Is the ‘Starc, Hazelwood and Cummins’ pace attack better than ‘McGrath, Lee and Gillespie’ attack?

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

Other than McGrath, all other fast bowlers were not any notch above these current Aussie fast bowlers.

pat cummins is yet to prove  a lot in Asia. Gillespie av:ged  26.13 after 71 tests and was  brilliant in Asia in general as well.So even if it is one-one comparisons

Mcgrath >> Cummins......much more longevity, much better all round record ,  better over all  avg:

Gillespie > Hazlewood .....much more longevity, better avg: ,  better all round record

Lee  =  starc  considering Lee's longevity

So all in all it is 1 or   2 levels above for me in favour of Mcgrath & co.

Add Warne & Lyon into  the mix ,  Mcgrath & co was atleast 2 levels superior

Edited by rtmohanlal
52 minutes ago, rtmohanlal said:

pat cummins is yet to prove  a lot in Asia. Gillespie av:ged  26.13 after 71 tests and was  brilliant in Asia in general as well.So even if it is one-one comparisons

Mcgrath >> Cummins......much more longevity, much better all round record ,  better over all  avg:

Gillespie > Hazlewood .....much more longevity, better avg: ,  better all round record

Lee  =  starc  considering Lee's longevity

So all in all it is 1 or   2 levels above for me in favour of Mcgrath & co.

Add Warne & Lyon into  the mix ,  Mcgrath & co was atleast 2 levels superior

Hazlewood averages 26 after 43 tests so not a small sample size. Both are equal. McGrath better than Cummins statewise 21 vs 23. Starc better than Brett Lee 28 vs 30. 

Special bowlers raise the quality of the total attack disproportionately.

McGrath and Warne were two such special bowlers.   When they played, that too two special bowlers together ...  they gave the Aussie attack an extra special quality.

Otherwise, there is not much qualitative difference between Gillespie and Hazlewood or Lee and Starc.

Cummins may become a special bowler in the coming days if he has longevity as a bowler, because he combines intelligence and match awareness with pace and bounce.

Edited by express bowling
21 minutes ago, Stan AF said:

Lee was actually a MOS in one of the most competitive BG Trophy affairs(2007/08). Plus I'm guessing he has like 300 Test wickets as well.

You may not know but Starc has 198 wickets in 48 tests.  As a comparison, Philander has 205 in 55 tests despite playing on bowling paradise of South Africa.

Edited by rkt.india
10 hours ago, AmreekanDesi said:

I genuinely think there is a case.

Lets compare like to like.

McGrath > Hazelwood. Ok no questions here. McGrath bests him hands down even though Hazelwood is great in his own right.

Starc > Lee. This is definitely close in Odis but in tests, Lee was never the same threat and didn’t play a lot either. Starc is streets ahead of Lee here imo

Cummins >> Gillespie. This is a clincher. No competition here.

Genuinely the current Aussie pace attack has claims to be better than the early 2000s one. 

I think they are better with the new ball but are not as good with the slightly older ball and outright poorer with the older one.

2 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

Gillespie > Hazelwood

this is a crucial bit. ( Although Hazelwood gets the new ball often)

I think Gillespie bowled better with the older ball. As good Hazelwood is, he is with new ball i think Gillespie outbowled him and could also bowl with lots of pace.

Mcgrath > Cummins  ( although Mcgrath opened bowling)

In terms of where Mcgrath is yes overall, and the fact that it was never possible to dominate of keep Mcgrath quite for long. But Cummins is very very good.

Lee/Starc - pretty much even.