South Africa the only unconquered fortress

CSK Fan

Its good that we have achieved it.. Next time we should win against Australia's full strength squad. 

To win in South Africa, we need very good set of openers plus a bunch of fast bowlers. We can only answer this after Prithvi Shaw plays a full series in one of the SENA countries. 

We will eventually get them on next tour. Kohli is developing pace culture. Bumrah is inspiring other youngsters.  We are not far from winning it. We came very close this year. 

Special mention to guys like Umesh Yadav who might not be good enough to playfor India right now overseas, but will go down as pioneer of India new fast bowling culture as whatever you might say, the guy bowled genuine fast for some

time and still is capable of. His fitness aspect needs to be commended whether you like him or not. You need such players around you and he did that for a while for India.

Yes, South Africa is the final frontier left now. We are going get them on our next tour.

Johannesburg ab door nahi.

27 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

I think Australia might also remain unconquered fortress if we lose this test.  All our bowlers are looking ineffective and Aussies are scoring easily.  They might take a lead by the end of Day 4.  

Only Australia can lose this game.

16 hours ago, sarcastic said:

@Gollum what are your comments about this>>> Should we be a proud nation now only SA remains unconquered or what team India has achieved is no big deal!

Neither of the extremes. We should feel good about our achievements, no matter how small or comfortable the task. I didn't follow the Australia tour but  I am sure it must have been impressive, no Australian side not even the Packer depleted ones surrendered easily at home. Australia is like Germany (football, hockey) of the cricket world, especially at home. 

But we can't hold on to them forever. Look at Australia in cricket or NZ in Rugby, they have won so much that their past victories are just expected logical outcomes for them. Nobody loses their mind latching on to past successes all the time, that is minnow mentality. The impetus should always be on the present and future, never the past. When Chris Evert won every single tennis tournament in the calendar (rare feat) she was asked by the press what next?  She replied 'to win everything once again, and then again and again'. And she did precisely that, that is what great champions do. 

We have historically been a poor cricket nation and inspite of an early initiation we started getting success very late. We still are nowhere near fulfilling our potential, with our human resources and status of the sport in India we should dominate ruthlessly. After so many years we still have so many gaping holes in our system and there is no push to improve it. If everything is done perfectly we should be able to field 4 Indian teams and they should be the top 4 teams in the world. At some point WI and Australia were good enough to field 2 world beater teams and we have numerous advantages over them. Cricket is a dying sport outside Asia and is going the kabaddi route, it isn't inconceivable that in 20 years time all SENAW teams will field brown majority teams, locals there have lost interests and participation in grass roots level is at an all time low. We will beat SA in the future I am sure, mainly because of their quota system and loss of interest among white population.

But the hard facts remain valid today, we lose a lot more in SENA than we win, we haven't won an ICC tournament in a very long time and we are yet to become a professional outfit. There is a lot more to achieve, we must set the highest standards possible and aim to be a team that transcends the sport (like All Blacks) and once we can do that there will be real reason to take pride unabashedly. And it isn't an impossible task in a sport like cricket with minuscule global competition. 

Edited by Gollum
1 hour ago, goose said:

the long predicted death of test cricket will by definition be preceded by a dominant India. I hope someone in India is keeping an eye on the health of world cricket. 

cricket is generating more revenue than ever before .. 

The problem I see for South africa is there are not many good young batsman coming through. The bowling is really good. Especially at home. Even Maharaj is a decent spinner.

Going forward its the middle order where SA need to bolster themselves. In series v India AB managed to paper over a lot of cracks. He is gone now. Faf and Amla will be around for 3-4 more years I suspect.