India-Aus rivalry : has there ever been any more fierce one in a time period spanning 3 decade period in the history of team sport??

The title says it all. We speak of the Ashes , we speak of India-Pakistan  cricket rivalry , we speak of Argentina-Brazil foot ball rivalry , but I am yet  to see such a close and intense battle in sports field in any ball sport  which is better than this  in a 30 year period. Ever since  the great Sachin arrived on to the  scene we witnessed some fierce battles between these 2 teams. Naturally several very good to legendary players  were involved in this battle thru out  like Kapil, Sachin,Sourav,Laxman,Sehwag,Kumble,Zaheer,Harbhajan,Srinath,Dhoni,Kohli ,Border, Boon, S.Waugh, M.Waugh, Hayden, Langer,Ponting , Gilchrist,Mcgrath,Warne,Gilliespie,Lee, Johnson,Smith etc etc.No wonder the results has been so close as this.

India in Australia 1991/92 Australia     4-0 (5)
Australia in India 1996/97 India         1-0 (1)
Australia in India 1997/98 India         2-1 (3)
India in Australia 1999/00 Australia    3-0 (3)
Australia in India 2000/01 India         2-1 (3)
India in Australia 2003/04 drawn       1-1 (4)
Australia in India 2004/05 Australia     2-1 (4)
India in Australia 2007/08 Australia     2-1 (4)
Australia in India 2008/09 India          2-0 (4)
Australia in India 2010/11 India          2-0 (2)
India in Australia 2011/12 Australia     4-0 (4)
Australia in India 2012/13 India          4-0 (4)
India in Australia 2014/15 Australia     2-0 (4)
Australia in India 2016/17 India          2-1 (4)
India in Australia 2018/19 India         2-1 (4)

total series played :     15 - India  8 - Australia  6 - drawn 1
in India:                        8 - India  7 - Australia  1 - drawn 0
in Australia :                  7 - India  1 - Australia  5 - drawn 1
total matches played: 53 - India 20 - Australia 22 - drawn 11
in India:                      25 - India 16 - Australia  5 - drawn 4
in Australia :                28 - India  4 - Australia 17 - drawn 7

If they could win slightly better number of matches ,we could win slightly more number of series.Thoughts.

Edited by rtmohanlal

Yes, it has been a fascinating rivalry and I would say it really took off in this century. In the 90s, it was pretty one sided depending on home team. If you look at the records from this century, we have won more matches. 

The Ashes have been competitive too in the last 15 years and SA-Aus has always been competitive and very fascinating. I think SA-Aus overall would be the most competitive rivalry over the last two decades with no clear favorite at home. 

Fierce rivalry yes, but it has unfortunately produced one sided results this decade starting from our 2011-12 tour to Aus.

In 2000s, the sides used to battle really hard and Tests would get decided in one bad hour by either team.

Not that I am complaining, thrashing the Aussies is always the greatest pleasure. I hope we can go onto have a similar status among our opposition fans.

29 minutes ago, Texan said:

Yes, it has been a fascinating rivalry and I would say it really took off in this century. In the 90s, it was pretty one sided depending on home team. If you look at the records from this century, we have won more matches. 

The Ashes have been competitive too in the last 15 years and SA-Aus has always been competitive and very fascinating. I think SA-Aus overall would be the most competitive rivalry over the last two decades with no clear favorite at home. 

in the past 30 years or so Aus has got convincingly better records against both Eng & Saf. Both Eng & Saf could win  series against them only after Mcgrath & Warne retired. From 90 onwards to around 2006 it was Aus all the way.  

Every series has been competitive barring 2011 from what I can remember.

I think closest which comes is South Aftica vs Australia where both teams haven’t been able to defend or win series at their home because of similar bowling friendly conditions and good bowling attacks all the time.

I would say India vs Aus and South Africs vs Aus have been equally fun to watch.

13 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Every series has been competitive barring 2011 from what I can remember.

I think closest which comes is South Aftica vs Australia where both teams haven’t been able to defend or win series at their home because of similar bowling friendly conditions and good bowling attacks all the time.

I would say India vs Aus and South Africs vs Aus have been equally fun to watch.

there is a stretch from 90 - 2006 where AUS almost  completely  demolished SAF both home & abroad. Once the AUS great bowlers retired SAF started competing  well. Till that time it was a one sided affair

1 hour ago, rtmohanlal said:

there is a stretch from 90 - 2006 where AUS almost  completely  demolished SAF both home & abroad. Once the AUS great bowlers retired SAF started competing  well. Till that time it was a one sided affair

Yes, it depends how far you want to go.

India va Aus is really the best and most competitive bur I would say as just a fast bowling enthusiast, I enjoy watchinf Aus vs Nz equally. I enjoyed how Saf bowlinf has done well in Australia in recent two tours. Its just fun test crixket to watch.

No offense to Indian pitches or Indian spinners who test the overseas batsmen big time and win many games for India, I love watching fast bowling more and watching Umesh and Shami run through Aus and England batting line up in India was more fun to me than watching Ashwin and Jadeja dominate.

I say India/Aus and Saf/Aus are the series I always look forward to the most.

Also South Africa vs England test series can be fun to watch. 

2 hours ago, Number said:

With this win we go one up on them as we have beaten them in their backyard.

Engerland is the only test team which has lead against us since 2011.

2011 onwards is a very short time span.  If we take 1990 onwards we have good record against ENG too I think. The one country that might have an upper hand against us would be  SAF  by a bit.