Our Domestic circuit is producing readymade cricketers?

gakgupta

Is it fair to say that our domestic circuit is churning out better quality --- all-condition -- cricketers these days?

Look at Pant, Agarwal, Shaw, Kuldeep and vihari.....All these players looked ready and has the required skill to handle world-class bowling in alien conditions.....

I still remember those days where our players used to "fish out of water" when exposed to international quality bowlers....most of them used to over-whelmed.....

Sometimes, commentators used to make fun of them.....Devang Gandhi, Aaskah chopra etc....

With all this success, i am not sure why our selectors are shying away from doing the same to our ODI side....

Vihari, Mayank,Shaw, Pant,Kuldeep has already prooven that performance in domestic league is as good as International standard. If not better, Our domestic league is as competetive and mature as the one of South Africa and Australia during nineties. We can simply ask a player to walk in and he will setlle at International level by mid series

3 hours ago, gakgupta said:

Is it fair to say that our domestic circuit is churning out better quality --- all-condition -- cricketers these days?

Look at Pant, Agarwal, Shaw, Kuldeep and vihari.....All these players looked ready and has the required skill to handle world-class bowling in alien conditions.....

I still remember those days where our players used to "fish out of water" when exposed to international quality bowlers....most of them used to get over-whelmed.....

Sometimes, commentators used to make fun of them.....Devang Gandhi, Aaskah chopra etc....

With all this success, i am not sure why our selectors are shying away from doing the same to our ODI side....

Also more states now are competitive in Ranji, more players to choose from, before for finals it was always Mumbai vs TBC, therefore inevitably selectors were always bias towards Mumbai players.

Even in recent recent years selectors wasted so many games picking likes of Kulkarni and Thakur.

I still recall at one point Ramesh Powar playing Tests for India :facepalm:

A tours are big.  But domestic cricket, training, coaching, all have improved.  

Let me just put it this way, I remember the days when we had the likes of Debang Gandhi going to Australia as opener, on the back of some huge domestic numbers, only to get humiliated as an opening batsman.  Just contrast that with Mayank on boxing day, how he handled Starc, Cummins and co.  

I think ideal thing is that players are spending more time between domestic and A games. The A tours are getting longer and on top of that players are getting to play in numerous other tournaments from Ranji to other challenger tournaments, be it a different format.

So players are coming into Indian side with more experience and runs under their belt than before.

BCCI has done well in organize more tournaments now and that is helping cricketers even though the tournaments might be List A tournaments, FC cricketers scoring runs there too gives them confidence before they are picked in the Indian side.

Mayank's Ranji stint is valuable for his success in there recent test series, but so were his runs in List A cricket on A tours. They have all made him the batsman he is today. 

On 1/7/2019 at 9:23 AM, sandeep said:

A tours are big.  But domestic cricket, training, coaching, all have improved.  

Let me just put it this way, I remember the days when we had the likes of Debang Gandhi going to Australia as opener, on the back of some huge domestic numbers, only to get humiliated as an opening batsman.  Just contrast that with Mayank on boxing day, how he handled Starc, Cummins and co.   

did you really have to bring gandhi up? ah, the (painful) memories.