Indian captains

Ind captains have not been a complete package so it is hard to pick one. Some have lead from the front but tactically have been not strong and vice versa. Good captains may not have strong teams, bad captains may have appeared good because of strong teams 

Based on what I have read, I would be inclined to pick Pataudi.

Ganguly deserves a mention too for creating a fighting India but led one of the strongest Ind sides ever so his moves worked out. Kohli is tactically weak relatively but pushed fast bowlers. Dhoni won so many tourneys that he appeared like a lucky captain (but pushed trundlers). Wadaker is said to be a lucky captain too. Gavaskar was probably a safe captain (he would rather not lose)

Among guys who have captained Ind here and there, Rohit appears to be a clever captain. Sehwag too when he captained, picked wkt taking spinners such as Mishra. Srikanth was probably innovative too

Edited by zen
1 minute ago, zen said:

Ind captains have not been a complete package so it is hard to pick one. Some have lead from the front but tactically have been not strong and vice versa. Good captains may not have strong teams, bad captains may have appeared good because of strong teams 

Ganguly deserves a mention too for creating a fighting India but led one of the strongest Ind sides ever so his moves worked out. Kohli is tactically weak relatively but pushed fast bowlers. Dhoni won so many tourneys that he appeared like a lucky captain (but pushed trundlers). Wadaker is said to be a lucky captain too. Gavaskar was probably a safe captain (he would rather not lose) 

Indeed Pataudi was a very good captain.  We won the NZ test series under Pataudi in 1967. Even today we play Pataudi Trophy (Test series against England) in his name. There are very few Indian captains who have trophies being played with their names. The most important feature of Pataudi was he got the winning mentality into the team. 

Kapil dev gets very underrated as a captain.He was victim of stereotype because he was not fluent in English along with back stabbing and politics. Yes India lost world cup semis at home but how many winninable cups did MS Dhoni's captaincy cost us in T20s. Dhoni somehow is rated a great captain but Kapil one of the worst by even Indians which is ridiculous.

Edited by putrevus

I think the  captains who do not have trophies played with their names are Kapil, Ganguly, Bedi, Nari Contractor, Dravid, Wadekar, Kumble, Vengsarkar, Dhoni. Not much aware about captains before 1950's.

I think Patuadi won us first ever overseas test series in NZ (1967), isn't it ?

Pataudi, Sachin, Sunny are the ones who have trophies played with their names.  Anyone else i am missing ?

Edited by Straight Drive

Ganguly in ODIs

T20s -there is no good captain. Only pathetic captain 

Tests - Kohli so far. Most of his recent losses have been due to his pathetic openers. Even if we had the 2001 openers, we would have won a few more matches the last year. His on field captaincy is brilliant. Never see him conceding like the last idiot captain we had who bowled Raina continuously in the first test of South Africa series in 2010 so they would declare. Look at the home series against england, how many tosses we lost and one game england only made a high score due to dropped catches. 

If we just consider from 1980 on wards ( at least by my limited knowledge)

Kohli definitely the most aggressive minus team selection & pitch reading, making the most of formidable pace attack.

Kapil for me stands out pretty aggressive in a defensive era of 80s and probably the one of the best considering he won miracle 1983 WC, won 1986 Eng series and close to winning in Aus too ( he actually lost to WI at peak 2-0 away series when all ENA were blanked 5-0, 4-0). 

Ganguly, considering build a new team, at that time was probably the next most aggressive captain. Great test wins in Aus, Eng and going to final of WC'03.

Gavaskar was most defensive (following trend of that era) followed by Dhoni and Dravid ...Dhoni even with trundlers post 2010 should have won 3-4 more tests in WI, NZ, Eng while Dravid great technically was guilty of not forcing more wins in WI (2006 series) and Eng (3rd test 2007).

48 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

Ganguly in ODIs

T20s -there is no good captain. Only pathetic captain 

Tests - Kohli so far. Most of his recent losses have been due to his pathetic openers. Even if we had the 2001 openers, we would have won a few more matches the last year. His on field captaincy is brilliant. Never see him conceding like the last idiot captain we had who bowled Raina continuously in the first test of South Africa series in 2010 so they would declare. Look at the home series against england, how many tosses we lost and one game england only made a high score due to dropped catches. 

I would put Dhoni ahead of Ganguly in odis.

1 hour ago, zen said:

Among guys who have captained Ind here and there, Rohit appears to be a clever captain. Sehwag too when he captained, picked wkt taking spinners such as Mishra. Srikanth was probably innovative too

Wadekar wins were hugely impacted by Sunny's batting in WI and England series. We also had the world's best  ever spin quartet till date and that spin quartet performed for him.  He made good use of players.  Approach wise he was laid back captain who thought more and acted but spoke less.

Edited by Straight Drive
1 hour ago, singhprakash72 said:

To be fair he was in one of the toughest tours to Pak & WI when famous spin quartet was fading away.

Agree. Imran was at his best in 1982 and 1983. Zaheer Abbas was also playing that time in that team iirc. Wasim Bari was good wicket keeper bat. Mudasar Nazar, Salim Malik, Qadir. Sarfraz Nawaz. It was the team to beat at their home.

The spin quartet did not play as their careers were over by then. Apart from Kapil we had no good bowler during those years. 

Edited by Straight Drive