Sign in to follow this  
Number

India were ranked 7th in tests when Kohli took over

10 minutes ago, Number said:

https://www.thehindu.com/sport/cricket/india-slip-to-seventh-in-test-rankings/article6777879.ece

1. South Africa (124 rating points)

2. Australia (118)

3. England (104)

4. Pakistan (103)

5. New Zealand (99)

6. Sri Lanka (96)

7. India (95) --> further dropped to 93 in April

8. West Indies (76)

Virat is really an underrated test captain.

He deserves a lot of credit for overhauling this team's culture.

He took over a really really uninspiring and insipid bowling line up and turned them into a world class attack. 

Wow , I totally forgot how low we had fallen then.Dhoni quit in middle of the series.Yet people somehow think Kohli is a bad captain.He has taken rag tag team and turned them into world no1.

Said this in another thread: Kohli, to me, is India's greatest test captain already.

1. Inherited a battered and bruised team who got drubbings in 2 overseas cycles 2011 - 2012, 2013 - 2015. I laugh when people say Kohli is lucky to have a fast bowling attack like he has. They forget they all played under Dhoni (except Bumrah). Kohli brought tactics, motivation, fire, agility, fitness, fast bowlers being wicket takers and not containers, he backed and praised his pacers. We saw this change even in 2015 Sri Lanka series with Ishant, and all pacers in West Indies in 2016. Kohli helped take India to number 1 from the gutter.

2. Home dominance - no series lost, beat every team they faced, made fast bowlers prominent on subcontinental tracks, ashwin and jadeja bowled better than they ever did under Dhoni, fields set to get wickets, all rounders built through ashwin and jadeja. India crushed every opposition, and played better than even previous indian teams at home. Faced top teams like SA, Aussies, England with strong squads and beat them.

3. Overseas wins - not perfect but better than dhoni and previous captains. Wins in SA, ENG and AUS in the same year. 2 wins in Aus in same series (would have been 3 but for rain). First team to win series in AUS. India has gained respect under Kohli's leadership, it is the true number 1 and has validated its ranking.

4. Alpha AF! Not meek, surrendering to opposition, umpires or media. He gives it his all, backs his team, and often has the last laugh. 

5. The future - created fast bowling culture, opportunity to youngsters, blueprint on how to win overseas as a TEAM. Now looking for 3 more pacers: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/india-in-australia/virat-kohli-looks-ahead-says-three-more-pacers-needed-to-manage-workload/articleshow/67418798.cms

KOHLI is the GOAT for Indian Test Captains. Always knew he would change indian cricket for the better - a team I can be proud of!

4 hours ago, Number said:

https://www.thehindu.com/sport/cricket/india-slip-to-seventh-in-test-rankings/article6777879.ece

1. South Africa (124 rating points)

2. Australia (118)

3. England (104)

4. Pakistan (103)

5. New Zealand (99)

6. Sri Lanka (96)

7. India (95) --> further dropped to 93 in April

8. West Indies (76)

Virat is really an underrated test captain.

He deserves a lot of credit for overhauling this team's culture.

He took over a really really uninspiring and insipid bowling line up and turned them into a world class attack. 

You know what's also interesting? Virat didn't win a Test until his 5th one as captain. I believe he has now won 26 in total 47 Tests as captain. 

As obnoxious and bone-headed as he can be at times, his commitment to succeeding in Test cricket cannot be questioned.

Kudos to Virat, thats a  colossal achievement. Prioritizing test cricket would be his biggest legacy as a captain. This has been repeatedly talked about by Sky experts in Eng and also during Aus tour. These kind of results and ranking can only happen, if you consider the format as paramount.

Virat is prone to making some inane changes in the side, sometime that seem whimisical. If he improves on that, he will keep flourishing.;

india not remains number 1 all time.soonar or later we have test series in SA and Eng so i do not think we can be number 1 even we beat zimbabwe and westindies at home

Edited by Starpower

22 minutes ago, fineleg said:

You ( @Number ) just caused Ticz to orgasm!

Truth is somewhere in the middle as always, there are plenty of mistakes (serious mistakes) that VK does as captain too.

Agree 

virat not a good captain otherwise he finds solution to removes tails, too soon, by now

Whoa!!. Thanks for the link.

I knew India was performing bad but didn't imagine it was this poor. Another stellar achievement from Dhoni. Good riddance.

Shows two things -

1. How pathetic Dhoni became as a Test captain when the seniors faded away by 2012, he just could not handle the transition. Tests always were last on his priority and he saw away tests as just practice, had ZERO ambition to see his team excel in Tests.

2. Kohli's thrust on winning Test series and being the best team in the world was explicit from the very beginning. He promoted a culture of fitness in the team. That he liked pacers was also evident and that has shown in results.

He has some problems around team selection but is not adamant like Dhoni to keep using the same strategy till the time it works.

The big issue with Kohli's captaincy is in the shorter formats and his over reliance on the seniors. Somehow the magic he has done with pacers in tests hasn't quite worked with our LOI batsmen. I always believed that till the time Dhoni goes away, the shorter format teams will not really be Kohli's team who embrace his playing philosophy.

His energy is superb and mind boggling for a 5 day test match.
Never lets the game to slip, thats why we have never been outbatted/outclassed by opposition in his captaincy.
He may not be great tactician/ makes lot of errors but no doubt he is a great leader.

But in ODIs he needs to be proactive, come out of dhoni's shadow and give chances to youngsters not TTFs.

3 hours ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Shows two things -

1. How pathetic Dhoni became as a Test captain when the seniors faded away by 2012, he just could not handle the transition. Tests always were last on his priority and he saw away tests as just practice, had ZERO ambition to see his team excel in Tests.

2. Kohli's thrust on winning Test series and being the best team in the world was explicit from the very beginning. He promoted a culture of fitness in the team. That he liked pacers was also evident and that has shown in results.

He has some problems around team selection but is not adamant like Dhoni to keep using the same strategy till the time it works.

The big issue with Kohli's captaincy is in the shorter formats and his over reliance on the seniors. Somehow the magic he has done with pacers in tests hasn't quite worked with our LOI batsmen. I always believed that till the time Dhoni goes away, the shorter format teams will not really be Kohli's team who embrace his playing philosophy.

The last two tests in the 2014 England tour was abysmal. No fight nothing. I think that was the worst moment after winning in Lords. .. then came Kohli in the Adelaide test and the rest is

Edited by neel roy

I dont think anybody thought India would become number 1 again. Yet here we are, 26 months in a row as number 1. We might lose our rank due to England thrashing Aus in the ashes and lack of tests from our side. But with a home cycle coming up I am confidence we will regain it with ease.

King Kohli :hatsoff:

Needs a bit of improvement in team selection esp. around the batting group, but he's been fantastic in other important areas.

1) Respect for test cricket's legacy and its history. Taking pride in test performances, both as a captain and as a batsman.

2) Building/encouraging a good bowling attack esp. fast bowling. Always makes sure that bowlers get due credit in his post match chats and press conferences.

3) Maintaining intensity and not giving up on the field as a team for much longer periods compared to previous teams.

15 minutes ago, G_B_ said:

I dont think anybody thought India would become number 1 again. Yet here we are, 26 months in a row as number 1. We might lose our rank due to England thrashing Aus in the ashes and lack of tests from our side. But with a home cycle coming up I am confidence we will regain it with ease.

i think, Australia is already planning to bring back Smith and Warner...

If that happens, then thrashing is not that easy

His captaincy is the complete opposite of Dhoni. While Dhoni played it safe and would rather look to take the game to a point where there's no chance for them to lose, Kohli is aggressive such as his declarations in this series. Dhoni would've never declared as early as Kohli did.

That's probably also because he didn't trust the bowlers, but on the other hand, he cultivated that sort of environment where bowlers would have to depend on him on where to bowl and not think for themselves.

Kohli formed a pack of fast bowlers that performed everywhere. But it's the batsmen that aren't backing up the bowlers in countries like England and South Africa which is why we lost thoae series. 

His next goal should be to find the next crop of Test batsmen that can perform consistently in both home and away conditions and he would be able to perform a world-beating side.

2 hours ago, gakgupta said:

i think, Australia is already planning to bring back Smith and Warner...

If that happens, then thrashing is not that easy

Even with Smith and Warner England will trash Aus. 18 years since Aus won a test series in England (by the time they play in 2019)

I suspect the much vaunted Aussie bowling is over hyped. 

England in England has too many weapons and it has too many allrounders. three fast bowler plus Lyon will not work.India was never blown out of any test both in England and SA. That is a credit to Kohli , if he had this Pujara tyoe performance in either of the tours India would have won both tours.

7 hours ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Shows two things -

You're beating a dead horse here. I've been saying that for a while now. Unfortunately, there are chamchas who judge Kohlis captaincy based on IPL with RCB. 

3 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

You're beating a dead horse here. I've been saying that for a while now. Unfortunately, there are chamchas who judge Kohlis captaincy based on IPL with RCB. 

Spot on Kohli has done an excellent job in odis also, I am surprised that he is mentioned as some sort of failure.He has been saddled with a dead horse in Dhoni who adds nothing to the team and yet somehow is in the team.

Edited by putrevus

3 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Spot on Kohli has done an excellent job in odis also, I am surprised that he is mentioned as some sort of failure.He has been saddled with a dead horse in Dhoni who adds nothing to the team and yet somehow is in the team.

What is stopping him from dropping dhoni?

5 minutes ago, Stan AF said:

What is stopping him from dropping dhoni?

Dhoni just like Sachin has become bigger than the team itself.Kohli I don't think has a say on it.Dhoni should be ashamed of himself , he should have playing all Ranji trophy and proving that he is still hungry.

He has become like Sachin who was skipping WI tour and attending Wimbledon as a prepartion for toughest tour.