Australian Open 2019

Number

Guys who’s waiting for Nadal va Di Minaur in round 3? Both are yet to face their round 2 opponents and I hope both of them win because I feel Di Minaur is going to play the match of his life against Nadal in front of his hom crowd.

He is a future grandslam champion and one of the most talented sportsmen currently on earth. Yes, thats big statement but having seen enough of him upclose and from court side, I can say he is a talent you can’t ignore.

I am feeling an upset. Lets go Di Minaur. 

8 hours ago, Cricketics said:

Guys who’s waiting for Nadal va Di Minaur in round 3? Both are yet to face their round 2 opponents and I hope both of them win because I feel Di Minaur is going to play the match of his life against Nadal in front of his hom crowd.

He is a future grandslam champion and one of the most talented sportsmen currently on earth. Yes, thats big statement but having seen enough of him upclose and from court side, I can say he is a talent you can’t ignore.

I am feeling an upset. Lets go Di Minaur. 

De Minaur right now doesn't have the weapons to trouble Nadal, nor the fitness and muscle mass to last another long gruelling match after today. This is going to be bad for De Minaur. I see Nadal-Berdych to be the real matchup. Berdych turning back the years and looking in deadly form.

13 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

De Minaur right now doesn't have the weapons to trouble Nadal, nor the fitness and muscle mass to last another long gruelling match after today. This is going to be bad for De Minaur. I see Nadal-Berdych to be the real matchup. Berdych turning back the years and looking in deadly form.

Yes, Berdych is back to his closest best but I don’t see him beating Nadal.

Regarding Di Minaur, I feel he will play better in front of his home crowd in a Davis Cup atmosphere when he faces Nadal. It will bring him to play like Lleyton Hewitt.

I am just feeling something special about that game. Hopefully it will be a cracking 5 setter. 

8 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Yes, Berdych is back to his closest best but I don’t see him beating Nadal.

Regarding Di Minaur, I feel he will play better in front of his home crowd in a Davis Cup atmosphere when he faces Nadal. It will bring him to play like Lleyton Hewitt.

I am just feeling something special about that game. Hopefully it will be a cracking 5 setter. 

Maybe, but based on the matches so far, Nadal will cruise to the 4th round. His serve seems to be more deadly and revamped.  Even if de Minaur channels his inner Hewitt wouldn't trouble Nadal unless Nadal gets injured again. For de Minaur to out grind/push nadal, he would need to play and retrieve balls to the level of djokovic or peak Ferrer to stand a chance.

Edited by I6MTW

28 minutes ago, Number said:

Tsitsipas has arrived.

More like the end has arrived for Federer.

Tsitsipas was not great, was just solid. He'll lose to Agut, if not bend over to Nadal. Seems like AO's there for the taking for Nadal/Djokovic.

Unlike in the past, there's no coming back for Roger this time, time waits for no man.

Its safe to write federer off now.

He was awful, error fest from the FH, no longer the glorious shot it once was. Unprecedented choking levels on BP, 0-12 conversation. The only reason the match was so close because of his serve and variety. He couldn't even keep up with Tsitsipas at the baseline in set 3 and 4. 

It's sad now.

Edited by I6MTW

Its sad to see Federer lose but I doubt Federer is out of this. He still reached 4th round and we saw this style of play from Federer even during 2015-2017 where he even got knocked out earlier than 4th round once.

its not like he is playing bad tennis, others are pushing and I am sure he has a slam win or two still left int he tank. Yes, he is indeed not the same player he was but in Tennis, within few months from tournaments to tournaments things change fast and I am sure come Indian wells and Miami tournament, two tournaments where federer has had success, he will find his groove.  Again. I expect a slam this year from Fed.  

Congrats to Tsitsipas. Young bright talent. I was in his press conference in my local citi open in DC where I volunteer as journalist. He always seemed a level headed guy to me among most youngsters. More power to him. 

13 hours ago, I6MTW said:

More like the end has arrived for Federer.

Tsitsipas was not great, was just solid. He'll lose to Agut, if not bend over to Nadal. Seems like AO's there for the taking for Nadal/Djokovic.

Unlike in the past, there's no coming back for Roger this time, time waits for no man.

Its safe to write federer off now.

He was awful, error fest from the FH, no longer the glorious shot it once was. Unprecedented choking levels on BP, 0-12 conversation. The only reason the match was so close because of his serve and variety. He couldn't even keep up with Tsitsipas at the baseline in set 3 and 4. 

It's sad now.

Nadal looking scary! Probably his best hard court form. Absolutely thrashed Tsitsipas. Rafa's best chance for the DCGS and 18th to catch up Roger. He's played very less this tournament(12hr), straight setted everyone with minimal no of games lost, huge revamped serve, all aspects of his game firing, easy draw, conserved energy and fitness, hasn't played in 4 months plus an extra days rest for the final.He's fully revamped and rejuvenated. He'll probably face an unimpressive Djokovic this time as well. Even if he faces Pouille, it's more NID. If Rafa doesn't win this AO, he'll never win it again. This is his best chance.

Edited by I6MTW

That was some dismantling.

Nadal is really looking in ominous form and on other hand Djokovic had an easy outing against Bishikori and he won’t be too happy going I to final thinking he did not complete the win. It wasn’t in his hands though that Kei retired.

Anyway, Nadal having not dropped a set and winning easily shows he is the favorite surely.

Rafa, with all the games he lost to Djokovic in all these years when Djoker was being monster on tour and winning everything, has his best chance to settle the score with Djoker. 

Congrats Osaka- Indian Wells, USO, AO and now the new world number 1...all in a space of 10 months :hatsoff:.

Proud of Kvitova, after such a terrible incident (knife attack 2 years back) even holding a racquet needs enormous mental resilience, hope she goes all the way in SW19....too good a player to hold only 2 majors.  

Pumped up for tomorrow's final, should be another epic struggle. Come on Nole :cheer:

Edited by Gollum

I am glad Osaka won. By far the most exciting and attacking game play on WTA tour. It was a tussle and class slugfest and Kvitova was brilliant indeed but I am glad Osaka got her moment of being crowned the grandslam champion which she did not properly get at the us open due to Serena controversy.

Deserving winner and a fantastic final game played by both the players.