Andy Murray could quit any time

Cricketics

Sad press conference today. He tried it all it seems and this been going and playing through pain for over 2 years.

I saw him in DC last year where he won all the games and  retired before his quarter finals and left the tournament in pain to keep his body fit for the US Open which was to take place 3 weeks later. I had a feeling he couldn’t continue like this and today he has shared it with all.

Its sad because he is really a top fighter.

I mean any one who won even one grandslam in the FAb 3 era of Djokovic, Federer and Nadal deserves respect.

Andy Murray will go down in Hall of Fame for sure but a real sad end this. I hope he can retire in front of his fans in Wimbledon.

He plans to retire after SW19 but may do so earlier (after AO) if pain bothers him. Never liked him but can't deny he was a great fighter and got the best out of his abilities in the toughest era of men's tennis. Also a champion of gender equality who proved his commitment via actions and not merely words. 

@Muloghonto was absolutely right about dangers of hip injury in professional sports, looks like there is no way back once hip starts failing. Mulo bhai said this stuff repeatedly long back even with respect to Murray IIRC. This may also mean that Ashwin's career is close to over, maybe the Southampton test should be viewed differently because he was carrying a hip injury in that match and yet was played. Ashwin also has the pivot problem post 2017, no wonder his numbers have taken a dip compared to his very high standards during his peak phase. 

Nadal's knees (major) and wrist (minor)

Federer's back and knees

Nole's elbow and shoulder

Murray's hip

Interesting to see that the member of Big 4 with least mileage on the tour will retire first. I always though it would first be Fed or Rafa to pull the plug. 

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

He plans to retire after SW19 but may do so earlier (after AO) if pain bothers him. Never liked him but can't deny he was a great fighter and got the best out of his abilities in the toughest era of men's tennis. Also a champion of gender equality who proved his commitment via actions and not merely words. 

@Muloghonto was absolutely right about dangers of hip injury in professional sports, looks like there is no way back once hip starts failing. Mulo bhai said this stuff repeatedly long back even with respect to Murray IIRC. This may also mean that Ashwin's career is close to over, maybe the Southampton test should be viewed differently because he was carrying a hip injury in that match and yet was played. Ashwin also has the pivot problem post 2017, no wonder his numbers have taken a dip compared to his very high standards during his peak phase. 

Interested Gollum why you did not like him ?

Sad end. I wasnt a fan of his tennis, but enjoyed some of his matches with djokovic and other players. Truly a legend of the sport. Played in the toughest era of all time, won 3 slams, made finals of all the GS's. Won 14 masters titles. Completed 7 out of 9. Won a total of 45 titles in the era of the big 3. Most wins against them as well. Plus the two Olympic gold medals. 

He deserves an AO after making 5 finals. But sadly, not to be. Just imagine, how his career wouldve turned out after 2016, if he was healthy, he could've carried the momentum, and won a few more slams. But that 2016 season destroyed him.

4 hours ago, Tattieboy said:

Interested Gollum why you did not like him ?

Nothing personal, just found his on court playing style and behavior boring, plus he gets to be with the gorgeous Kim Sears :angry:. Aaaand the British media hype, that always puts me off. I respect Andy the person, lovely principled guy with dry humor exactly the way I like. He deserved at least one AO plus a few more majors, far lesser players than him possess more trophies just because of the era they were in.   

Edited by Gollum

@Tattieboy how would you rank the all time great Scottish sports-persons? I will have only Sir Chris Hoy above Andy Murray, although I admit my knowledge about football and rugby is on shaky ground. Gosh you Scots must be the weakest sporting unit of Great Britain+Ireland, do the others give you a tough time regarding this :p:?

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

Both 

Angry in tennis that he works as hard as possible and expects perfection from himself , maybe instead of angry I would call it determination.

Off court he is happy , rather shy and wary of strangers but in the company of people he knows very very funny and can take a laugh at himself . 

Very popular guy with his fellow pro's but hugely popular with the female pro's , they just think he is fantastic , really the first male who regularly speaks up for them . 

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

@Tattieboy how would you rank the all time great Scottish sports-persons? I will have only Sir Chris Hoy above Andy Murray, although I admit my knowledge about football and rugby is on shaky ground. Gosh you Scots must be the weakest sporting unit of Great Britain+Ireland, do the others give you a tough time regarding this :p:?

He looked upon as Scotland's greatest sportsman to date . To come from a town of 9,000 in a country where we have no tennis at all . To give you perspective on that , you know my cricket background but I was also a decent footballer and played many many sports in my youth . I never  played tennis, never knew anyone who did, never have seen a tennis match , it's just not a sport here in Scotland for Andy to reach the heights he did is really a miracle .Nope you cheeky beggar we are not , stronger than Wales , Northern Ireland and considering England 13 times bigger than us we compete with them at most sports , we are not underachievers at least not in the way India is :biggrin:

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

Nothing personal, just found his on court playing style and behavior boring, plus he gets to be with the gorgeous Kim Sears :angry:. Aaaand the British media hype, that always puts me off. I respect Andy the person, lovely principled guy with dry humor exactly the way I like. He deserved at least one AO plus a few more majors, far lesser players than him possess more trophies just because of the era they were in.   

Andy Murray was British when he won , Scottish when he lost , typical English media . 

Hey get behind me for  Kim Sears !!!:p:

23 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

Both 

Angry in tennis that he works as hard as possible and expects perfection from himself , maybe instead of angry I would call it determination.

Off court he is happy , rather shy and wary of strangers but in the company of people he knows very very funny and can take a laugh at himself . 

Very popular guy with his fellow pro's but hugely popular with the female pro's , they just think he is fantastic , really the first male who regularly speaks up for them . 

Nah that was a link, just click on it and tell me your score. 

13 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

He looked upon as Scotland's greatest sportsman to date . To come from a town of 9,000 in a country where we have no tennis at all . To give you perspective on that , you know my cricket background but I was also a decent footballer and played many many sports in my youth . I never  played tennis, never knew anyone who did, never have seen a tennis match , it's just not a sport here in Scotland for Andy to reach the heights he did is really a miracle .Nope you cheeky beggar we are not , stronger than Wales , Northern Ireland and considering England 13 times bigger than us we compete with them at most sports , we are not underachievers at least not in the way India is :biggrin:

Why bring in India chum :biggrin:? We are surrounded by neighbors who do even worse than us, so we tend to stand out in the crowd :p:and don't get ragged by them. You guys may have to frequently interact with the Welsh, English and Leprechauns, big difference.

Wales has Bale, Giggs while Northern Ireland has Best and Mcllroy. England has too many to count....poor ol' Scotland :phehe:

Edited by Gollum

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

Nah that was a link, just click on it and tell me your score. 

Why bring in India chum :biggrin:? We are surrounded by neighbors who do even worse than us, so we tend to stand out in the crowd :p:and don't get ragged by them. You guys may have to frequently interact with the Welsh, English and Leprechauns, big difference.

Wales has Bale, Giggs while Northern Ireland has Best and Mcllroy. England has too many to count....poor ol' Scotland :phehe:

I think you should stick to cricket matey, I shall just mention a few Scots , Ferguson , Busby, Shankly, , Stein, Dalglish. Souness, Hansen, Law, now these don't come into the Rahul category of all frills and no nickers :biggrin:

McIlroy?? McIlroy ?? McIlroy?? That is real desperation 

13 hours ago, Gollum said:

I've seen first hand a few sports careers ruined by hip injuries, it makes a decisive difference even to the serious weekend-warrior types. 

I am no medical expert, but the way i undertand it is, there are two classes of hip injuries - muscular and skeletal. If you develop arthritis of the hip - which can happen if you play sports that torque your hip a lot ( a lot of quick direction changes, like tennis, basketball, badminton, etc), its game over: it will keep deteriorating with time and only way to prolong career is to reduce workload and reduce performance. Weekend warriors can get away with this (swallow their competetive pride) but for professional athletes, it over. 

I believe this is the kind of injury Murray had - though its rumours and we don't know what happened to his hip. 

Muscular hip injuries are also extremely serious, since hip flexors are not big muscles and once you develop weakness of the hip, its extremely difficult to recover from it ( because the muscle basically over-streches and elongates under stress sometimes). This has a cascade effect, as it can rotate your pelvis, put it out of alignment and then your back gets screwed in the process, you can develop bladder issues because of the tilt, etc.  But this is something that can be managed, minimized via sports therapy. It still requires daily maintanance and tagetted massage, streching, strengthening, etc. 

If Ashwin's hip issue is from muscles, he MAY be able to nurse it, provided he gets top level physio support and he is committed to maximum hip rehab. Its possible, since he now basically only plays Tests + IPL so he is not under continuous workload year round. 

Long story short, hip injuries are one of those that doesn't sound as bad as a busted knee or a completely mangled ankle, but it is the an absolute disaster for a sports person - its the equivalent of having a stroke basically - looks less serious on the surface than a million other diseases, but it almost always diminishes the person's abilities.

7 hours ago, Tattieboy said:

really ?

I'd have thoughts Scots thought higher of Montgomery, no ?

7 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

really ?

I'd have thoughts Scots thought higher of Montgomery, no ?

For greatness in golf don't you need to win majors? 

Scotland is second to America in number of major wins, 55 by 31 players .....Colin Montgomery achieved zero major wins , in the country that invented golf , is deemed the Home of Golf that's not a good record .

Andy Murrays achievements were also done with no funding by the Lawn Tennis Association which has spent million and millions and millions on middle class English boys trying to achieve what Andy and his parents achieved on their own .