Vijay Shankar, Shubman Gill named replacements for Pandya, Rahul

SecondSlip

India have roped in Shubman Gill and Vijay Shankar to replace KL Rahul and Hardik Pandya for the ongoing ODI series in Australia as well as the limited-overs series in New Zealand that follows. While Gill will join the squad only for the New Zealand tour that comprises of five ODIs and three T20Is, Vijay will be joining the team ahead of the second ODI of the ongoing series against Australia.

Pandya and Rahul, who were part of the initial squad to Australia, were sent back home after BCCI took an objection to the comments they made on a chat show on TV. The duo have been given seven days to explain why proceedings shouldn't be initiated against them for misconduct and indiscipline under Rule 41 of the BCCI Constitution.

19-year-old Gill will return to New Zealand where he was named the player of the tournament during India's successful U-19 World Cup campaign last year. Post the tournament, he has had a rapid rise that saw him make runs for India A and for Punjab in the domestic circuit. Gill also managed to bag an IPL contract for the first time when he was picked up by Kolkata Knight Riders and the fruitful 12-month period has culminated in a maiden callup to the senior side.

Vijay on the other hand, has already represented India five times in the T20 format when he was picked to play in the Nidahas Trophy. He is widely viewed by the selectors as the backup pace bowling allrounder and had a good outing in New Zealand recently during the A tour.

https://m.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/106112/vijay-shankar-shubman-gill-to-replace-pandya-rahul-for-australia-nz-series

Just now, SecondSlip said:

India have roped in Shubman Gill and Vijay Shankar to replace KL Rahul and Hardik Pandya for the ongoing ODI series in Australia as well as the limited-overs series in New Zealand that follows. While Gill will join the squad only for the New Zealand tour that comprises of five ODIs and three T20Is, Vijay will be joining the team ahead of the second ODI of the ongoing series against Australia.

Pandya and Rahul, who were part of the initial squad to Australia, were sent back home after BCCI took an objection to the comments they made on a chat show on TV. The duo have been given seven days to explain why proceedings shouldn't be initiated against them for misconduct and indiscipline under Rule 41 of the BCCI Constitution.

19-year-old Gill will return to New Zealand where he was named the player of the tournament during India's successful U-19 World Cup campaign last year. Post the tournament, he has had a rapid rise that saw him make runs for India A and for Punjab in the domestic circuit. Gill also managed to bag an IPL contract for the first time when he was picked up by Kolkata Knight Riders and the fruitful 12-month period has culminated in a maiden callup to the senior side.

Vijay on the other hand, has already represented India five times in the T20 format when he was picked to play in the Nidahas Trophy. He is widely viewed by the selectors as the backup pace bowling allrounder and had a good outing in New Zealand recently during the A tour.

https://m.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/106112/vijay-shankar-shubman-gill-to-replace-pandya-rahul-for-australia-nz-series

I hope they will give opportunities to gill, but I am not optimistic about TM. they will probably go with rayudu, jadhav and karthik (who's the worst of the lot statistically) in the middle order, along with Old Man Dhoni.

1 minute ago, bowl_out said:

Agree on Gill likely being overpowered by other forces in TM

Happy for Gill. But was looking forward to Mayank or Pant who have already established themselves in Australia to be part of the squad. 

I think pant would be seen more as a like-for-like replacement for karthik. KLR was being treated as back-up opener so I think mayank or gill would have gotten the call-up. it's a pity we are carrying so much baggage in middle-order, otherwise both agarwal and gill could have been tried long ago.

1 minute ago, cowboysfan said:

I had hoped Gill would get a start in test matches,he is not a big hitter but would suit no 4 well.

in some ways, he is more like an early kohli. I think he can rotate strike well enough to slot in at 4. however, TM is fixated on rayudu at 4 and karthik at 5. unlikely to change this before WC.

16 minutes ago, Vijy said:

in some ways, he is more like an early kohli. I think he can rotate strike well enough to slot in at 4. however, TM is fixated on rayudu at 4 and karthik at 5. unlikely to change this before WC.

Imo Rayudu is a nobody,compared to Gill he is a talentless .I get why they are sticking with Dhoni but Rayudu is so easily replaceable with better players.

2 minutes ago, fineleg said:

How is V. Shankar's batting against genuine pace bowlers? Does he have Vihari like chin-music issues against genuine pacers?

As far as his bowling, I think he bowls 127-131/132 - trundler, so can get hit around by International batsmen.

not bad for ODIs where chin-music is typically lower both due to nature of pitches, batsmen mentality & field placements, and bouncer restrictions. his bowling is crap though.

7 minutes ago, Vijy said:

not bad for ODIs where chin-music is typically lower both due to nature of pitches, batsmen mentality & field placements, and bouncer restrictions. his bowling is crap though.

If he emulate stoinis or thisira parera, he will be an asset