Vijay Shankar, Shubman Gill named replacements for Pandya, Rahul

SecondSlip

5 hours ago, fineleg said:

How is V. Shankar's batting against genuine pace bowlers? Does he have Vihari like chin-music issues against genuine pacers?

As far as his bowling, I think he bowls 127-131/132 - trundler, so can get hit around by International batsmen.

He is not a natural big hitter. Once in a while, he may be able to pull off. He loses shape while going for aggressive shots and ends up mistiming it. Not a clean striker.

1 hour ago, Suhaan said:

Gill should be treated the way a rookie Kohli was once treated, should be given confidence that he belongs here,time to phase out some seniors,good call

Kohli was kept out and dropped. He wa lucky to get picked in 2011 and selectors did not support him like they did when they gave him debut. However in 2011 South African tour, his performance could not be ignored and thats when they finally picked him ahead of Rohit otherwise they tried their best to keep him out. He wasn’t even picked for that t20 world cup in 2010 even after being most prolific scorer and India other player struggling around that time. 

I hope Gill has easier route as he is coming way late and too close to the world cup.

Gill has less to show as he hasn’t played much in IPL etc bur I have faith in this fuy to storm into world cup team and do great. His game oozes confidence. He can be perfect number 4. He has the game to rotate and I will put such guy any day.

59 minutes ago, jf1gp_1 said:

So Manish, pant, iyer, krunal all dumped ? 

Gill will warm bench plus to late to groom and get him ready for WC. Shanker is an odd choice more if joginder sharma 2.0

Manish probably dumped for the time being

Krunal hasn't even played ODI. How can we call it dumped? He will be picked only if Jadeja is dropped

Pant should be in the squad instead of Dhoni

Iyer has to wait for 2023

This is a great opportunity for vijay shankar.

Time for him to show he is an option .

He won't get the leeway Gill will get because of his talent ,age and fame( gill's)

I hope Vijay makes the most of this opportunity.

It will bring Pandya back down to earth.

Win win for Indian cricket.

I don't think Gill will get many chances in the series....unless the oldies really screw up.

Anyways,he has got his foot in the door and that is something to cheer about .

Gill ,Prithvi ,Pant ..... good exciting  days ahead for us fans.:drum:

Edited by beetle
7 minutes ago, wanted_desi said:

I have to say its first time i have liked Karan Johar. Because of his pathetic show, Shubman broke into the team, and  that before the World Cup. Having him at #4 instead of Biryani would be so great for India in WC. 

Hold your horses,TM has assured Rayudu of a long run,if he somehow gets  a few 30's in Aus,he will get a chance in the ODI series at home where he can make merry on some pattas and book his WC spot.

1 minute ago, beetle said:

This is a great opportunity for vijay shankar.

Time for him to show he is an option .

He won't get the leeway Gill will get because of his talent ,age and fame( gill's)

I hope Vijay makes the most of this opportunity.

It will bring Pandya back down to earth.

Win win for Indian cricket.

I don't think Gill will get many chances in the series....unless the oldies really screw up.

Anyways,he has git his foot in the door and that is something to cheer about .

Gill ,Prithvi ,Pant ..... good exciting  days ahead for us fans.:drum:

The best part is Gill is slated to join the squad in NZ.By that time, Rayudu will fail or succeed in 3 matches for TM to make a decision.If both Rayudu, DK continue to flop, surely Gill will make his debut in NZ