Jump to content
SecondSlip

Vijay Shankar, Shubman Gill named replacements for Pandya, Rahul

Recommended Posts

India have roped in Shubman Gill and Vijay Shankar to replace KL Rahul and Hardik Pandya for the ongoing ODI series in Australia as well as the limited-overs series in New Zealand that follows. While Gill will join the squad only for the New Zealand tour that comprises of five ODIs and three T20Is, Vijay will be joining the team ahead of the second ODI of the ongoing series against Australia.

 

Pandya and Rahul, who were part of the initial squad to Australia, were sent back home after BCCI took an objection to the comments they made on a chat show on TV. The duo have been given seven days to explain why proceedings shouldn't be initiated against them for misconduct and indiscipline under Rule 41 of the BCCI Constitution.

 

19-year-old Gill will return to New Zealand where he was named the player of the tournament during India's successful U-19 World Cup campaign last year. Post the tournament, he has had a rapid rise that saw him make runs for India A and for Punjab in the domestic circuit. Gill also managed to bag an IPL contract for the first time when he was picked up by Kolkata Knight Riders and the fruitful 12-month period has culminated in a maiden callup to the senior side.

 

Vijay on the other hand, has already represented India five times in the T20 format when he was picked to play in the Nidahas Trophy. He is widely viewed by the selectors as the backup pace bowling allrounder and had a good outing in New Zealand recently during the A tour.

 

https://m.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/106112/vijay-shankar-shubman-gill-to-replace-pandya-rahul-for-australia-nz-series

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, SecondSlip said:

India have roped in Shubman Gill and Vijay Shankar to replace KL Rahul and Hardik Pandya for the ongoing ODI series in Australia as well as the limited-overs series in New Zealand that follows. While Gill will join the squad only for the New Zealand tour that comprises of five ODIs and three T20Is, Vijay will be joining the team ahead of the second ODI of the ongoing series against Australia.

 

Pandya and Rahul, who were part of the initial squad to Australia, were sent back home after BCCI took an objection to the comments they made on a chat show on TV. The duo have been given seven days to explain why proceedings shouldn't be initiated against them for misconduct and indiscipline under Rule 41 of the BCCI Constitution.

 

19-year-old Gill will return to New Zealand where he was named the player of the tournament during India's successful U-19 World Cup campaign last year. Post the tournament, he has had a rapid rise that saw him make runs for India A and for Punjab in the domestic circuit. Gill also managed to bag an IPL contract for the first time when he was picked up by Kolkata Knight Riders and the fruitful 12-month period has culminated in a maiden callup to the senior side.

 

Vijay on the other hand, has already represented India five times in the T20 format when he was picked to play in the Nidahas Trophy. He is widely viewed by the selectors as the backup pace bowling allrounder and had a good outing in New Zealand recently during the A tour.

 

https://m.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/106112/vijay-shankar-shubman-gill-to-replace-pandya-rahul-for-australia-nz-series

I hope they will give opportunities to gill, but I am not optimistic about TM. they will probably go with rayudu, jadhav and karthik (who's the worst of the lot statistically) in the middle order, along with Old Man Dhoni.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, bowl_out said:

Agree on Gill likely being overpowered by other forces in TM

 

Happy for Gill. But was looking forward to Mayank or Pant who have already established themselves in Australia to be part of the squad. 

I think pant would be seen more as a like-for-like replacement for karthik. KLR was being treated as back-up opener so I think mayank or gill would have gotten the call-up. it's a pity we are carrying so much baggage in middle-order, otherwise both agarwal and gill could have been tried long ago.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, cowboysfan said:

I had hoped Gill would get a start in test matches,he is not a big hitter but would suit no 4 well.

in some ways, he is more like an early kohli. I think he can rotate strike well enough to slot in at 4. however, TM is fixated on rayudu at 4 and karthik at 5. unlikely to change this before WC.

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Vijy said:

in some ways, he is more like an early kohli. I think he can rotate strike well enough to slot in at 4. however, TM is fixated on rayudu at 4 and karthik at 5. unlikely to change this before WC.

Imo Rayudu is a nobody,compared to Gill he is a talentless .I get why they are sticking with Dhoni but Rayudu is so easily replaceable with better players.

Share this post


Link to post

How is V. Shankar's batting against genuine pace bowlers? Does he have Vihari like chin-music issues against genuine pacers?

As far as his bowling, I think he bowls 127-131/132 - trundler, so can get hit around by International batsmen.

Edited by fineleg

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, fineleg said:

How is V. Shankar's batting against genuine pace bowlers? Does he have Vihari like chin-music issues against genuine pacers?

As far as his bowling, I think he bowls 127-131/132 - trundler, so can get hit around by International batsmen.

not bad for ODIs where chin-music is typically lower both due to nature of pitches, batsmen mentality & field placements, and bouncer restrictions. his bowling is crap though.

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Vijy said:

not bad for ODIs where chin-music is typically lower both due to nature of pitches, batsmen mentality & field placements, and bouncer restrictions. his bowling is crap though.

If he emulate stoinis or thisira parera, he will be an asset

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, fineleg said:

How is V. Shankar's batting against genuine pace bowlers? Does he have Vihari like chin-music issues against genuine pacers?

As far as his bowling, I think he bowls 127-131/132 - trundler, so can get hit around by International batsmen.

He is not a natural big hitter. Once in a while, he may be able to pull off. He loses shape while going for aggressive shots and ends up mistiming it. Not a clean striker.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, jf1gp_1 said:

So Manish, pant, iyer, krunal all dumped ? 

Gill will warm bench plus to late to groom and get him ready for WC. Shanker is an odd choice more if joginder sharma 2.0

Pant is rested. 4th spinner in Krunal isn't needed. IMO, Jaddu has no place in LOIs and should be replaced by Krunal.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Suhaan said:

Gill should be treated the way a rookie Kohli was once treated, should be given confidence that he belongs here,time to phase out some seniors,good call

Kohli was kept out and dropped. He wa lucky to get picked in 2011 and selectors did not support him like they did when they gave him debut. However in 2011 South African tour, his performance could not be ignored and thats when they finally picked him ahead of Rohit otherwise they tried their best to keep him out. He wasn’t even picked for that t20 world cup in 2010 even after being most prolific scorer and India other player struggling around that time. 

 

I hope Gill has easier route as he is coming way late and too close to the world cup.

 

 

Gill has less to show as he hasn’t played much in IPL etc bur I have faith in this fuy to storm into world cup team and do great. His game oozes confidence. He can be perfect number 4. He has the game to rotate and I will put such guy any day.

Share this post


Link to post
59 minutes ago, jf1gp_1 said:

So Manish, pant, iyer, krunal all dumped ? 

Gill will warm bench plus to late to groom and get him ready for WC. Shanker is an odd choice more if joginder sharma 2.0

Manish probably dumped for the time being

Krunal hasn't even played ODI. How can we call it dumped? He will be picked only if Jadeja is dropped

Pant should be in the squad instead of Dhoni

Iyer has to wait for 2023

Share this post


Link to post

This is a great opportunity for vijay shankar.

Time for him to show he is an option .

He won't get the leeway Gill will get because of his talent ,age and fame( gill's)

 

I hope Vijay makes the most of this opportunity.

It will bring Pandya back down to earth.

Win win for Indian cricket.

 

I don't think Gill will get many chances in the series....unless the oldies really screw up.

Anyways,he has got his foot in the door and that is something to cheer about .

 

Gill ,Prithvi ,Pant ..... good exciting  days ahead for us fans.:drum:

 

 

Edited by beetle

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, wanted_desi said:

I have to say its first time i have liked Karan Johar. Because of his pathetic show, Shubman broke into the team, and  that before the World Cup. Having him at #4 instead of Biryani would be so great for India in WC. 

 

 

Hold your horses,TM has assured Rayudu of a long run,if he somehow gets  a few 30's in Aus,he will get a chance in the ODI series at home where he can make merry on some pattas and book his WC spot.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, beetle said:

This is a great opportunity for vijay shankar.

Time for him to show he is an option .

He won't get the leeway Gill will get because of his talent ,age and fame( gill's)

 

I hope Vijay makes the most of this opportunity.

It will bring Pandya back down to earth.

Win win for Indian cricket.

 

I don't think Gill will get many chances in the series....unless the oldies really screw up.

Anyways,he has git his foot in the door and that is something to cheer about .

 

Gill ,Prithvi ,Pant ..... good exciting  days ahead for us fans.:drum:

 

 

The best part is Gill is slated to join the squad in NZ.By that time, Rayudu will fail or succeed in 3 matches for TM to make a decision.If both Rayudu, DK continue to flop, surely Gill will make his debut in NZ

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, GautiMaan said:

Hold your horses,TM has assured Rayudu of a long run,if he somehow gets  a few 30's in Aus,he will get a chance in the ODI series at home where he can make merry on some pattas and book his WC spot.

TM changes stances more than Hardik changes girls. OZ series + NZ tours, he is going to get exposed so badly, atleast thats what i am counting on. 

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, wanted_desi said:

TM changes stances more than Hardik changes girls. OZ series + NZ tours, he is going to get exposed so badly, atleast thats what i am counting on. 

seems about right.

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, bowl_out said:

Agree on Gill likely being overpowered by other forces in TM

 

Happy for Gill. But was looking forward to Mayank or Pant who have already established themselves in Australia to be part of the squad.

There won't be any possible WK replacements selected for the foreseeable future, MSD will not be made to look worse than the chump he's been even over the last few years!

18 minutes ago, GautiMaan said:

Hold your horses,TM has assured Rayudu of a long run,if he somehow gets  a few 30's in Aus,he will get a chance in the ODI series at home where he can make merry on some pattas and book his WC spot.

That'd be as bad as Mohit Sharma being selected for WC 2015, ahead of say Nehra ji, if not worse!

Edited by R!TTER

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

Pant is rested. 4th spinner in Krunal isn't needed. IMO, Jaddu has no place in LOIs and should be replaced by Krunal.

Why does pant need rest ? he is 21. 

if we want someone to bat at 8 then sure Jaddu can be picked over chahal but he cant be picked as allrounder as he isnt no 7. 

Sunny made a point yesterday dhoni, rayudu dont play first class so at that age its tough to say we will only play international cricket. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, jf1gp_1 said:

Why does pant need rest ? he is 21. 

if we want someone to bat at 8 then sure Jaddu can be picked over chahal but he cant be picked as allrounder as he isnt no 7. 

Sunny made a point yesterday dhoni, rayudu dont play first class so at that age its tough to say we will only play international cricket. 

This skipping first class cricket is just to make sure their failure is not seen before selection.

 

Selectors should give current match form in first class/ international  cricket as the criteria for selection for Indian team.

 

Dhoni has given an excuse to every tom dick and harry to skip first class cricket.

Edited by beetle

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/india-vs-australia-vijay-shankar-credits-influence-of-rahul-dravid-says-can-finish-off-games/story-ceUmIagj8ADqiY3IPG14MJ.html

 

“I think I have become mentally stronger now and I have full confidence that I can finish close matches. The India A tour of New Zealand has helped me understand my game much better,” Shankar told PTI during an interaction.

 

He believes that A team coach Dravid’s decision to send him to bat at No 5 in New Zealand helped him immensely.

“Rahul sir told me one thing that he has faith in my ability to finish games. I think batting at No 5 also suited my game as I was able to close two games and remain unbeaten,” said Shankar, who has so far played five T20s for India.

“The 87 I scored in a chase of 300 plus against New Zealand A gave me a lot belief that I also belong to this level. In another game, I scored 60 odd in a chase. “While batting at No 5, in all these matches when I was going into bat, we required 150 to 160 runs and it was very important that I paced the innings well and played the role of a finisher,” Shankar explained.

While he was bowling four to five overs per match during Vijay Hazare Trophy, he has bowled more overs in Ranji Trophy.

“I have put equal emphasis on both aspects of the game. I have completed my 10 over quota in a lot of Hazare games and got breakthroughs. In Ranji Trophy also, I had bowled a lot this season. The best part is that I feel more stronger mentally with the hard work I have put in.” The sudden selection and the cloud of uncertainty hovering over Pandya for his transgressions has suddenly brought Shankar into the mix but he is unfazed about it.

“I am not thinking about World Cup and all those things. You can’t play freely if you start thinking like that.

“I will have to be prepared and if an opportunity to comes along the way, I will have to grab it,” Shankar signed off.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Guest, sign in to access all features.

×