Kevin Pietersen mentions how Rahul Dravid helped him on facing slow left armers

Real McCoy

I was watching the SA-Pak series. KP was in commentary and mentioned how he used to struggle against SLAs. He almost felt if he can ever get a run against them or atleast survive them. He mentioned how much Rahul Dravid helped him to counter his issues. He was effusive in his praise for RD calling him a gem of a person. Was it while RD was still playing or after retiring.

I wonder how is RD not one of the key men in BCCI. In my opinion, him along with Ganguly, Kumble, and Sachin must be higher up in the BCCI hierarchy. If Eduljee can be one female player who can be in the CoA looking after a predominantly male sport, why not Dravid. Certainly would do a better job than a rabid feminist who has said before that she is a proud BCCI basher. Dravid could be a better admin for both Men's and Women's cricket.

1 hour ago, Real McCoy said:

I wonder how is RD not one of the key men in BCCI. In my opinion, him along with Ganguly, Kumble, and Sachin must be higher up in the BCCI hierarchy. 

Please not him, great cricketer but he doesn't have the stuff to set right anything. Zero leadership skills, very dull, lacks personality, shies away from responsibility (Rajya Sabha), unethical, compromised...nothing to suggest he should be involved in the administration. Everybody has flaws but SRT has no outstanding quality to be successful in BCCI hierarchy. 

1 hour ago, AuxiliA said:

As a mentor to the young and upcoming players, Dravid is in the perfect position already. No need to waste him in politics. He isn't made for it.

Ganguly will eventually become BCCI prez one day. He has a knack for politics. 

Tendulkar is a god. Don't think he will stoop down to perform earthly functions.

If he is a god, he can show darshan to Ganguly, Kumble, Dravid and bestow his divine wisdom to these mere earthlings so that they can carry the mundane life of BCCI politics and other things. Why god why. These 3 must meditate to receive boons from the god since he's all knowing :phehe:

Edited by Real McCoy
15 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Please not him, great cricketer but he doesn't have the stuff to set right anything. Zero leadership skills, very dull, lacks personality, shies away from responsibility (Rajya Sabha), unethical, compromised...nothing to suggest he should be involved in the administration. Everybody has flaws but SRT has no outstanding quality to be successful in BCCI hierarchy. 

Unethical? Compromised? :confused:

This was exactly i was talking about how Indians handled Lyon. They never rocked back like Dravid. He would always let his head go forward not the body but when it is short he will rock back and cut. Infact often batsmen would think Dravid is coming forward and bowl a tad short. But only his head will go forward. Great technician. Funny thing is he was not the best against spin among his peers. Sehwag, Tendulkr, Laxman, Ganguly all were better than him :) We were that good against spin. Current crop like Rahane can learn a lot from them

1 hour ago, Real McCoy said:

I wonder how is RD not one of the key men in BCCI. In my opinion, him along with Ganguly, Kumble, and Sachin must be higher up in the BCCI hierarchy. If Eduljee can be one female player who can be in the CoA looking after a predominantly male sport, why not Dravid. Certainly would do a better job than a rabid feminist who has said before that she is a proud BCCI basher. Dravid could be a better admin for both Men's and Women's cricket.

From todays Indian express 

https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket/i-saw-the-making-of-cheteshwar-pujara-5535781/

There was someone who saw the spark in Cheteshwar very early. That was the time many tried to dismiss the boy from Saurashtra, who was in a habit of scoring tons for hundreds on the rather sluggish tracks at Rajkot. Flat-pitch bully was a term often used by former cricketers, and even journalists, from Indian cricket’s traditional cricketing hubs.

Cheteshwar was in Bangalore playing for his long-time employers, Indian Oil Company, in a corporate tournament. As usual he was scoring heavily. He had scored a couple of hundreds and was nearing the third. That’s when Rahul Dravid, the then India captain, turned up at the ground for a jog. The batsman on the centre square made him curious. He asked the scorer. True to his profession he also gave the run details of the boy who would go on to fill Dravid’s shoes as India’s reliable No.3.

It was a Saurashtra Cricket Association official who told Arvind about this. “From the stadium, he called Niranjanbhai (BCCI old hand and SCA secretary). He told him ‘take care of this boy’,” recalls Arvind. Later when Dravid came to Rajkot for a Ranji game, he would meet Cheteshwar again. Standing in the slips, he had a closer and longer look at the Saurashtra No.5.“ After the game, he called the Saurashtra captain and told him that Cheteshwar should bat up the order. This shows his class,” says Arvind. Years later, Pujara would make his Test debut and he would bat at No. 5 behind Dravid and Tendulkar.

4 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

This was exactly i was talking about how Indians handled Lyon. They never rocked back like Dravid. He would always let his head go forward not the body but when it is short he will rock back and cut. Infact often batsmen would think Dravid is coming forward and bowl a tad short. But only his head will go forward. Great technician. Funny thing is he was not the best against spin among his peers. Sehwag, Tendulkr, Laxman, Ganguly all were better than him :) We were that good against spin. Current crop like Rahane can learn a lot from them

Rahane will stay back and get LBW to an half volley :facepalm:

17 minutes ago, diga said:

Seriously.. do such writers exist.. my eyes are welling with tears for hearing such a poignant heart warming true story..got me a bit emotional and took me to kothi compound despite not knowing how it looks..  a fan of this sports writer.. a rare gem indeed... A literary Titan..

Folks if you find time , please read this article , the best I have read in decades..:bow::bow:

Edited by prasen82
4 minutes ago, prasen82 said:

Seriously.. do such writers exist.. my eyes are welling with tears for hearing such a poignant heart warming true story..got me a bit emotional and took me to kothi compound despite not knowing how it looks..  a fan of this sports writer.. a rare gem indeed... A literary Titan..

Folks if you find time , please read this article , the best I have read in decades..:bow::bow:

I did post this in Pujara thread too.. Agree that its very well written by Sandeep Dwivedi

11 minutes ago, prasen82 said:

Agree. Beautiful tribute to this hard-working cricketer. 

On 1/13/2019 at 3:58 PM, vvvslaxman said:

The masterclass in playing spin was by Ganguly and Laxman against a rank tuner plus minefield combined Kanpur pitch where every ball was misbehaving.

In one of the most gripping Tests in recent memory, little could separate India and South Africa as the crumbling pitch at Kanpur produced another enthralling day. Punch followed counter-punch in a match that had all the makings of a classic, and it took a masterful innings from Sourav Ganguly to give India a slender 23-run advantage.

A fizzer of a pitch made way for a gripping encounter, one where nobody could afford to miss even a ball. 

http://www.espncricinfo.com/indvrsa/content/story/346066.html

Ganguly 87 (In 119 balls with a strike rate of over 70 ) Laxman 50..Youngsters should see the video of their innings to see how to play spin..the current indian team would have been all out under 100

Edited by neel roy
3 hours ago, neel roy said:

The masterclass in playing spin was by Ganguly and Laxman against a rank tuner plus minefield combined Kanpur pitch where every ball was misbehaving.

In one of the most gripping Tests in recent memory, little could separate India and South Africa as the crumbling pitch at Kanpur produced another enthralling day. Punch followed counter-punch in a match that had all the makings of a classic, and it took a masterful innings from Sourav Ganguly to give India a slender 23-run advantage.

A fizzer of a pitch made way for a gripping encounter, one where nobody could afford to miss even a ball. 

http://www.espncricinfo.com/indvrsa/content/story/346066.html

Ganguly 87 (In 119 balls with a strike rate of over 70 ) Laxman 50..Youngsters should see the video of their innings to see how to play spin..the current indian team would have been all out under 100

Nobody denies that Ganguly & VVS were betteer players of spin.. This is more about the technique for a top order player in playing spin which Rahane could adopt

1 hour ago, diga said:

Nobody denies that Ganguly & VVS were betteer players of spin.. This is more about the technique for a top order player in playing spin which Rahane could adopt

This is one thing which puzzles me,ie Rahanes handling of spon,while growing up in Mumbai on those spin friendly tracks..he was good against spin while playing Ranji.had loads of runs against them..donno what happened tohim..even in southampton he had a chance to shut his doubters but failed in second innings..another 30 runs from kohli and him would have sealed the game for us