Australia are top favorites for WC19

Number

45 minutes ago, velu said:

ind vs eng .. i think if the pitch is slightly helpful to kuldeep ( + his  sidekick chahal or jaddu  ) , we will beat them badly ..

eng were clueless vs kuldeep ( saffers as well ) .. also padosis are englands bogeyman 

Not expecting KulCha to run through line ups anymore tbh.

By 3rd ODI in England Root and Morgan were picking them easily. 

I rate their chances only behind England & that too because home advantage is a big thing in recent years. Otherwise they should always start as favorites if not joint favorites, people forget that Aus have not lost a SF WC game in what 4(?) decades if not more. The last time they didn't make it to a SF spot was courtesy India in 2011, so if they make it to SF then watch out :cantstop:

England are overwhelming favorites. They have good top order, powerful lower order hitters, decent fast bowlers and spin options. Their one weakness if you can call it is their pacemen but is easily covered up by their batting and spin options. And they are playing at home. The home team had won the last two WCs. You can even say the runners up of the last 2 WCs were better suited to the conditions. SL in Ind and NZ in Aus is comparable conditions. I think Eng will finally win one.

India is no.2 with a weak middle order and a long tail. The bowling is good. And the other countries that can string in an upset or two. Aus, SA, NZ, Pak, WI and dont count out SL. Its gonna be an interesting WC.

1 hour ago, R!TTER said:

people forget that Aus have not lost a SF WC game in what 4(?) decades if not more.

How the F is that relevant.  Those teams were completely different players than this current lot.  They can't magically transform themselves into Hayden, Gilchrist, McGrath overnight.  Heck even Warner is going to struggle a bit to turn back time and put up the ODI performances he used to.  You are seriously underestimating the impact of missing out a year of top level cricket. 

Aussie team is riddled with flaws.  They are easily 5th best in ODI cricket at the moment. That's still good enough to contend, but they aren't anywhere close to being favorites.  

2 hours ago, Vk1 said:

Yep... At the same time, South Africans neither have a good team nor do they do well during knockouts.. rule them out and the chances of Aussies doing well improve.

There are no knockouts this WC.  Its 9 group games and the 4 best teams go straight to Semi-final.  A format that will favor SA.  

2 hours ago, Number said:

That is one thing remains to be seen but if they click it can be really good Aussie side.

Reg. wrist spinner I dont think its really a big issue. On their day they can be really expensive.

With 4 solid bowlers I think they will go with Maxwell as 5th bowler. Carey will bat at 7 so that can solve batting depth issue as well.

"if they click".  That's no gimme.  "IF" 2 out of our top 3 bats click, we are pretty much unbeatable.  "IF" KulCha keep taking wickets in the middle overs, we're very hard to beat. "IF" we get Bhuvi and Bumrah to keep putting up stud performances in PP overs and death, we will always have a chance in any game.  

Maxwell as 5th bowler is a huge weak link.  Carey is not a power hitter, he will a Rahane-esque misfit at #7.  Aus have a lot of holes in their ODI unit.  

1 minute ago, sandeep said:

How the F is that relevant.  Those teams were completely different players than this current lot.  They can't magically transform themselves into Hayden, Gilchrist, McGrath overnight.  Heck even Warner is going to struggle a bit to turn back time and put up the ODI performances he used to.  You are seriously underestimating the impact of missing out a year of top level cricket. 

Aussie team is riddled with flaws.  They are easily 5th best in ODI cricket at the moment. That's still good enough to contend, but they aren't anywhere close to being favorites.  

How the eff did you miss the WC 2015 then, or is that not relevant at all? Aus are a WC champion team, anyone writing them off because of recent debacles clearly needs to see what they're capable with their second string team, like the last game!

1 minute ago, R!TTER said:

How the eff did you miss the WC 2015 then, or is that not relevant at all? Aus are a WC champion team, anyone writing them off because of recent debacles clearly needs to see what they're capable with their second string team, like the last game!

That team had a Warner and Smith firing on all cylinders, playing in home conditions.  With Starc in his pomp.  England with their 330+ every game batdeep method didn't exist back then.  Neither did the threat of wrist-spin in the middle overs.  

The ODI game has evolved a bit since 2015.  320 would be a winning score in that WC - These days 345 is breached routinely.  Aussies lack the batting class and depth needed to score that big with any kind of consistency.  That would be OK if they had a bowling unit that was strong enough and deep enough to defend 310 regularly.  But they don't.  They consistently carry a 4 bowler unit into ODIs, because they have to shore up the batting.  And even the 3rd and 4th bowler can be targeted without too much risk.  

The fact that we lost a game against such a weak team says more about us than it does about Aus.  

Just now, sandeep said:

That team had a Warner and Smith firing on all cylinders, playing in home conditions.  With Starc in his pomp.  England with their 330+ every game batdeep method didn't exist back then.  Neither did the threat of wrist-spin in the middle overs.  

The ODI game has evolved a bit since 2015.  320 would be a winning score in that WC - These days 345 is breached routinely.  Aussies lack the batting class and depth needed to score that big with any kind of consistency.  That would be OK if they had a bowling unit that was strong enough and deep enough to defend 310 regularly.  But they don't.  They consistently carry a 4 bowler unit into ODIs, because they have to shore up the batting.  And even the 3rd and 4th bowler can be targeted without too much risk.  

The fact that we lost a game against such a weak team says more about us than it does about Aus.  

They had worse odds in 2003 - Waugh retired just a year back, Warne out just before the WC, Gillespie out in the WC & yet none was close to that side! You're free to believe whatever you want to, but the WC format, with 9(?) group games, plays into their hands. Aus always get better the longer the tournaments lasts. It's no surprise that they've never won the WT20 with more KO games or as many ICC CT, as WC, because they rarely allow false starts, even by good teams.

11 minutes ago, R!TTER said:

You're free to believe whatever you want to,

So are you.  This Aus team is out of their depth if the England WC tracks turn out to be 330+ par wickets.  And parachuting in Warner & Smith at the last minute isn't going to magically solve that problem.  

Like I said, they are still comfortably 5th in terms of contenders, and it would only take a couple of good games to get into the semi-finals. They have a decent chance to beat SL, Pak, BD, Afg* and WI.  They need to win 4 out of those 5 and a couple more out of the other games to get into the semi-finals. Doable with a bit of luck.  But you can say that about SL/Pak as well.  

2 minutes ago, sandeep said:

They have a decent chance to beat SL, Pak, BD, Afg* and WI.  They need to win 4 out of those 5

If you think they can;t beat these chumps then you must be watching a different game, they still have the best LO pacer since Mcgrath i.e. Starc & world's best opener, in Warner before Sharma overtook him. If the WC pitches are super flat Aus fragile batting actually gets more breathing room & their pacers will still wreck havoc. Like I said, you're free to assume whatever you want to but I haven't seen Aus ever be out of top 3 contenders since 1996 & that won't change in 2019 either.

9 minutes ago, R!TTER said:

If you think they can;t beat these chumps then you must be watching a different game, they still have the best LO pacer since Mcgrath i.e. Starc & world's best opener, in Warner before Sharma overtook him. If the WC pitches are super flat Aus fragile batting actually gets more breathing room & their pacers will still wreck havoc. Like I said, you're free to assume whatever you want to but I haven't seen Aus ever be out of top 3 contenders since 1996 & that won't change in 2019 either.

All I'm saying is that this WC brings the highest probability of Aus missing out on Semis in quite some time.  

Probably but if there's one team I back, in WC, to beat all odds - it's Aus & that's from someone who's never liked their arrogant misdemeanors, on or off the field.

This WC however is probably the most open since 1999 & that was in England as well. If the pitches are anything close to what we had at that time, we might see a fair few upsets.

6 hours ago, sandeep said:

You can't just assume that Warner and Smith just walk back in and resume their form and run production.  Australia lacks a wrist spinner, and batting depth. 

They should get Zampa for Lyon..  Zampa is really underrated.. Wonder why he didn't get an IPL contract too..

1 minute ago, flamy said:

:hysterical:

People are placing Ind as 2nd faves?

Eng are clear faves. Then NZ.

If Aus become faves because of a good showing against Ind, that shows our aukaat more than Aus'

nailed it.  Eng, NZ, SA, Ind, Aus.  That's the order of favorites at the moment.  If India get  their selection and form right, they can jump to the 2nd spot quite easily, but that's easier said than done.