Sourav Ganguly concerned about Ambati Rayudu at number 4 position

SecondSlip

Former Indian captain Sourav Ganguly believes that Ambati Rayudu is yet to solve India’s concerns at the number 4 position. This position has been a cause of great debates and deliberations over the past 15 months and Ganguly says that if Rayudu churns out the runs in Australia and New Zealand can he be locked into that position.

“I’m not concerned about Shikhar Dhawan because he was in good form in T20s. But I’m concerned about Ambati Rayudu. He has scored runs in the sub-continent but India have to see if he can score runs outside the sub-continent because the World Cup is in England. He can’t bat anywhere below No.4,” Ganguly told India TV.

“These games in Australia and New Zealand will be very important for him and will decide if he can be India’s No.4 or not,” he further added.

Indian captain Virat Kohli has thrown his weight behind Ambati Rayudu and Ganguly believes that the right-hander needs to be given as many games as possible for him to stake a claim in the upcoming World Cup.

After the Sydney ODI, vice-captain Rohit Sharma said that he would personally want MS Dhoni to bat at number 4 as it would allow him to control the game a lot more.

“Personally always feel that Dhoni batting at number four will be ideal for the team but we have got Rayudu who has done really well now at number four. It totally depends on what the captain and coach think about it. Personally, I would be happy if Dhoni bats at four,” Rohit said after the match.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/india-vs-australia-sourav-ganguly-concerned-about-ambati-rayudu-at-number-4-position/story-bslXU9TXnDtChRercRprqJ.html

8 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Rohit indirectly trying to free up room for the Pandya bros in the XI?  if you slot in Dhoni at #4, Jadhav/Karthik at #5, Hardik and Krunal at 6 and 7, that team gives you plenty of punch down the order along with a few bowling options.   

I wonder if karthik can bat reliably at 5 - he is too fidgety in my book when confronted with many overs to play. I feel he does better when he comes out with fewer overs to bat. No. 5 is pretty much a middle order position, and not a lower order one.

2 hours ago, sandeep said:

Rohit indirectly trying to free up room for the Pandya bros in the XI?  if you slot in Dhoni at #4, Jadhav/Karthik at #5, Hardik and Krunal at 6 and 7, that team gives you plenty of punch down the order along with a few bowling options.  

I have higher hopes on Shankar than Krunal with the bat.  If Dhoni slots in at 4, then Shankar at 5, Pant/DK at 6 and Pandya at 7 gives us plenty of options.  Shankar is the sixth bowler and we can play two spinners out of Kuldeep, Chahal and Jadeja

44 minutes ago, bowl_out said:

I have higher hopes on Shankar than Krunal with the bat.  If Dhoni slots in at 4, then Shankar at 5, Pant/DK at 6 and Pandya at 7 gives us plenty of options.  Shankar is the sixth bowler and we can play two spinners out of Kuldeep, Chahal and Jadeja

Yeah Krunal appears to be more limited as a batsman, more of a slogger, but he definitely offers more with the ball than Shankar, who will simply be brutalized in England.   And while Shankar may be a bit better with the bat, at #7, Krunal may actually be more effective with the bat.

Our best bowling unit would be Bumrah, Bhuvi, Shami, Kuldeep, Chahal.  But with Dhoni's decline there's no way we can play that many fulltime bowlers.  All options at that point become a jigsaw puzzle where you fix one thing and it breaks another.  Hardik Pandya ahead of Shami has been working quite well over a period of time, but I would have preferred if the Indian team had transitioned him into a more reliable batsman who could bat at #5 or 6.  

30 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Yeah Krunal appears to be more limited as a batsman, more of a slogger, but he definitely offers more with the ball than Shankar, who will simply be brutalized in England.   And while Shankar may be a bit better with the bat, at #7, Krunal may actually be more effective with the bat. 

Our best bowling unit would be Bumrah, Bhuvi, Shami, Kuldeep, Chahal.  But with Dhoni's decline there's no way we can play that many fulltime bowlers.  All options at that point become a jigsaw puzzle where you fix one thing and it breaks another.  Hardik Pandya ahead of Shami has been working quite well over a period of time, but I would have preferred if the Indian team had transitioned him into a more reliable batsman who could bat at #5 or 6.  

krunal's ability is sufficient for no.7, but it will still leave the problem of the 6th bowler of course. too late to fix these issues. for next WC (2023), we need a batting all-rounder or batsman who bowls part-time in the top 6, and a fast-scoring but reasonably reliable allrounder at 7. I am assuming pant/kishan/X will be the keeper and that it won't be yet one more hole to fill.

40 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Shami really is bowling too good . He is ahead of bhuvi as well. His ticket to England is confirmed.

No way we can have both kuldeep and chahal in flat pancakes of England. 

Gill, Pant,DK,Pandya would be a great middle order with a mix of aggression and strike rotation .

Only thing I am not sure is how pandya will be after his suspension..

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

The problem is Krunal becomes redundant with Jadeja already in the picture.. I don't think the TM is ready to dump Jadeja for Krunal as yet.. If Jadeja, Chahal and Kuldeep are the first choice of spinners, I don't see Krunal getting a spot in the squad..

I see Shankar as the sixth bowler (if he comes good with the bat assuming he gets a few opportunities).. He is an alternative to Jadhav..  The combination can be Jadhav + 3 quicks + 1 spinner + Pandya  (or) Shankar + 2 quicks + 2 spinners + Pandya