Your unpopular opinion thread

Stradlater

I will begin.

After seeing the substantial decline in the quality of the show over the last couple of years , I don't get the Game of thrones final season hype at all. 

I see people getting excited , eagerly awaiting April 14th with some even going as far as to calling it the greatest show of all time (lol) while for me the show lost its charm when D&D decided to take matters into their hands after the material from the novels reached it's completion.

From season 5 onwards the show has been on a continuous decline trajectory and after watching the colossal mess that the last season was , I don't even know if I would be able to bring myself to watch the final season or maybe I would to get some closure (since it's likely that the last two books would never be released) but it won't feel the same as it used to be earlier that's for sure.

5 hours ago, Stradlater said:

I will begin.

After seeing the substantial decline in the quality of the show over the last couple of years , I don't get the Game of thrones final season hype at all. 

I see people getting excited , eagerly awaiting April 14th with some even going as far as to calling it the greatest show of all time (lol) while for me the show lost its charm when D&D decided to take matters into their hands after the material from the novels reached it's completion.

From season 5 onwards the show has been on a continuous decline trajectory and after watching the colossal mess that the last season was , I don't even know if I would be able to bring myself to watch the final season or maybe I would to get some closure (since it's likely that the last two books would never be released) but it won't feel the same as it used to be earlier that's for sure.

I don't know if your opinion is that "unpopular". most of the people who review TV shows for newspapers, magazines, etc. were speaking about how last season (and even the one before that) were going off the rails. ditto for more nuanced viewers as well. As a fan of the books, I never liked GoT as much as the books even at its peak (seasons 1-4).

14 minutes ago, Vijy said:

I don't know if your opinion is that "unpopular". most of the people who review TV shows for newspapers, magazines, etc. were speaking about how last season (and even the one before that) were going off the rails. ditto for more nuanced viewers as well. As a fan of the books, I never liked GoT as much as the books even at its peak (seasons 1-4).

I understand where you are coming from but criticism notwithstanding , the excitement for the finale is unreal.

I guess people are willing to set aside some obvious loopholes and poor acting as long as the fighting scenes are nice and of course the dragons.

Also I feel the one major reason why the show sucks now is because they killed off some really good characters (through no fault of their own of course) who were played by even better actors , Charles Dance for instance. Personally I have never been a fan of acting of Kit Harrington and Sophie Turner. Even the likes of Peter Dinklage and Nikolaj Coster Waldau  have lost their sheen too.

Edited by Stradlater

1 hour ago, Stradlater said:

I understand where you are coming from but criticism notwithstanding , the excitement for the finale is unreal.

I guess people are willing to set aside some obvious loopholes and poor acting as long as the fighting scenes are nice and of course the dragons. 

Also I feel the one major reason why the show sucks now is because they killed off some really good characters (through no fault of their own of course) who were played by even better actors , Charles Dance for instance. Personally I have never been a fan of acting of Kit Harrington and Sophie Turner. Even the likes of Peter Dinklage and Nikolaj Coster Waldau  have lost their sheen too.

wait.. kit harrington acts? I thought all he does is: puts on a morose face and stands dumbly at all times. emilia clarke is also a rather ordinary actress, although she's gotten better to some extent. as you said, most of the remaining good actors are sidelined - dinklage, waldau, headey, etc. charles dance was amazing while he was around - he's a fine actor. last few seasons have too many special effects and too little plot/character development.

I agree with you that in some quarters, the hype is certainly very high.

5 hours ago, Vijy said:

wait.. kit harrington acts? I thought all he does is: puts on a morose face and stands dumbly at all times. emilia clarke is also a rather ordinary actress, although she's gotten better to some extent. as you said, most of the remaining good actors are sidelined - dinklage, waldau, headey, etc. charles dance was amazing while he was around - he's a fine actor. last few seasons have too many special effects and too little plot/character development.

I agree with you that in some quarters, the hype is certainly very high.

Desi wannabes like to be fanbois of people like Salman, Shahrukh, some rando cricketer etc.  Their Amreeki counterparts need silly **** to go gaga over too, why should they be left behind?  Mainstream Pop culture in the west doesn't really allow for overt worshipping of movie or sports stars anymore, hence the need to find zara hatke things to obsess over.  In other words, lemmings are going do what they do, no matter what country or ethnicity.

21 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Desi wannabes like to be fanbois of people like Salman, Shahrukh, some rando cricketer etc.  Their Amreeki counterparts need silly **** to go gaga over too, why should they be left behind?  Mainstream Pop culture in the west doesn't really allow for overt worshipping of movie or sports stars anymore, hence the need to find zara hatke things to obsess over.  In other words, lemmings are going do what they do, no matter what country or ethnicity.

for sure, GoT has too many fanbois for what has been just an above-average series over the past few years. I see at least 5 series per yr that are better than the GoT of past several yrs.

1 hour ago, BlueBee said:

For me GOT reached it's prime with the battle of the bastards and could never get closer to being that good again. It's still very good but it's definitely over hyped now. 

I disagree. The show has been consistently mediocre since season 5 with having it's moments every now and then. Battle of Bastards was one of them.

8 hours ago, MechEng said:

I watched the first 2 episodes of season 1 of Game of Thrones and then I never watched it, too complicated for me.

I do get reminded of the show by the memes I receive like "You don't know John Snow" and etc.

The first 4 seasons are quality though bruh. I would urge you to reconsider your decision.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Never bothered with GoT as it basically looks like LoTR with nudity.

it's ironic, since martin wrote the books as a response to LoTR, i.e. as an anti-LoTR in some (not all) respects. TV shows have been leaning more and more towards LoTR-izing the whole plot & characters, which is a real pity. LoTR is great, but trying to copycat something never works.