Your unpopular opinion thread

Stradlater

18 minutes ago, Vijy said:

it's ironic, since martin wrote the books as a response to LoTR, i.e. as an anti-LoTR in some (not all) respects. TV shows have been leaning more and more towards LoTR-izing the whole plot & characters, which is a real pity. LoTR is great, but trying to copycat something never works.

Interesting. Somehow LoTR is very unappealing to me visually so I have stayed away from the trilogy as well as the series. 

On 1/16/2019 at 12:56 PM, Vijy said:

I never liked GoT as much as the books even at its peak (seasons 1-4).

It's usual to find people claiming that they liked ' the books' more or complain something in 'the books' was overlooked in the screen version. Folks do this mostly even though they probably have not read the books much or only heard about the books after they chanced on the show.  People do this because they think it makes them look superior lol. It's funny everytime someone tries it.  

5 hours ago, Vilander said:

It's usual to find people claiming that they liked ' the books' more or complain something in 'the books' was overlooked in the screen version. Folks do this mostly even though they probably have not read the books much or only heard about the books after they chanced on the show.  People do this because they think it makes them look superior lol. It's funny everytime someone tries it.  

Bhai we have had this talk before. You keep coming to this point lol. 

10 hours ago, Vilander said:

I am not denying that many like to do this. I began reading the GoT books in 2006 - many years before the TV series, but also many yrs after the first book was released (in the mid 1990s).

8 hours ago, Stradlater said:

Bhai we have had this talk before. You keep coming to this point lol. 

A creative team is a bunch of professionals whose life depends on their work. Character development evolution its not a bunch of simpleton nerds in it for entertainment, they answer to folks who are putting money its a regualr demanding job, i get annoyed when people randomly say screen adaptation did this book did this so i dont like it. Need content to backup.

40 minutes ago, maniac said:

Ishant Sharma has been an unsung hero in our rise to no.1 rankings

Rohit Sharma is hands down a greater LOI  player than AB devillers and in a pressure situation it is pretty much a no contest who is better

Baba, kindly redirect cricket related ones to this mega thread 

Nehru was a decent PM, as was Indira Gandhi. Rot started with that Italian lady's entry into GOP. 

Bose is over rated. Not questioning his commitment to the cause but he isn't the mythical hero many make him out to be. Nor was he the promised messiah that was snatched too soon from us, also the conspiracy about his unfortunate demise is BS. 

Indians lack spine, look at our dynasty politics (till 2 generations is fine, beyond that is overkill IMO) and this mahagathbandhan, look at our feudal mindset....maybe not so unpopular but had to say. Historically we have been a subservient lot and sadly nothing much has changed the last 70 years. 

Our caste system is the oldest running apartheid system outside the Muslim world. I would like to see a surge in non violent, democratic Dalit uprising, the other alternative is an all out civil war considering the pent up anger over their sufferings at the hands of other Hindus for centuries. The recent development in Dalit politics is a nice safety valve feature, allow it to play out. 

India is active in carrying out insurgency operations in its immediate neighborhood, but we don't want to accept. Think LTTE, Mukti Bahini. We aren't an innocent party no matter how much we pretend otherwise. 

Hindutva terror is real, I have suspicions that some (very few however) of the terror attacks of 2000s aren't being investigated properly by agencies. Of course it is localized and small in scale but ignoring it will only present us with greater troubles in the future. 

Again not sure if unpopular, but Islam is mental sickness. That 7th century barbaric cult has no place in 21st century. We are heading towards an all out global scale war between Muslims and rest of humanity, and blood spilt will be a historical record. 

Goa is over rated but their cashew/coconut feni is vastly under rated. 

Kolkata is India's greatest city, rumours of her death are vastly exaggerated. 

Cricket is a dying sport, in 20 years time it will be like kabaddi with predominant desi participation.

Nole>Federer, hope mulo doesn't see this :fear1:

Dilip Kumar is a poor actor as is Amitabh. The 3 Khans too are bang mediocre. Soumitra Chatterjee and Uttam Kumar are joint Indian GOAT. Among modern actors Kamal Haasan is actually a pretty good artiste, leave his political buffoonery aside. Hey Ram is the greatest cinematic masterpiece from Indian shores since 2000. 

Robert De Niro, DiCaprio and Streep are mediocre actors. Scorsese is a mediocre director, least talented of the movie brats yet most celebrated. 

That Barbie Girl song by Aqua is strangely addictive and groovy...can't believe I typed that but I always feigned disgust in my childhood when it was played at parties. Also Vengaboys was a great band...there I said it. 

Desi music>>>>>>>English music and yeah I don't rate Queen, Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin etc.

Sachin getting Bharat Ratna was one of the biggest screw ups as far as big awards go. Leaving aside his cricket achievements, one of the most underwhelming public persons and an opportunist  fence sitter with no concern about morality and ethics.

Pakistani girls are over rated in looks department, dunno why many of us go gaga over them. 

Forget Mughal architecture or South Indian temples, the Jain temple complexes in Rajasthan are our greatest architectural feats. 

Aaj ke liye itna hi, time to hit the bed. 

Edited by Gollum

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

Nehru was a good PM, as was Indira Gandhi. Rot started with that Italian lady's entry into GOP. 

Bose is over rated. Not questioning his commitment to the cause but he isn't the mythical hero many make him out to be. Nor was he the promised messiah that was snatched too soon from us, also the conspiracy about his unfortunate demise is BS. 

Indians lack spine, look at our dynasty politics (till 2 generations is fine, beyond that is overkill IMO) and this mahagathbandhan, look at our feudal mindset....maybe not so unpopular but had to say. Historically we have been a subservient lot and sadly nothing much has changed the last 70 years. 

Our caste system is the oldest running apartheid system outside the Muslim world. I am glad to see a surge in non violent, democratic Dalit uprising, the other alternative is an all out civil war considering the pent up anger over their sufferings at the hands of other Hindus for centuries. The recent development in Dalit politics is a nice safety valve feature, allow it to play out. 

India is active in carrying out insurgency operations in its immediate neighborhood, but we don't want to accept. Think LTTE, Mukti Bahini. We aren't an innocent party no matter how much we pretend otherwise. 

Hindutva terror is real, I have suspicions that some of the terror attacks of 2000s aren't being investigated properly by agencies. Of course it is localized and small in scale but ignoring it will only present us with greater troubles in the future. 

Again not sure if unpopular, but Islam is mental sickness. That 7th century barbaric cult has no place in 21st century. We are heading towards an all out global scale war between Muslims and rest of humanity, and blood spilt will be a historical record. 

Cricket is a dying sport, in 20 years time it will be like kabaddi with predominant desi participation.

Dilip Kumar is a poor actor as is Amitabh. The 3 Khans too are bang mediocre. Soumitra Chatterjee and Uttam Kumar are joint Indian GOAT. Among modern actors Kamal Haasan is actually a pretty good artiste, leave his political buffoonery aside. Hey Ram is the greatest cinematic masterpiece from Indian shores since 2000. 

Robert De Niro, DiCaprio and Streep are mediocre actors. Scorsese is a mediocre director, least talented of the movie brats yet most celebrated. 

That Barbie Girl song by Aqua is strangely addictive and groovy...can't believe I typed that but I always feigned disgust in my childhood when it was played at parties. Also Vengaboys was a great band...there I said it. 

Desi music>>>>>>>English music and yeah I don't rate Queen, Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin etc.

Sachin getting Bharat Ratna was one of the biggest screw ups as far as big awards go. Leaving aside his cricket achievements, one of the most underwhelming public persons and an opportunist  fence sitter with no concern about morality and ethics.

Pakistani girls are over rated in looks department, dunno why many of us go gaga over them. 

Forget Mughal architecture or South Indian temples, the Jain temple complexes in Rajasthan are our greatest architectural feats. 

The hell man!!

I don't even know where to begin. Obviously I disagree with a lot of these but hey it's an unpopular opinion thread after all.

Even then the way you clubbed Desi music in one and rated it above certain famous international musical groups is as blasphemous as it gets. Didn't expect this from a refined poster like you :/

PS: And yes Muloghonto will eat you alive. Good luck lol.

@Gollum That Barbie song is indeed quite addictive lol. Used to be my favorite in childhood. Par bade ho kar jab lyrics samajh aaye tab pata laga ki asal me mamla kuch aur hi tha :hysterical:

Speaking of cheesy songs. Dunno if you remember this classic from Las Ketchup.

MTV used to play it on a loop during early 2000s. Nice catchy tune.

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

Nehru was a good PM, as was Indira Gandhi. Rot started with that Italian lady's entry into GOP. 

Our caste system is the oldest running apartheid system outside the Muslim world. I am glad to see a surge in non violent, democratic Dalit uprising, the other alternative is an all out civil war considering the pent up anger over their sufferings at the hands of other Hindus for centuries. The recent development in Dalit politics is a nice safety valve feature, allow it to play out. 

Hindutva terror is real, I have suspicions that some of the terror attacks of 2000s aren't being investigated properly by agencies. Of course it is localized and small in scale but ignoring it will only present us with greater troubles in the future. 

Just saw Vengaboys mentioned in your post. Legendary band indeed! 

Their song "Brazil" became so famous in my village that it used to be played in every wedding functions and us dehati children would dance like there was no tomorrow lmao.

4 hours ago, Vilander said:

If you did can you tell me something that disappointed you in the screen adaptation. What is it ?

there are many in the latter seasons, but I won't focus on them since they overtook the books. among the things that I disliked from the early & mid seasons include: handling of dorne, overly prolonged depiction of theon's torture across a season (served no purpose IMO), jaime-cersei sex scene (written very differently in the book), etc. among the plotlines from the book that were discarded, I thought that dropping lady stoneheart was a bad move too.

Btw, there are books where I feel the movies did a better job. Godfather is one, IMO.

Add Balochistan too.
Heard the separatist stuff is funded by India in retaliation to Kashmir.
Nehru messed up a lot and so did Indira.

But yeah - Sonia is the real dangerous one.

Actually the problem is mainstream media actively supports and pushes the radical stream of Islam while running the War on terror.
Ironic indeed !
All this will lead to eventually right wing governments all around the world and Muslims will be put in concentration camps and gassed by Far right christians.
Already happening in China.

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, Vijy said:

there are many in the latter seasons, but I won't focus on them since they overtook the books. among the things that I disliked from the early & mid seasons include: handling of dorne, overly prolonged depiction of theon's torture across a season (served no purpose IMO), jaime-cersei sex scene (written very differently in the book), etc. among the plotlines from the book that were discarded, I thought that dropping lady stoneheart was a bad move too.

Btw, there are books where I feel the movies did a better job. Godfather is one, IMO.

Add to that,

1) Speeding up things for plot conveniences. Remember Danny arriving beyond the wall in like couple of hours lol 

2) The whole oldtown plot of Sam and Gilly looked completely stupid and out of place.

3) Littlefinger selling Sansa to Ramsay. Yeah right.

These are all off the top of my head.

Speaking of movies doing justice to books , the Lord of the Rings movies IMHO were on par with the novels if not better.