111 year old Siddaganga matha swami passed away - given state funeral

coffee_rules

https://www.deccanherald.com/liveblog/tumakuru-siddaganga-mutt-seer-shivakumara-swamiji-714104.html

see_Siddanganga_04_750.jpg

'Walking God' Siddaganga seer gets state funeral

• Received on WA..

--

During tea break in office today, my Korean colleague asked me "Please tell me who is Shivakumara Swami, why are millions of people in such deep grief over his demise?"

I asked him "Do you know Mother Teresa?"

He replied "Of course, world renowned Nobel Prize winner popular for her humanitarian works. We even had a paragraph about her in our textbooks"

I said "Very good. Now think about Mother Teresa, her accomplishments & her ecosystem, subtract religious conversions from it, subtract media publicity from it, add 132 educational institutions producing 50,000 graduates annually to strengthen Indian economy, add Gurukuls educating 10,000 students annually to safeguard traditional academic learning, add free meals facility to all students, add agricultural initiatives supporting 5 lakh farmers annually, and that's how you finally get Shivakumara Swamiji"

He exclaimed "Wow!! This is seriously unbelievable. He seems to be a role model for humanitarian efforts for the whole world. In South Korea, we knew about Indians like Mother Teresa & Mahatma Gandhi, but I wonder why we were never aware of Shivakumara Swamiji"

I said "There's a simple reason for it. The global media never tried to highlight his efforts & achievements, because he always wore saffron".

Edited by coffee_rules

Great humanitarian indeed, respect to the seer. Proud to know a fellow Indian achieved and contributed so much in his long life. A true Bharat Ratna in my eyes even if GOI doesn't confer it. 

But @coffee_rules your generalization of non-Kannadigas in Bengaluru is rather unfair. I too live in the city as do many many people from outside the state. There are dickheads in every community and we've got to accept that. But there are many tolerant, respectful people too who immerse themselves into the local culture. Hope you edit out your last part, won't be good to deviate from the topic at hand and descend to the usual North-South jhagda. 

Edited by Gollum

During tea break in office today, my Korean colleague asked me "Please tell me who is Shivakumara Swami, why are millions of people in such deep grief over his demise?"

I asked him "Do you know Mother Teresa?"

He replied "Of course, world renowned Nobel Prize winner popular for her humanitarian works. We even had a paragraph about her in our textbooks"

I said "Very good. Now think about Mother Teresa, her accomplishments & her ecosystem, subtract religious conversions from it, subtract media publicity from it, add 132 educational institutions producing 50,000 graduates annually to strengthen Indian economy, add Gurukuls educating 10,000 students annually to safeguard traditional academic learning, add free meals facility to all students, add agricultural initiatives supporting 5 lakh farmers annually, and that's how you finally get Shivakumara Swamiji"

He exclaimed "Wow!! This is seriously unbelievable. He seems to be a role model for humanitarian efforts for the whole world. In South Korea, we knew about Indians like Mother Teresa & Mahatma Gandhi, but I wonder why we were never aware of Shivakumara Swamiji"

I said "There's a simple reason for it. The global media never tried to highlight his efforts & achievements, because he always wore saffron"

saw this discussion on quite a few of the whatsapp groups ...