Pandya, Rahul can certainly be role models - Rahul Dravid

BlueBee

Rahul Dravid, the former India captain who is now the India A and India Under-19 coach, believes the responsibility of mentoring should not lie solely with the cricketing authorities. Speaking to ESPNcricinfo, Dravid says it begins at home. Dravid says players should understand their responsibilities to begin with, understand what repercussions their words and actions can have, and how they can be guiding lights for others if they do things the right way.

Are you happy with the CoA's decision to lift the suspensions on Pandya and Rahul?

I am glad the suspension has been lifted. There is an inquiry in process which must be completed.

Some critics have pointed out that bringing the players back into the dressing room is not wise because it will hurt public sentiments. Do you agree?

No one is brushing this under the carpet. The players have been the first people to admit that they made a mistake. They already have suffered a lot publicly. It is time to move on. We also need to ensure we don't overreact. At no stage are you condoning their action or the behaviour.

Did you watch the chat show on which Pandya and Rahul spoke?

I did not see the full show. I saw bits and pieces. At one level the players themselves have come out and said how disappointed they were with the way it came out, and rightly so. Clearly when you are representing India you need to be a bit careful with your public views and comments that you make because it might be completely inappropriate to a lot of people. Having said that it is important to recognise and realise that sometimes these things can happen. Sportspersons and public figures can make mistakes. It is part of learning and growing up.

You made this comment, let us not overreact - what specifically did you mean?

Sometimes we forget that mistakes have happened in the past. They will happen in the future. If you were to read the papers or if I were to hear comments it comes across as if it is only happening now. I can understand some of the anger, I can understand some of the reactions, but one has to understand mistakes will happen.

Clearly then what you are saying is Pandya and Rahul continue to be role models. They have accepted their mistake, which they will have to live with, and they just have to learn from it?

Absolutely. I have no doubt about it. I have coached both of them at various levels. I somehow just don't feel that interview truly reflected the players. Hopefully they will come back better and stronger from this. I will say honestly, I do believe that both of them have not yet achieved their obvious potential that they both have, and maybe this might be the catalyst that would lead them to reflect and help them reach the level and potential they can achieve in all forms of the game. If they can do that they can certainly be role models.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/25850129/pandya-rahul-certainly-role-models-rahul-dravid

They already are models, so they have one part covered :giggle: