How the F**k did India loose to this England side! F**K!

chewy

Calm down. Same English team thrashed RSA home and away, they have a mental block in WI which can't be explained in rational terms. They aren't a bad side, they are deadly at home and haven't lost a home series for 5 years now, 7 years if you include 3/3+ test series.

India is the weakest batting line up against swing this decade, worse than WI, Pak, Lanka etc. Unless we rectify this weakness we won't improve in England. Add to that our bad luck with tosses, injuries and questionable selections, topped by a horrendous catching series where we dropped like 17-18 regulation catches. We were winning the 1st test if only we had held on to the catches in their second innings, Dhawan was a repeat offender. I didn't follow Aus series but I am guessing we didn't drop many, holding on to catches is priority no 1 in SENA. Even forgetting the bad luck with injuries and dropped catches we aren't in a stage to win after losing the toss in any of the SENA countries, not just England. Hell we got crushed by Australia in the one match we lost the toss, same in RSA. We are mental midgets in 4th innings and 120 is our 4th innings limit in SENA, simply not good enough.

If we tour England again this year we will still lose, England has historically been our worst visiting venue and we haven't made any significant improvement to be able to challenge them in those conditions. But if they come to India they will get flogged even after winning most tosses. 

Complete OTT thread. 

Edited by Gollum

From the top of my head these are the latest series wins by teams in England:

India 2007

RSA 2012

NZ 1999

Aus 2001

Pak 1996

Lanka 2014 but that was a 2 test series, even we were ahead after 2 tests same year

WI 1988

England never does well in WI, lost in 2009 (5 test series) and drew in 2015. They might still win this time breaking a 15 year old drought.

They took WI too lightly. I am expecting WI will be handed a customary thrashing next match.

Every now and then we see WI pull of something and then everyone says resurgence of WI cricket blah blah and then it all goes back to business as usual that is WI playing like minnows.

However enjoyed Brits being  put in their place

Edited by maniac

When Brits go to WI they are more interested in the beaches and tourism.. it's inherent.. the Barmy Army strength increases by a minimum 25% on their trips to the Carribbean .. this is the sole reason why they are not concerned about the cricket too much.. also they probably haven't rated the WI team and were shocked to realise how good Chase, Hope, Holder, Dowrich and Roach are.. they have not yet seen the best if Gabriel and Joseph... I so wish they would throw out Bravo.. this guy has never pp layed to his potential and has always remained a rich guys UA .. even his brother is a better option but he has other problems.. I would like to see Benn being brought back as he is someone who can make a real impact on pitches that will take turn unlike Barbados.. Brits even couldn't manage Chase here.. I would love to see what happens at Antigua where it will definitely turn more

58 minutes ago, maniac said:

They took WI too lightly. I am expecting WI will be handed a customary thrashing next match.

Every now and then we see WI pull of something and then everyone says resurgence of WI cricket blah blah and then it all goes back to business as usual that is WI playing like minnows.

Not happening this time.. WI were not improving because they do not play test consistently.. this team now for 2 years have been playing quite a lot of test cricket together and the core of the team has not changed since we played them back in 2016. That says a lot about how they have made good strides and improved.. yes they had a bad tour of the subcontinent but other than that they have done well.. they beat Bangladesh at home.. Sri Lanka could only draw in WI .. They drew in UAE and won a test in English.. we should not take them lightly at all when we tour them later for the ICC test championship after the WC

Edited by carnish

When was the last time WI won a test match?

I can't remember...

Winning within 4 days...that could be a 2 decades back...

I wouldn't say resurgence but there is something about this team...

Get prepared to see these upsets more often in home conditions for WI

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Tapatalk

I think it hurts more losing to this English side than the earlier debacles.

1) For the first time in our history, our bowling was top knotch. Though Bumrah/ Shami missed matches, except Lords, we were in the game in almost all the other tests.

2) Kohli was the sole man standing in our batting. Pujara did well in that 4th test. But apart from these wo, our batsmen flopped. Dhawan/ Vijay and Rahul were atrocious. If only some of them scored atleast a 30-40, we would have won in Edgebaston.

3) Lastly, captain genius and Shastri missed a lot of tricks with team selection. Who the * plays a newbie wristspinner on a green Lords track? Also, Ashwin, being our premier spinner failed in that 4th test where he was the reason we ended up chasing 300 odd and not 170-180.

2 hours ago, Gollum said:

Calm down. Same English team thrashed RSA home and away, they have a mental block in WI which can't be explained in rational terms. They aren't a bad side, they are deadly at home and haven't lost a home series for 5 years now, 7 years if you include 3/3+ test series.

India is the weakest batting line up against swing this decade, worse than WI, Pak, Lanka etc. Unless we rectify this weakness we won't improve in England. Add to that our bad luck with tosses, injuries and questionable selections, topped by a horrendous catching series where we dropped like 17-18 regulation catches. We were winning the 1st test if only we had held on to the catches in their second innings, Dhawan was a repeat offender. I didn't follow Aus series but I am guessing we didn't drop many, holding on to catches is priority no 1 in SENA. Even forgetting the bad luck with injuries and dropped catches we aren't in a stage to win after losing the toss in any of the SENA countries, not just England. Hell we got crushed by Australia in the one match we lost the toss, same in RSA. We are mental midgets in 4th innings and 120 is our 4th innings limit in SENA, simply not good enough.

If we tour England again this year we will still lose, England has historically been our worst visiting venue and we haven't made any significant improvement to be able to challenge them in those conditions. But if they come to India they will get flogged even after winning most tosses. 

Complete OTT thread. 

That's arguably true but you'll also have to account for the amount of swing we had to face than say Pak in 2015(?) & last year. If the conditions are like night & day then it's objectively impossible to say why or if we're the worst against swing.

No it's been Aus & SA, with SA being the toughest post 1990 arguably even harder than Aus. England is good at home but they really are a bog avg side with 1 WC batter & another WC seamer,  both of which avg far better at home than away!

Edited by R!TTER
10 minutes ago, R!TTER said:

That's arguably true but you'll also have to account for the amount of swing we had to face than say Pak in 2015(?) & last year. If the conditions are like night & day then it's objectively impossible to say why or if we're the worst against swing.

But we also failed in 2011 and 2014..this decade we have been poor in those conditions. 

No it's been Aus & SA, with SA being the toughest post 1990 arguably even harder than Aus. England is good at home but they really are a bog avg side with 1 WC batter & another WC seamer,  both of which avg far better at home than away!

RSA was the toughest in 90s and maybe Aus too...but those 2 were again always among the top teams unlike England. And we never disgraced ourselves apart from 1/2 tours. In England it has been one humiliation after the other, we are unable to even fight for draws. And the margins of defeat on many occasions are shocking. 

I think England is a good test team, not great like the 2009-12 team but pretty good considering the field we have now. 

7 hours ago, maniac said:

Toss is important though ,if we see similar pitches for the next 2 tests ,then winning the toss becomes even important especially for windies .

Though even I feel England will smash them in the next test ,the decider will be a close one 

This time WI has truly emerged from minnow category IMO... 

Bats Brathwaite, hope, hetmyer

A Gutsy batsman-keeper  in dowrich. 

One of the best allrounder in holder and chase.

Pace attack is heartening - gabriel, alzarri, roach, oshane.

They can go past SL, pak for sure in test rankings.

1 hour ago, Starpower said:

not westindies 

eng will win series 

eng are sloppy in the first test 

of new series,

only india un lucky in 2018

if india lead by someone else than Chiku india had solution how to removes Tail asap.

England hasn't won in WI in a long time.