Fans Call Cheteshwar Pujara "Cheater" For Escaping Dismissal During Ranji Trophy Semi-final

vayuu1

7 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

If you think Gujarat crowd will not boo and cricket fans will behave like  saints as compared to other cricket crowds  in India, then so be it.

do you have examples of crowd shouting cheater to other team players in India? .... I have seen crowd booing their own players though 

25 minutes ago, Kannadiga said:

What else do you call him if he knew he was out? :dontknow: 

And why is he getting embarassed for being called out? lol.. Maybe he shouldn't have done that. 

Fans have come to support their state team and they have no obligation to put up with such nonsense. 

For cricketers,  they see it as a bad decision being compensated by a decision in favor. For crowds they see the individual decision given at the venue they are attending . They will consider this as cheating and there is nothing wrong about that opinion as well. Pujara cheated to even up bad decisions he has got previously and was called up by crowd. If this was not a knockout he may have walked , but even that is doubtful. Major match, didn't walk. Crowd called him for cheating. 

41 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Also to be fair, Banglore has seen a massive influx of non-kannada speaking population drawn in by the IT industry, some level of frustration is normal.  See how Bombay went through its share of dealing with "lungi wallas" etc few decades back - that's how the Shiv Sena was born.  Hopefully, with higher education levels and better economic conditions, such reactionary stuff just fades away with bit more time.  

Bingo. 

1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:

Pretty sure Karnataka players have a fair share of such scenarios where their players didn't walk off. Even Tendulkar has not walked off a few times. Walking is not mandatory

The question is not whether Pujara did the right thing because he didn't. The question is whether fans were right in calling him out. And I think you cannot fault the fans here.  Pujara is not the first person to not walk off. He won't be last. But at the end of the day it's not in the spirit of the game. And if fans are unhappy you cannot really fault fans here. Then we have some ridiculous justification given here : Like he just win a series for India. So what? This is Karnataka vs Saurashtra.  I am sure same set of fans will cheer for Cheteswar once he dons Indian jersey.

Edited by Pollack
1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

We have even booed Gavaskar when he did bat left handed to deny Kar an outright victory, Sachin was booed by Mumabi fans in 2006. Why is Cheateshwar any better? Is he a Holy Cow? He did it twice, he took advantage of not having DRS, this victory is tainted. I will support Wasim Jaffer in the the final, will do a homa for Sau to fail in the final. I have always favored him in the Indian team and will continue to do, he is my fav player in the Indian team. But, regional rivalry when it comes to that, nobody gives in. 

Bhai to homa kr ya mo..ma kr usko gh. Nta faraq nhi padta. 

2 minutes ago, Kannadiga said:

Yeah, there's no point in crying about it. He cheated and rightly called so. Crowd didn't waste their time and money to see decisions like this. 

If this was the first or second round match, then crowd would perhaps ignored this cheating. Getting knocked out of Ranji tournament was bound to create some anger amongst fans. Both teams should move on. 

There is no reason pujara should have walked , it’s not cheating but some of you are making this a language/region thing ? Or it’s just simple frustration of fans who came to see their team win lose due to bad umpiring . Should be happy people watch domestic matches in these parts while lot of Indian matches are played in empty stadiums in other cities 

1 minute ago, jusarrived said:

There is no reason pujara should have walked , it’s not cheating but some of you are making this a language/region thing ? 

Not walking off is cheating. Just because it's been so common doesn't make it right.  The only thing you can say is you cannot crucify Pujara alone for not walking off since it's hypocritical to do so.

26 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

To those who think Pujara should've walked, would you want to Kohli to do the same if he were in a similar situation in a WC Final?

Now we have DRS, so there is less whining, but if there wasn't DRS and it happened against India twice in same match whole ICF would have been crying cheating. 

2 hours ago, maniac said:

When I was younger I used to think among the south states Keralites and Tamilians have a strong language feeling where as Andhra and Karnataka were kind of the forgotten states.

However there must have been some Taliban kind of a ethnic/ language based movement in Karnataka recently as I see Kannadigas have become very radical. They have superseded every other language based group in India in terms of this. 

Examples- we set up a Ganesh pandal in my apartments in Hyderabad. Our aparatment hires a priest  during this time.

There is this Kannada aunty who ensures that she hires only a Kannada priest if she is in charge of organizing the festival that year.Not that anyone cares but she found a Kannada speaking priest in Hyderabad, kudos to her rashtra Bhakti :hatsoff:

Similarly back in the day most of my Kannada friends used to watch Telugu movies. These days they refuse to watch anything other than “Kannada” Movies :hmmmm2:

I heard Karnataka even banned regional movies.

They are forming cliques in offices which is the birthright of Telugu caste groups,Gujjus  and Tamilians. What is going on?

Now they are booing Indian hero Pujara.

Is Karnataka being Talibanized :nervous:

Maybe deserves its own thread @coffee_rules @diga @Lannister @Kannadiga @jalebi_bhai

@philcric

Lol the hypocrisy.

There is only one reason your are Rohit Sharma’s fan , you should stop pointing fingers at others . 

As for the Kannada priest example you gave , a lot of my family does the same in fact we get someone from mangalore within Karnataka . Next time rather than making your own assumption, ask he why she gets a priest from Karnataka .

9 minutes ago, Pollack said:

Not walking off is cheating. Just because it's been so common doesn't make it right.  The only thing you can say is you cannot crucify Pujara alone for not walking off since it's hypocritical to do so.

Well the problem with walking is you get a lot of bad decisions against you as well . So am completely ok with them not walking . 

3 minutes ago, Kannadiga said:

That's not the point. With all the money, BCCI could have easily arranged for DRS in knockout stages. It's embarrassing to see mistakes like this still happening. 

Totally agree . Neutral umpires is a good step but the neutral umpires can also make errors as is reported in this match. DRS should be there given the resources BCCI has at its disposal. Hope this match will result into BCCI implementing DRS next season onwards.

Just now, jusarrived said:

Well the problem with walking is you get a lot of bad decisions against you as well . So am completely ok with them not walking . 

I am ok with both walking or not walking off. I am not OK with not calling not walking off cheating. I am also not Ok with people calling out those who don't like players not walking off.

9 minutes ago, Kannadiga said:

That's not the point. With all the money, BCCI could have easily arranged for DRS in knockout stages. It's embarrassing to see mistakes like this still happening. 

100% agreed.  At least for the knockout games they should have done it.   Funds are no excuse at this point.  BCCI is billionaire multiple times over.