What is your favorite Indian mithai?

Gollum

Nobin Chandra Das and his son Krishna Chandra Das (inventors of Roshogolla, Ras Malai/Rossomalai, Kheer Kadam, Raj Bhog, Sondesh......) must rank among the most influential Indians of the modern era. In fact that entire family tree (spanning 3 generations) was a big part of the Bengal Renaissance movement, especially with regards to the spirit of scientific exploration. The original sweet shop was a major gathering point for the who's who of Calcutta....Swami Vivekananda, Ramakrishna Paramhansa and Sarada Devi in particular were held hostage by the awesomeness of the delicacies there.

Edited by Gollum

2 hours ago, Turning_track said:

So, Rosogolla is originally from Bengal or Odisha? I've travelled in both states & the inhabitants claim that it is from their own respective state. There has been lot of controversies around its GI tag as well.

Debatable but Bengal is the more popular choice because it is the birthplace of most of our milk based sweets. I have stayed in both states and never met an Odia who thought otherwise, this is a recent controversy I believe. But even if the final verdict goes their way I personally don't mind, I never really liked Roshogolla tbh....Bengal has produced far far better sweets. Odisha has given us Malpua....no legacy compared to her eastern neighbor which is the Mecca for all those with sweet tooth, so probability wise I would give the edge to Bengal if it comes to debates over invention of a chhana based item. This is similar to the Imarti/Jaangiri debate....Northies will claim it as their own, Southies will have a different view. Many of our sweets have local variations, won't be surprised if that is the case with Roshogolla. 

9 minutes ago, Gollum said:

I have tried Mysore Pak a few times, every single time the smell/taste of ghee was way too overwhelming. 

try sri krishna or a2b brand :p:

frankly its very difficult to get the right mix unlike other sweets which are bit easy to prepare 

7 minutes ago, velu said:

try sri krishna or a2b brand :p:

frankly its very difficult to get the right mix unlike other sweets which are bit easy to prepare 

Tried in mostly A2B (Bengaluru), never liked it. Their Paneer Jalebis OTOH are absolutely delicious. 

Edited by Gollum

Doesn’t have to be from your local area, Any region.

I honestly love Kaju ki barfi and good gulab Jamun. Unfortunately, I have not eaten a decent gulab Jamun in over 15 years as nothing compares to the ones in India. Here in U.S, all gulab jamun vendors have weird kind of sweet taste which makes you want to put it away. I have had luck once or twice but most were okayish and hence I have stopped buying/ordering Gulab Jamuns here.

But I still love Gulab Jamun and Kaju Barfi the most among all Indian mithais.

What is your favorite Mithai?