This is hands down the worst South African team of all time.

maniac

They can’t blame it on quotas because colored players like Rabada, Tahir and to some extent a washed up Amla seem some of their best players anyways.

However Phelekwayo, Mulder, Pretorious etc etc they are producing some real crap.

Not a single matchwinner in a side even at its worst previously  had 8-9 matchwinners in the side.

Steyn is over the hill now and maybe Rabada is the closest to a match winner and maybe Dekock but not totally convincing.

What a pathetic downfall. Don’t even think quota system has to be blamed.

Edited by maniac

i guess two things

(a) young white south africans who were the bread and butter for the national team are either leaving south africa for economic and security reasons, leaving behind mostly old white south africans. My collgue is a white south african who told me his entire extended family are looking to move to Europe either UK or Netherlands as they feel their existence its threatened in SA. Maybe he is hyping it up to gain asylum who knows, but the general feeling is people are looking to move out.

(b) The asians coloured (mixed race) and black populace is either not that capable or not rich enough to indulge in cricket.

I think the likes of Steyn Morkel Faf AB are the last great white south african cricketing generation. Questions is can other segments of South african society step up?

27 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Just goes to show how selfish AB Devilliers actually is. Kept his team hanging like this just before WC and playing in Bangla premier league :facepalm:

I bet you if SA board go to him with hands folded, he will play the WC.  His 'retirement' was just to avoid the controversy of skipping bilateral cricket in order to maximize his T20 earnings.  I don't blame him for trying to earn all he can, now that he has only a year or few left to play, but the whole way this has played out has been... interesting. 

As Indian fans, we are extremely lucky that our top players do not ever have to choose between earning money and doing what's best for the national team.  

1 minute ago, G_B_ said:

i guess two things

(a) young white south africans who were the bread and butter for the national team are either leaving south africa for economic and security reasons, leaving behind mostly old white south africans. My collgue is a white south african who told me his entire extended family are looking to move to Europe either UK or Netherlands as they feel their existence its threatened in SA. Maybe he is hyping it up to gain asylum who knows, but the general feeling is people are looking to move out.

(b) The asians coloured (mixed race) and black populace is either not that capable or not rich enough to indulge in cricket.

I think the likes of Steyn Morkel Faf AB are the last great white south african cricketing generation. Questions is can other segments of South african society step up?

I will start with a stereotype but White people in a mixed society usually become admins and run the sport and leave the athletics to the black people. Sounds crude but you see it in a lot of American sports or even the French and English soccer teams. I mean Rabada is probably the best pure athlete in cricket right now.

Is the Cricket board of South Africa run by government appointed members?

Back in the day Ali Bacher used to be in charge but who runs it these days?

4 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Phelekwayo is black as well. 

So what? He is crap. But so are Mulder and Preteroious who are white.

Their colored cricketers are fine like Rabada,Tahir.

It has nothing to do with quotas, they are just producing crap these days.

8 minutes ago, sandeep said:

I bet you if SA board go to him with hands folded, he will play the WC.  His 'retirement' was just to avoid the controversy of skipping bilateral cricket in order to maximize his T20 earnings.  I don't blame him for trying to earn all he can, now that he has only a year or few left to play, but the whole way this has played out has been... interesting. 

As Indian fans, we are extremely lucky that our top players do not ever have to choose between earning money and doing what's best for the national team.  

Our top players don’t need to worry for financial security like other country players. It has nothing to do with patriotism.

6 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

why is he selfish? you are comparing international cricket to hit and giggle format.

Dude...he retired just a year before WC. He should have stuck around till world cup and then retire, like Sanga did. If his body needed rest, he should have skipped few low profile bilateral series in between. But to keep the team hanging and he is enjoying some tamasha leagues around the world is selfishness. Just look at Dale Steyn...body gave up but still continuing in LOIs keeping WC in mind. That is called commitment. I have zero respect for players like ABDV.

Just now, Austin 3:!6 said:

Dude...he retired just a year before WC. He should have stuck around till world cup and then retire, like Sanga did. If his body needed rest, he should have skipped few low profile bilateral series in between. But to keep the team hanging and he is enjoying some tamasha leagues around the world is selfishness. Just look at Dale Steyn...body gave up but still continuing in LOIs keeping WC in mind. That is called commitment. I have zero respect for players like ABDV.

That is one extreme, other extreme is hanging for the World Cup despite being over the hill as you know :giggle: