Jump to content
R!TTER

2nd Test, England vs West Indies at North Sound, Jan 31 - Feb 4 2019

Recommended Posts

West Indies win the toss and will bowl

 

West Indies: 1 Kraigg Brathwaite, 2 John Campbell, 3 Shai Hope, 4 Darren Bravo, 5 Roston Chase, 6 Shimron Hetmyer, 7 Shane Dowrich (wk), 8 Jason Holder (capt), 9 Kemar Roach, 10 Alzarri Joseph, 11 Shannon Gabriel

 

England: 1 Rory Burns, 2 Joe Denly, 3 Jonny Bairstow, 4 Joe Root (capt), 5 Ben Stokes, 6 Jos Buttler, 7 Moeen Ali, 8 Ben Foakes (wk), 9 Sam Curran, 10 Stuart Broad, 11 James Anderson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

England are a decent test team that outdo India with stupidity in their selections. 

 

Bairstow is a gun test batsman at #5.  But they are making him play at #3.  They need decent batsmen for their top 3 slots, and don't have them, but instead of giving opportunities to top FC batsmen who bat in those slots, they keep going with make-shift batting line-ups, make-shift XIs.  Playing a test match with 2 specialist bowlers in T1 - classic England.  

 

Buttler - I had been advocating for him to become a test regular ever since they toured India - and credit where due, they put him in there.  But its super unfair to * over Bairstow in order to fit him in.  England do not need 3 wicket-keepers in this team.  It weakens their bowling for no good reason.  

 

Insisting on keeping Sam Curran in the team as 3rd bowler here, more stupidity.  He's a better batsman than a bowler in these conditions.  And your #3 bowler in a test XI simply cannot be a weak link.  

 

Their coach is a moron of the highest order - over-thinking and over complicating selection with nonsense theories and data analysis.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Root's batting has gone completely downhill, predictably, since he got the captaincy. Really think they need to take it off him for the good of the team. Buttler is the man. Root isn't even a good captain.

 

Good to see the Windies playing well in a one off series but it's obvious it's just extra motivation to beat England plus England being ****, complacent and unprepared. When you tour the Caribbean later this year it will be back to the same old modern Windies

Edited by YCCC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sandeep said:

England are a decent test team that outdo India with stupidity in their selections. 

 

Bairstow is a gun test batsman at #5.  But they are making him play at #3.  They need decent batsmen for their top 3 slots, and don't have them, but instead of giving opportunities to top FC batsmen who bat in those slots, they keep going with make-shift batting line-ups, make-shift XIs.  Playing a test match with 2 specialist bowlers in T1 - classic England.  

 

Buttler - I had been advocating for him to become a test regular ever since they toured India - and credit where due, they put him in there.  But its super unfair to * over Bairstow in order to fit him in.  England do not need 3 wicket-keepers in this team.  It weakens their bowling for no good reason.  

 

Insisting on keeping Sam Curran in the team as 3rd bowler here, more stupidity.  He's a better batsman than a bowler in these conditions.  And your #3 bowler in a test XI simply cannot be a weak link.  

 

Their coach is a moron of the highest order - over-thinking and over complicating selection with nonsense theories and data analysis.  

4

All well and good saying that but there isn't any number 3 around right now good enough to justify dropping Buttler for. It's not a great situation with Bairstow at 3 but it's better than chucking in someone who clearly isn't good enough.

 

I'm more than happy with Curran as the 3rd/4th seamer alongside Stokes personally. If Stone was around I'd have definitely considered putting him in but with Wood the only option to replace him I'd stick with Curran as they have done.

Edited by Stumped

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Stumped said:

but there isn't any number 3 around right now good enough

 

27 minutes ago, Stumped said:

but with Wood the only option to replace him I'd stick with Curran as they have done

 

You aren't going to find out if you have other options till you actually try them.  Indian ODI team persisted with Ashwin and Jadeja well until their bowling averages crept north of 40, and everybody on the circuit knew that wrist-spin was the way to go.  If not for Fakhar Zaman fluking his way to that innings in the CT final after a Bumrah noball, Chahal and Kuldeep wouldn't even have gotten the opportunity to boss ODI cricket like they are doing now.  

 

It is easy for selectors and team to fall into this trap of persisting with failed tactics and strategy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, sandeep said:

 

 

You aren't going to find out if you have other options till you actually try them.  Indian ODI team persisted with Ashwin and Jadeja well until their bowling averages crept north of 40, and everybody on the circuit knew that wrist-spin was the way to go.  If not for Fakhar Zaman fluking his way to that innings in the CT final after a Bumrah noball, Chahal and Kuldeep wouldn't even have gotten the opportunity to boss ODI cricket like they are doing now.  

 

It is easy for selectors and team to fall into this trap of persisting with failed tactics and strategy.  

Yes but both had solid domestic records backing them up. We don't have a career number 3 available like that right now, they just simply don't exist. If we chuck in someone averaging 30 in FC cricket simply because they're a number 3 they're not going to suddenly become a good enough test batsman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Stumped said:

Yes but both had solid domestic records backing them up. We don't have a career number 3 available like that right now, they just simply don't exist. If we chuck in someone averaging 30 in FC cricket simply because they're a number 3 they're not going to suddenly become a good enough test batsman.

So you're on board with chucking Joe Denly into opening slot, chucking Bairstow into #3 slot, chucking buttler into #5 slot, chucking curran into 3rd bowler slot?  

 

If not a #3, then play 3 openers.  Don't break what's working to fix what's broken.  This isn't complicated.  Its an example of a coach and team thinktank outsmarting themselves.  

 

With a healthy dose of underestimating the opposition.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, sandeep said:

So you're on board with chucking Joe Denly into opening slot, chucking Bairstow into #3 slot, chucking buttler into #5 slot, chucking curran into 3rd bowler slot?  

 

If not a #3, then play 3 openers.  Don't break what's working to fix what's broken.  This isn't complicated.  Its an example of a coach and team thinktank outsmarting themselves.  

 

With a healthy dose of underestimating the opposition.  

The lack of a number 3 and openers has been a hole for quite a while. Denly is a number 3 who's returned to the opening spot that he's done in FC cricket previously because we seem to have been through half the openers in county cricket already, we don't even have a 2nd opener to push in at the moment so how we're meant to find another one to bat 3 is beyond me. I'm behind Bairstow at 3 because I think on the whole the team would be worse off chucking in a specialist #3 with a mediocre FC record just for the sake of it.

 

I made my comments on Curran above :

 

Quote

I'm more than happy with Curran as the 3rd/4th seamer alongside Stokes personally. If Stone was around I'd have definitely considered putting him in but with Wood the only option to replace him I'd stick with Curran as they have done.

 

 

 
  •  
Edited by Stumped

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, putrevus said:

Can't beileve how mediocre player Sam Curran is and we let him become the difference between India winning the series.

Lets put the things into perspective here...

 

Curran is more like Jadeja ...Home track bully..

 

He is very handy player in the home conditions (England) where the ball is swinging and a very handy batsmen in swinging conditions..

 

He is a must in Home conditions but should be played on need basis outside England...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't believe how unrated Jadeja still is, on this forum. He was the number one test bowler in the world at one point, Curran won't match that even if he plays 20 tests on the trot in England. Jadeja's also rated as the top test A/R at some point, Curran won't match that ever.  Lastly Jadeja has outperformed Ashwin on every flat deck in the last 4 or 5 years yet it's him who's the home track bully, not fair weather (un)ethical mind pitchwin! 

Edited by R!TTER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Openers are so important for team to do well especially in low scoring games.Indian openers had been worse than tailenders .Even WI openers are showing patience to survive on a tough pitch.

They are playing at their home pitch. Indian opners always perform on their home turf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bahubali said:

They are playing at their home pitch. Indian opners always perform on their home turf.

They are no 8 test team and India is no1 team and it should expect  its openers to play better than tailenders every where.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
They are no 8 test team and India is no1 team and it should expect  its openers to play better than tailenders every where.
To certain extent, opening issue is sorted out with Mayank and Shaw...

Any status on Shaw injury....

Hopefully it's not career thearting

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, gakgupta said:

To certain extent, opening issue is sorted out with Mayank and Shaw...

Any status on Shaw injury....

Hopefully it's not career thearting

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Tapatalk
 

Hope that is the case we saw how one good opener like Mayank made so much difference in outcome of the matches. The trio Rahul, Vijay and Dhawan were horrible.I hope we saw the last of both Vijay and Dhawan. Rahul has lot of issues but they can be sorted out if he is willing to work on them.

Edited by putrevus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2019 at 12:57 PM, Stumped said:

I'm more than happy with Curran as the 3rd/4th seamer alongside Stokes personally. 

Batting at #9.  Contributing barely 10% of overs in a 110 over innings and counting.    Picking test XI with T20 logic doesn't work.  At what point does batdeep for batdeep's sake become counterproductive?   England demonstrating this quite well this series. 

 

Test XIs have to picked by deciding who's going to get you 20 wickets - that's the starting point.  

 

England literally could have picked any batsman or bowler in place of little Curran and it would be a better pick.  By miles.  

 

But just like our buddy Stumped, the England team will stubbornly keep insisting its right, well after its proven beyond doubt that its wrong. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

West Indies would have been easily allout today, Loved the way Bravo stood up, Face ove 1/4 th of total balls bowled today.

even after that hit on arm where he needed medical Attention. Him and Brathwaite simply tiring Wnglish bowlers.

Curran needs to be rested as well next game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, R!TTER said:

The ultimate HTB Clouderson getting exposedB->

He was screwed by root last match itself when he decided to go with 2 pacers and then asked both pacers to take 20 wickets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2019 at 3:27 PM, Sachinism said:

Man Joe Root has really gone into hiding one Smith gone banned.

 

Yes, he is not shining the ball anymore. Something was definitely fishy in that webbed jersey of his

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Yes, but Stokes is the 4th bowler doing the 3rd bowler job.  And the effort he put in, particularly in the last hour, was praiseworthy.

Root is simply clueless. I heard that before the first test, after inspecting the pitch, he wasnt sure how it will behave. Then as per Gough, umpires confused him further by changing the pitch hust a day before the game. No wonder he is loosing the match in selection itself

Edited by mishra

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, mishra said:

Root is simply clueless. I heard that before the first test, after inspecting the pitch, he wasnt sure how it will behave. Then as per Gough, umpires confused him further by changing the pitch hust a day before the game. No wonder he is loosing the match in selection itself

Root is displaying a lot of anecdotal evidence of being mentally weak.  He is being led around by the nose by team think-tank, whether its just the coach I don't know.  First he wasted a year or more by trying to fill the #3 gap by promoting himself there.  Which was a big and obvious mistake.  He fell prey to that Australian myth about best batsman at #3 - that's only true on the roads in Aus.  Everywhere else its #4, for good reason.  Words about leading from the front are just that - words.  A captain does best for his team, by putting himself in the best position to succeed.  After a long time he finally came to his senses and is back at #4.  Root's conversion problems with his own batting are another example of his mental strength found wanting. 

 

His team selection in the 1st test and 2nd test have been absolutely stupid.  They underestimated WI and treated these tests as easy wins and warm-ups.  That's why they picked Sam Curran in the team, as a developmental pick.  Hoping that he keeps improving - when the harsh truth is that his trundlery bowling is useless outside of the swinging conditions in England.  

 

I'm starting to think he should never have been made captain to begin with.  Jos Buttler has been anointed as the next LOI captain - and deservingly so.  Problem is that he's a bit like Brohit in test cricket - a bit of a lottery, and best suited to be a counterattacking #6/7.  BUT, he isn't good enough with the gloves to be full-time 'keeper.  So he's going to end up struggling to keep a place in the test team and cannot be all-format captain.  My prediction is that he will follow in Eoin Morgan's footsteps and become a LOI captain and specialist.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@sandeep That very beatifully out. I agree with comment that he shouldn’t been captain at all.

very first point against his captaincy is

 

Captain doesn’t get physically beaten by a Aussie player, ever in his life. He is too meek.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, mishra said:

@sandeep That very beatifully out. I agree with comment that he shouldn’t been captain at all.

very first point against his captaincy is

 

Captain doesn’t get physically beaten by a Aussie player, ever in his life. He is too meek.

 

Thanks bud!

 

I wouldn't read that much into getting suckerpunched by a rank asshole.  I'm more concerned about his attitude and actions on and around a cricket field.  He's a really talented batsman, but I would say at this point, he's far short of what the leadership requirements of Captaincy - well even behind the likes of Nasser Hussain.   Good captains get the max out of their player resources - Nasser led a shyte team and did his best to compete - kindof like Stephen Fleming.  Under Root's captaincy, with the wealth of allrounders and top-shelf keeper-batsmen in his team, it wouldn't be wrong to say the team has under-achieved a bit.  Some things are beyond a captain's control, but a lot of England's results can be directly traced back to bad decision making - that's squarely on the Captain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest, sign in to access all features.

×