India. Pakistan. Chennai. 1999

SK_IH

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

This match never happened. Mods please close the thread :((.

Tbh Ind never should have even got close to that target in 4th innings but just the utter will of Sachin got Ind close.However, these kind of matches highlight the fact test matches are never won till the last moment and ironically Poyz know it better than most now :lol:

Sachin choked, plain and simple. Kapil won us the 1981 MCG test with a serious shin injury which later became a stress fracture, so serious was the pain that in the 4th innings he came to bowl after all the others...target was a mere 140. Kumble bowled with a fractured jaw, Laxman won us the Mohali test with serious back spasms, UV played a big role in the 2011 WC with a golf ball sized tumor, Ashwin played the 2017 Australia series despite sports hernia pain, Clarke played a number of great knocks on days he would take 3 hours just to get off the bed, Arjuna defeated us with a fractured hand, Pataudi and Chandra played their whole lives handicapped. Amarnath took on the WI quicks with a broken collar bone, bruised jaw, broken ribs, concussion and knocked off teeth :hatsoff:.

The excuses Sachin's bhakts make are cringe worthy. His failure in crunch moments are well documented. A mental midget his whole life who could never take charge and lead his troops, always playing second fiddle or relying on others to get the team wins. Great great batsman from technical/artistic standpoint but lacked guts, character, bloody mindedness. His failure in the Chennai test best exemplifies his weak mental strength, no amount of justifications or fairy-tale stories will convince me otherwise. Elite athletes at that level are expected to break the pain barrier. 

Edited by Gollum
1 minute ago, Gollum said:

Sachin choked, plain and simple. Kapil won us the 1981 MCG test with a serious shin injury which later became a stress fracture, so serious was the pain that in the 4th innings he came to bowl after all the others...target was a mere 140. Kumble bowled with a fractured jaw, Laxman won us the Mohali test with serious back spasms, UV played a big role in the 2011 WC with a golf ball sized tumor, Ashwin played the 2017 Australia series despite sports hernia pain, Clarke played a number of great knocks on days he would take 3 hours just to get off the bed, Arjuna defeated us with a fractured hand, Pataudi and Chandra played their whole lives handicapped. Amarnath took on the WI quicks with a broken collar bone, bruised jaw, broken ribs, concussion and knocked off teeth :hatsoff:.

The excuses Sachin's bhakts make are cringe worthy. His failure in crunch moments are well documented. A mental midget his whole life who could never take charge and lead his troops, always playing second fiddle or relying on others to get him wins. Great great batsman but lacked guts, character or bloody mindedness. His failure in the Chennai test best exemplifies his weak mental strength, no amount of pain or fairy-tale stories will convince me otherwise. Elite athletes at that level are expected to break the pain barrier. 

Reasoning Sachin has given is stiff back, apparently he was struggling to stand but I agree with you that he somehow choked there.

In the same article , they have cited Lara's match winning effort two months later just to rub it into Sachin fans :giggle:

8 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

Reasoning Sachin has given is stiff back, apparently he was struggling to stand but I agree with you that he somehow choked there.

In the same article , they have cited Lara's match winning effort two months later just to rub it into Sachin fans :giggle:

Stiff back is the lamest excuse I have ever heard from a sportsperson's mouth. What a wuss !!! I laugh when the irrational Sachin fanboys bring up this knock to talk about his greatness. And he wasn't a rookie, that was his 10th year in international cricket plus some 80 odd test matches under his belt. 

Edited by Gollum
18 minutes ago, Gollum said:

The excuses Sachin's bhakts make are cringe worthy. His failure in crunch moments are well documented. A mental midget his whole life who could never take charge and lead his troops, always playing second fiddle or relying on others to get the team wins. Great great batsman from technical/artistic standpoint but lacked guts, character, bloody mindedness. His failure in the Chennai test best exemplifies his weak mental strength, no amount of justifications or fairy-tale stories will convince me otherwise. Elite athletes at that level are expected to break the pain barrier. 

Tendulkar had brought India as close as he could. India needed 16 runs to win when he got out. 

"The tail should have got those runs and finished the match for India" says many experts including Anantha Narayanan from CI. 
Fair point I will say, a mearge 16 runs....

17 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

So he hit a couple of fours to reduce the target from 25 to 17 but then choked on the next ball? One expects such comments from some of the resident idiots but not from you dude. I am assuming you think Gavaskar "choked" when he got out for 96 in his last Test as well. And Lara "choked" too when he nicked a couple of deliveries from Gillespie and McGrath in the latter stages of his 153. 

he is sarcastic :p: 

9 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

So he hit a couple of fours to reduce the target from 25 to 17 but then choked on the next ball? One expects such comments from some of the resident idiots but not from you dude. I am assuming you think Gavaskar "choked" when he got out for 96 in his last Test as well. And Lara "choked" too when he nicked a couple of deliveries from Gillespie and McGrath in the latter stages of his 153. 

That was a bad choke dude, worst part is the string of excuses about his bad back. I quoted several examples of cricketers playing through pain and winning matches...the 'stiff back' nonsense (he played the next test, nothing major) doesn't do justice to anyone with an iota of intelligence. That sorry excuse makes me react worse when I think about that loss. 

Gavaskar's knock came on a rank turner and he was barely surviving (quite a few umpiring reprieves), '99 Chennai pitch played better and SRT was in complete control. Lara was dropped but got the job done in the end, had he failed he too should have received criticism. And he didn't give a chance with a mad swipe like SRT. Anyhow if it makes you happier I don't rate Lara highly in the mental department either.

7 minutes ago, sarcastic said:

Tendulkar had brought India as close as he could. India needed 16 runs to win when he got out. 

"The tail should have got those runs and finished the match for India" says many experts including Anantha Narayanan from CI. 
Fair point I will say, a mearge 16 runs....

Close doesn't cut it. If you want to be hailed as the greatest batsman of your era you should finish the job. And it wasn't an unplayable ball that did him in, he played a gully mohalla level ghatiya shot and perished. He did the same in that Hyderabad 175 which sandeep mentioned. 

Chennai 1999 

Calcutta 1999  (they were 6/26 on day 1 morning :facepalm:)

Mohali 2005 escape

Bangalore 2005 (couldn't bat out final day on a patta against Sami, Razzaq, Afridi, Kaneria)

Karachi 2006 (0/3, 6/39....lost by 350 runs !!!)

The CT final disaster pales in front of these 5 heartbreaks, so many close matches we were thwarted by them.