India. Pakistan. Chennai. 1999

SK_IH

Just now, sandeep said:

A century in the 4th innings against a top class attack.  Your definition of "choke" is quite interesting.  

You can play very well, dominate proceedings, then lose because of choking at the final hurdle, happens in every sport known to man. Wise thing will be to admit the choke rather than searching for positives. 

56 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Sachin choked, plain and simple. Kapil won us the 1981 MCG test with a serious shin injury which later became a stress fracture, so serious was the pain that in the 4th innings he came to bowl after all the others...target was a mere 140. Kumble bowled with a fractured jaw, Laxman won us the Mohali test with serious back spasms, UV played a big role in the 2011 WC with a golf ball sized tumor, Ashwin played the 2017 Australia series despite sports hernia pain, Clarke played a number of great knocks on days he would take 3 hours just to get off the bed, Arjuna defeated us with a fractured hand, Pataudi and Chandra played their whole lives handicapped. Amarnath took on the WI quicks with a broken collar bone, bruised jaw, broken ribs, concussion and knocked off teeth :hatsoff:.

The excuses Sachin's bhakts make are cringe worthy. His failure in crunch moments are well documented. A mental midget his whole life who could never take charge and lead his troops, always playing second fiddle or relying on others to get the team wins. Great great batsman from technical/artistic standpoint but lacked guts, character, bloody mindedness. His failure in the Chennai test best exemplifies his weak mental strength, no amount of justifications or fairy-tale stories will convince me otherwise. Elite athletes at that level are expected to break the pain barrier. 

dravid was the matchwinner

sachin has plenty of first innings meaningless hundreds

i do feel that sachin 2 after his tennis elbow was a better bat as he batted more like dravid . defence was better

sachin 3 was the worst. thats 3 years prior to his retirement and thereon  

14 minutes ago, Gollum said:

You can play very well, dominate proceedings, then lose because of choking at the final hurdle, happens in every sport known to man. Wise thing will be to admit the choke rather than searching for positives. 

waah, waah, waaaah, "I" didn't get the result that I wanted, so I'm going to lash out irrationally and vomit baseless invective, displaying an inability to dispassionately evaluate context - yep, typical reaction of an emotional fan.  

Your loss Golu.  I"m not going to waste my breath leading a horse to water.  

31 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

So he hit a couple of fours to reduce the target from 25 to 17 but then choked on the next ball? One expects such comments from some of the resident idiots but not from you dude. I am assuming you think Gavaskar "choked" when he got out for 96 in his last Test as well. And Lara "choked" too when he nicked a couple of deliveries from Gillespie and McGrath in the latter stages of his 153. 

He hit a couple of fours and should predict the bowler is gonna come up with a variation. Saqlain bowled a straight ball that troubled almost every Indian batsman except Sachin and Dravid. And he did come up with the straight ball and Sachin played for the turn and hit a glory shot. He should have played a dot like he did in the entire innings. He faced 270 balls and couldnt play out the over and take a single in the 5th or 6th ball. That's what a batsman is supposed to do. Saqlain was the best bowler in that match and taking him on is not the smartest thing to do.

That innings had choker written all over it. And he got the Man of the Match award for it. All his fans will be jizzing over it while India lost a test match at home soil facing Pak after a decade. Sometimes the lesser talented players excel in doing the little things right. Dravid stayed until he finished off that Adelaide match and so did Laxman in that Mohali match. Heck even a Dhoni would have won this match by his lunging. I still cannot forget that match. The pain was somewhat less since I couldn't get the tickets for day 4 of the match. Sheesh that match was so close but still too far. I was sick watching it on TV. Must have been sicker watching it on the stadium.

3 minutes ago, mani sha said:

cos he didnt win us test matches 

he choked 

barbados

chennai 

second innings choker 

He did not stay till the end. If he stayed he won it for India. If not he is not match winner? LoL. Precisely my point one doesn't have to stay till the end to play a match winning innings. It's the wrong definition. He was the one who brought the match even remotely closer. Now that was a match winning innings. If others fail to score even 17-20 odd runs it doesn't make Sachin's innings any less match winning.

9 minutes ago, mani sha said:

dravid was the matchwinner

sachin has plenty of first innings meaningless hundreds

i do feel that sachin 2 after his tennis elbow was a better bat as he batted more like dravid . defence was better

sachin 3 was the worst. thats 3 years prior to his retirement and thereon  

Dravid consistently shat  the bed against Australia for 5 years, - both home and away.  To the extent that he was dropped from the #3 slot to #6 by the coach.  In fact, a 20 year old inexperienced tendulkar was 5 times the batsman that Dravid was in the first few years of his test career.   Dravid's prime came chronologically later than Sachin's and he had the benefit of a strong batting line-up around him to make it count.  All batsmen have their good days and bad as part of their career.  Recency bias works in Dravid's favor, plus the desire in a section of Indian fans to feel smarter by diminishing Tendulkar - the virtue-signaling to separate themselves from the "silly worshippers".   "Look at me, I'm very smart and elite - I like the bookish goodboy Dravid, I'm not like the riff-raff".  Bit of regionalism factors in here as well.  

1 minute ago, Real McCoy said:

In that match, he was the last recognized batsman and he played three high risk shots on the trot and got caught on the final attempt. Not a match winning innings that one.

If you feel that wasn't a match winning innings then you can live in your  own world. Sachin haters are as cringeworthy as his bhakts.

5 years ago there would have been 5 pages on this thread already with posters inventing new stories about Sachin's life ending back injury that day or how he displayed the courage of a Param Vir Chakra awardee in fighting a lone battle with grievous body wounds and the equivalent of the burden on Titan Atlas who had the planet on his shoulders. Glad at least that pitiable excuse isn't talked about anymore, things are improving on ICF, good good. 

Edited by Gollum
2 minutes ago, zen said:

Sachin probably relaxed once he got to his 100, thinking that his job as a batsman was done :dontknow:

There was no need to play that shot .... 

When a batsman gets out, it usually is because he's played a shot that was unnecessary, or executed incorrectly.  Shot selection is a subjective science, and should be evaluated in its context.  As an audience, we often lack the full set of information that went into the decision.

For example, reading this article, its news to me that Mongia was seriously ill during this match and the 4th innings.  Now seeing the sweater on him in the Chennai heat retrospectively supports that claim.  Without that info, and Mongia's assertion that they decided to bat proactively against the new ball - his dismissal is slightly more forgivable.  Wasim Akram is on record saying that those SG balls were gun-barrel straight when new, but started reversing very early into the innings.  

All of this is conjecture anyway.  And sure there were times in his 25 year career where Sachin blundered and made mistakes a plenty.  To claim that Chennai 4th innings was one of them is not only ignorant and inaccurate, its just extraordinarily petty.  Betrays a certain biased mindset tbh.