Dinesh Karthik

putrevus

Well, everyone flopped here. How do you expect karthik alone to prosper. Same goes for rayudu as well last match. 

Let's think objectively.

Yesterday's pitch is not regular odi pitch

Ball swings in odi are rare as blue moon

How many odi batsman can play swing well today. Very few. And those who play are called test batsmen.

Apart from kohli we don't have any test bat in our team.

And with regards to middle order able to bat let them get few more chances.

If Gill is successful then karthik might not have a play as dhoni and jadhav will make it 5 and 6.

Opening and one down  batting is easier in Odis than middle order . 

The true test for karthik and rayudu/Gill  would be to have NZ hit 360 + and us chasing from 100/3 in 20 overs.

This match is not a true barometer of what awaits us in WC.

He is decent, and be a good role-player for this team at #6 - provide that punch in the end of an innings from an experienced hand - like Raina did in WC 2011.  

When players ride the bench for extended period of time, its difficult to switch on and deliver against top opposition.  

I believe we need to hold back on the urge to bash the bench guys, just like its correct not to bash Gill on the back of his debut innings.  

8 minutes ago, sandeep said:

He is decent, and be a good role-player for this team at #6 - provide that punch in the end of an innings from an experienced hand - like Raina did in WC 2011.  

When players ride the bench for extended period of time, its difficult to switch on and deliver against top opposition.  

I believe we need to hold back on the urge to bash the bench guys, just like its correct not to bash Gill on the back of his debut innings.  

Exactly .. it's not as if they have been repeatedly flopping. If at all there is someone in that grade it's rahul in recent times.

I agree rayudu looks like a hack and karthik doesn't score more than few cameos , but karthik is a cameo player at 6 . He has got more experience in close finishes in international matches than anybody else on our bench. Rayudu is a decent 4 bat but we can't have both him and dhoni in same team. Hence justified in expecting him to do more.

Will dhoni be away from WC. Probably not. So better accept that and hope he strikes form and so does the support cast. I am rooting for Gill . Pant as number 6 will need to be tested out. For that we need to rest jadhav in few matches and see how it goes . Jadhav is a certainty in 11 like pandya

Seriously, he failed yesterday but he is least of our concerns. He is going to play as finisher and might not play every game but I would put him in the squad with the amount drama we have going in the middle order. He is fine to be in squad to play 4-5 games out of 9. We should be really concerned about our middle order who will end up playing 8 out of 9 games which can cost us spot in World Cup semi.

Karthik will come and score quick fire 30 odd or help in low chase when he comes after 40 overs and he will do the justice to his spot in the team. Same can't be said for other people sitting in the middle order. So we must focus on that rather than worrying about Karthik. Coming to bat int he middle order is not his strength, we know that. Its not like he will be asked to bat there every time. Pandya won't click in middle order every day too.

Just consider them as finishers and move on. 

Focus on Rayudu and how to send him on Caribbean cruise this English summer. 

21 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Focus on Rayudu and how to send him on Caribbean cruise this English summer. 

:laugh:  We all know you want Gill to get that slot.  He's going to need some luck to get that.  Has to quickly show some strong reasons why he's ahead of Shreyas Iyer.  Iyer can comfortably bat at higher SR, while Gill seems the "steadier" one.  Need to score runs to make the spot his own.  

^agree. The question is when would you need DK the batsman when Jadhav is already there as the No. 6 and the sixth bowler. Probably if Jadhav has repeated failure?

Rayudu and Dhoni shouldn't be in the same XI, but our captain seems to think Dhoni should play at 5, Jadhav shouldn't play at 4, hence Rayudu at 4.

3 minutes ago, sandeep said:

:laugh:  We all know you want Gill to get that slot.  He's going to need some luck to get that.  Has to quickly show some strong reasons why he's ahead of Shreyas Iyer.  Iyer can comfortably bat at higher SR, while Gill seems the "steadier" one.  Need to score runs to make the spot his own.  

As much as I wanted Gill. Honestly I don't even care who gets in at this time. I just want Rayudu out and Dhoni to bat at 4 and may be Jadhav bat at 5. 

Honestly, its getting too late going into the World Cup with youngsters not being given chance, so its also kind of unfair to select them and play. I just want 4/5 to not be Rayudu/Dhoni. I can take one of them, and I honestly rather take Dhoni over Rayudu, and thats it. Shut the shop and put Jadhav or some other guy at 5.

9 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

As much as I wanted Gill. Honestly I don't even care who gets in at this time. I just want Rayudu out and Dhoni to bat at 4 and may be Jadhav bat at 5. 

Honestly, its getting too late going into the World Cup with youngsters not being given chance, so its also kind of unfair to select them and play. I just want 4/5 to not be Rayudu/Dhoni. I can take one of them, and I honestly rather take Dhoni over Rayudu, and thats it. Shut the shop and put Jadhav or some other guy at 5.

Yeah that works I think.  Top 3 are a lock - Dhoni at #4 if we lose 3 before the 19th over, Jadhav, Karthik, Pandya ahead of Dhoni if we don't lose the 3rd wicket until the 33rd over.  

If Karthik keeps shitting the bed in the chances he gets till the WC, we can always slot Pant in for him.  

5 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Yeah that works I think.  Top 3 are a lock - Dhoni at #4 if we lose 3 before the 19th over, Jadhav, Karthik, Pandya ahead of Dhoni if we don't lose the 3rd wicket until the 33rd over.  

If Karthik keeps shitting the bed in the chances he gets till the WC, we can always slot Pant in for him.  

Yes, that will be pretty much our squad. We have to play between them only now. No more secrets or special drafting of players as most haven't played anything for India and they won't perform now given chance straight into World Cup at some weird spot. 

We can surely win with this team provided our whole team is playing with our top bowlers like Bumrah present int he line up and top 3  also present at same time. 

There will be days they won't click but the team isn't that bad. I do have concern about Jadhav click but then most teams have that concern about their hitters clicking.

Time will tell. I think we can win this cup. Our bowling makes me feel more comfortable. 

The problem with Karthik is if he play more than 25 balls, he is so unsure of what to do, this is not one off failure for him.He was the wicket keeper for first two tests in England too and looked so out of sorts there too.

Him and Rayudu if they cannot do anything when top order fails are of no use to this team.

Edited by putrevus
4 hours ago, putrevus said:

The problem with Karthik is if he play more than 25 balls, he is so unsure of what to do, this is not one off failure for him.He was the wicket keeper for first two tests in England too and looked so out of sorts there too.

Him and Rayudu if they cannot do anything when top order fails are of no use to this team.

It's the captain at fault here.He has penchant for experienced players in LOI, no matter how good or bad they are.

28 minutes ago, The Dark Horse said:

One bad performance and the swords are out :lol:

The guy never gets three matches in a row..gets to bat in a half of the matches he plays..same goes with Jadhav. He missed out on an opportunity yesterday yes. With just a few matched to go before the WC, ICF will drop these players but I guess not the team management.

Has got plenty of those chances and invariably failed. Last 50 he hit was 15 months back, has played lots of 20s and 30s but that seems to be his limit and that makes him a great fit for T20s but not for ODIs.

56 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Has got plenty of those chances and invariably failed. Last 50 he hit was 15 months back, has played lots of 20s and 30s but that seems to be his limit and that makes him a great fit for T20s but not for ODIs.

For you there's a lot of difference between a 45 and a 50...but not for the team management. Blindly saying he's not scoring 50s and 100s is not fair IMO, given the time he comes. I agree he should have made use of the opportunity yesterday, but so should have others.

34 minutes ago, The Dark Horse said:

For you there's a lot of difference between a 45 and a 50...but not for the team management. Blindly saying he's not scoring 50s and 100s is not fair IMO, given the time he comes. I agree he should have made use of the opportunity yesterday, but so should have others.

Excuses and some more

Last ODI came in the 8th over, scored a duck

1st ODI vs AUs - came in the 33rd over

Asia Cup final vs BD - came in 8th over, scored 7

Asia Cup vs Afg - Came in 18th over, scored 44

Asia Cup vs Hong Kong - Came in 30th over, scored 33

3rd ODI vs Eng - Came in 18th over, scored 21

vs SL at Dharmshala in 2017 - Came in 5th over, scored a duck

vs WI in 2017 - Came in the 6th over, scored 2

vs NZ at Mumbai in 2017 - Came in 16th over, scored 37

These are 9 instances out of the 15 he's batted in last 18 months, ample opportunities to score at least 1 50 but he's either not good enough or is satified with those 20s and 30s. Notice how he chokes every time two early wickets fall.