Pandya's raw batting talent

zen

We got to see someone great hitting by Pandya in this series. Also liked how he faced Boult in the last two games. I often wondered if Ind would have got 280+, if Pandya had come in earlier and allowed to settle down .... Currently, he lacks the experience of playing long innings like Rohit and Dhawan but in terms of raw batting talent, he appears to be in that league and someone who can win a game with the bat on his own. He has all types of shots and plays both pace and spin well (and will get even better with time)

Discuss in terms of raw batting talent, if Hardik right up there with Rohit and Dhawan.   

10 minutes ago, velu said:

you hype only golt players..

zen hype only gujju players..

i hype pan-indian players :dontknow:

Ishant Sharma,Rishabh Pant, Jason Holder, Prithwi Shaw,Steve Smith, Joe Root,Ross Taylor,Aiden Makram etc etc etc?

Edited by maniac
28 minutes ago, maniac said:

Another Pandya thread :wall:

Zen is overtaking me and @velu :giggle:

After a long time, I have followed cricket in detail. Saw Gill, Shankar, Rayudu, and Pandya .... Pandya when he bats looks as good as Rohit and Dhawan, who seem to have the similar flaws as Pandya too 

So far the youngsters (25 years or less) that have impressed me with their batting skills -> Shaw, Pant and Pandya .... Gill looks like a work in progress atm but will get better if he gets more opportunities 

I was a big advocate for batting Pandya at #5 - 15 months ago.  Reality is that Dhoni is still in the XI, and our #4 batsman is not yet settled - at that point, match practice for those 2 batsmen is more critical to our WC chances than Pandya batting earlier. Its a bit too late now.   Definitely Pandya has enough skill to potentially evolve into a handy batsman at #5.  He's not just a slogger, he's played enough cover drives and straight drives against top bowlers to demonstrate that.  

Problem is that a substantial chunk of posters here have him pigeon-holed as a borderline 3rd seamer who can bat a bit.  And they are unable to see anything beyond that - reality doesn't matter to these folks.  

Ideally, I would have wanted to see Dhoni retired 12 months ago, and Hardik Pandya and Rishabh Pant given a proper run at #5 and #6, with a Deepak Hooda/Washington Sundar/Krunal Pandya/K Goutham type guy at #7, i.e. an alternative to Jadhav who was an upgrade on the bowling front, while still being a handy lower order bat.   Heck I would have wanted to occasionally throw Pant in the opening slot on flatter tracks, to see whether he can be our game-breaker like up top like QdK.  

To me, India's best ODI XI has Hardik Pandya at no lower than #6, with an allrounder who can bat competently at #7, with Rishabh Pant either at the top of the order, or somewhere in the lower middle order.  

Pick 4 bowlers from (Bumrah, Bhuvi, Shami, Chahal, Kuldeep) depending on opponent match-up and conditions, and that team will increase our ODI winning probabilities even higher than what it is today.  

But its a bit too late to go to this combination for the WC - Dhoni is clinging on to the gloves, and its too late to throw in a Sundar/Krunal in ODIs.  Which is a shame really.  Given the number of times Jadhav was injured, we really should have given Sundar/Krunal/Goutham a bit of a run instead of Sir Rajput bwoy.

To add - its unfortunate that 2 of our youngest and most promising prospects both got serious ankle injuries when they were on the cusp of getting a chance to solidify their slots in the squad, if not the team.  

Sundar has been highly touted for his potential with bat and ball.  If we had a strong batsman at #4, followed by Rishabh and Pandya at 5 and 6, I think the only missing link stopping our team from being an unstoppable juggernaut in ODIs is a solid bowling allrounder who can be relied on to give you 8+ overs consistently, and can bat competently.  And no Jadeja isn't that guy in ODIs.  I don't think Krunal's bowling is strong enough to be that guy either.  

16 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Problem is that a substantial chunk of posters here have him pigeon-holed as a borderline 3rd seamer who can bat a bit.  And they are unable to see anything beyond that - reality doesn't matter to these folks. 

You hit the nail on the head .... this is also a reframing exercise