Jump to content
flamy

Ravi Shastri mulls batting Virat Kohli at No. 4 in World Cup

Recommended Posts

If they are playing Kohli at 4, then no Rayudu. Pant or Aggarwal should play at the top. If it seams in the earlier part of the tournament, open with Aggarwal and Dhawan and Rohit at one down. Later in the tournament, bring Rohit back to opening and play one of these two at 3.

Share this post


Link to post

Will be a defensive move and an admission we are going in with a poor middle order. Most likely to end like 2007 WC when Chappel decided to bat Sachin at 4. Okay to be flexible in some matches to give the middle order some batting opportunities during the tournament but as a strategy for WC, has disaster written all over it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, ShoonyaSifar said:

Will be a defensive move and an admission we are going in with a poor middle order. Most likely to end like 2007 WC when Chappel decided to bat Sachin at 4. Okay to be flexible in some matches to give the middle order some batting opportunities during the tournament but as a strategy for WC, has disaster written all over it. 

You're such a downer man. Look at the upside. No rayudu :aha:

Share this post


Link to post

Stupid idea, keep kohli where he is 

No one can do better then kohli at 3, the guy is the best and became best at 3 only

He himself wont be that effective at 4, ppl will quote his early part of career where but remeber then he played a lot many shots now his game is planned diff and he himself has said he likes batting at 3 and controlling the game from their 

Share this post


Link to post

A few of us here on ICF were of the view that we should try a batting order with Kohli at #4 and a good young stroke maker at #3 sandwiched between the two established openers and Kohli. 

 

This was about 9 months ago after IPL 2018, when Rahul, Pant and Shaw were in terrific LOI form.

 

It would have been a good experiment to see if it could strengthen the fragile middle order and also provide some uninhibited stroke play without risking our big 3 batsmen.

 

Selectors went the other way by selecting players like Rayudud, Karthik and Raina. And not selecting the likes of Rahul, Pant and Shaw.

 

Now it's all a little too late to experiment.

 

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, flamy said:

Yep, I remember us discussing this. Kohli at 4 also separates Dhoni and Rayudu.

 

The ideal separation would be by throwing Rayudud out of the team.

 

Or uniting them by throwing both out of the team. They can play tuk-tuk with each other in the comfort of their homes and in IPL.

 

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, philcric said:

 

The ideal separation would be by throwing Rayudud out of the team.

 

Or uniting them by throwing both out of the team. They can play tuk-tuk with each other in the comfort of their homes and in IPL.

 

Please come back to reality :phehe: Dropping Rayudu is possible. But MSD gonna MSD :aha:

Share this post


Link to post

My line up will be this 

Rohit

Dhawan

Kohli

Shankar

Dhoni

Pandya

Kuldeep

Chahal

Shami

Bumrah

Bhuvi

 

With Karthik missing out. Or push dhoni to 4 and replace Karthik with Shankar.

 

Share this post


Link to post

The whole thread is  tainted by  misintrepretation/misunderstanding.

 

Shastri said they would consider Kohli at 4 in case if conditions are deemed to be hostile initially and moving "Rayudu/someone else" to 3 . Its a case of flexibility. 

 

No where did he say Kohli would be a regular 4 . Or that he wanted Rayudu out.

 

However he has warned that IPL form will be very important and they are checking if its a 16 man squad.

Share this post


Link to post

Kohli should reward Shastri's fat laden cheek with a tight slap if bevda suggests something like this

Bevda is probably not able to digest the recent sucess we have had ,so is trying to derail the rythem of our best batsman

The current order is ok,we have to swallow the pain called dhoni up untill wc thats it,and rayudu too

Share this post


Link to post

I think it's a good move and something I have advocated for a long time. People here saying that it will be a negative approach etc. need to understand it's for team benefit. Do you want another CT final like situation with top 3 back in pavillion within 10 overs? With Kohli coming at 4, there is extra cushion. Ofcourse this should only be the case when we are chasing big totals. Kohli always bats at 3 when we are batting first.

 

But to have this approach (I.e Kohli at 4) meaning need to drop Rayudu and play with 3 openers (Shaw/Rahul). There is no point with Kohli batting at 4 with Rayudu and Dhoni to come...that don't serve purpose. It should be Dhawan-Rohit-Shaw-Kohli.

Share this post


Link to post

I have always been an advocate of Kohli at 4 in crunch games especially with a big chase to tackle and an early wicket down. Simply put the team cannot cope with a 20-2 scenario with Kohli and one of the openers out. The game is all but done at that point. 

 

Rayudu can certainly be used as the sacrificial lamb in such scenarios. 

Share this post


Link to post

Nowhere he said they will make Kohli no4 . All he said depending on situations if ball is seaming around they will bat Kohliat no4  to protect him.I don't think it would be  a bad move.World cup finals ball is seaming around and they lose toss.It is best to protect your best player for first ten overs against that unplayable ball.

Share this post


Link to post

@putrevus 

 

So he has no confidence in kohli playing swing ? Is there any batsman more capable than kohli Indian odi setup to handle swing ?  

 

Yes, maybe Rayudu, or someone else, could bat at number three, and Kohli comes in at number four. We wouldn't want to disturb the opening combination. Separating the top-three could make the batting stronger.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, gattaca said:

@putrevus 

 

So he has no confidence in kohli playing swing ? Is there any batsman more capable than kohli Indian odi setup to handle swing ?  

 

Yes, maybe Rayudu, or someone else, could bat at number three, and Kohli comes in at number four. We wouldn't want to disturb the opening combination. Separating the top-three could make the batting stronger.

World cup finals or knockout matches is not the place to test egos. It is all about getting the best out of the situation. White ball will stop swinging after 10 overs.If they want to protect Kohli against that unplayable ball in first ten overs then what is wrong with it.

 

It has got nothing to do with confidence in Kohli.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, putrevus said:

World cup finals or knockout matches is not the place to test egos. It is all about getting the best out of the situation. White ball will stop swinging after 10 overs.If they want to protect Kohli against that unplayable ball in first ten overs then what is wrong with it.

 

It has got nothing to do with confidence in Kohli.

So rayudu or dhoni are better adapt at swing. Now if we loose them it will be still 3 down and kohli to come to bat. I don’t understand this logic at all. I don’t think anyone in this line up is better player of swing than kohli. If they are sending someone else to bat we will be in more bad situation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Austin 3:!6 said:

I think it's a good move and something I have advocated for a long time. People here saying that it will be a negative approach etc. need to understand it's for team benefit. Do you want another CT final like situation with top 3 back in pavillion within 10 overs? With Kohli coming at 4, there is extra cushion. Ofcourse this should only be the case when we are chasing big totals. Kohli always bats at 3 when we are batting first.

 

But to have this approach (I.e Kohli at 4) meaning need to drop Rayudu and play with 3 openers (Shaw/Rahul). There is no point with Kohli batting at 4 with Rayudu and Dhoni to come...that don't serve purpose. It should be Dhawan-Rohit-Shaw-Kohli.

Why just CT final, remember 2015 WC semi final when all 3 went in quick succession or the first ODI vs Aus last month? Kohli isn't that great against movement, that's a fact so we need someone who can counter the new ball swing or movement. If we can keep at least one of the top 3 till the end overs, we will win more matches than we lose.

Edited by R!TTER

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, gattaca said:

So rayudu or dhoni are better adapt at swing. Now if we loose them it will be still 3 down and kohli to come to bat. I don’t understand this logic at all. I don’t think anyone in this line up is better player of swing than kohli. If they are sending someone else to bat we will be in more bad situation. 

They are not but it is the same theory of night watchman. They are not sent in ahead of main batsmen because they are better but it is just to protect the main batsmen.

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

I would like to talk about two players here, because earlier you mentioned x-factor. First is Hardik Pandya, who brings a vital balance to the Indian ODI team. He has missed out on a lot of cricket recently, first due to injury and then due to suspension.

 

 

He is a match winner. As a coach, I was just happy to see him back as soon as possible after the suspension was lifted. The whole team was happy to see him back rather than farting around in India and waiting for things to happen. I am glad things were fast tracked and he is back where he belongs on the cricket field.

I have told him brush it off (the repercussions following his comments on the chat show 'Koffee with Karan'). Consider it a rap on the knuckles, a hard rap on the knuckles, and now move on. I have told him, 'You are born for better stuff'.

 

Yea mon :cool:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Make Jharkhandi come in at no 3. The bessht tailunt against phasst moving bowl. :bow:

 

Radudu useless Dudu at any position. Make him the water boy Dudu! :giggle:

Edited by Audiophile

Share this post


Link to post

So according to Shastri certified hecks Dhawan,Rohit can play swing better than a person who has scored runs in every corner of the world:no:.virat is best player  of fast bowling in this batting line up and Pujara   For spin 

Share this post


Link to post

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Guest, sign in to access all features.

×