How to drive in england -Tendulkar at his peak.

Tendulkar for me is the batsman who played the most difficult of shots perhaps in the history of cricket.To be more precise,  for his body frame, there were certain shots that were virtually unplayable for ordinary batsmen, for instance the back foot punch of good length deliveries  of fast bowlers.A much taller batsman would have played these shots because of the advantage of height, but other ordinary batsmen of Sachin's same height can never play those type of shots to perfection.That was the greatness of this man.

Edited by rtmohanlal

Again the back injury nonsense? 

He was classy no doubt, technique in its purest form. 

Have you ever seen a better player?I have not.

More effective player? Quality of batsmanship? Lara of 90s, Ponting/Dravid of 2002-06, peak Kallis, peak Sanga, peak KP, peak ABDV etc were serious quality too....can't say for sure 90s Sachin trumped them all. Even if his quality was higher, he choked far too often to make a big difference. Smith and Kohli are in the middle of their phenomenal run, they have the potential to further enhance their standing.

And please, 90s England had a **** bowling attack, when English bowlers were at their best (2009-12) we all know which Indians played them the best. 

There is a difference between on the up drives against Chris Lewis/Cork/Ealham and doing the same against Anderson/Broad. Just like there is a difference between a visiting batsman trumping against Shastri/Maninder/Arshad Ayub compared to Ashwin/Jadeja/Kuldeep, 70s quartet or Kumble/Chuckbhajan. 

Edited by Gollum
29 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Again the back injury nonsense? 

He was classy no doubt, technique in its purest form. 

More effective player? Quality of batsmanship? Lara of 90s, Ponting/Dravid of 2002-06, peak Kallis, peak Sanga, peak KP, peak ABDV etc were serious quality too....can't say for sure 90s Sachin trumped them all. Even if his quality was higher, he choked far too often to make a big difference. Smith and Kohli are in the middle of their phenomenal run, they have the potential to further enhance their standing.

And please, 90s England had a **** bowling attack, when English bowlers were at their best (2009-12) we all know which Indians played them the best. 

There is a difference between on the up drives against Chris Lewis/Cork/Ealham and doing the same against Anderson/Broad. Just like there is a difference between a visiting batsman trumping against Shastri/Maninder/Arshad Ayub compared to Ashwin/Jadeja/Kuldeep, 70s quartet or Kumble/Chuckbhajan. 

Yes the backinjury of 1999 cut down on his lofted shotmaking.This was an example ,if you are talking about quality of bowling attack 116 at the mcg in 1999 was the best i think.Against lee,fleming,mcgrath and warne.

6 hours ago, rtmohanlal said:

Tendulkar for me is the batsman who played the most difficult of shots perhaps in the history of cricket.To be more precise,  for his body frame, there were certain shots that were virtually unplayable for ordinary batsmen, for instance the back foot punch of good length deliveries  of fast bowlers.A much taller batsman would have played these shots because of the advantage of height, but other ordinary batsmen of Sachin's same height can never play those type of shots to perfection.That was the greatness of this man.

Out of all the shots, the slice upper cut that he created for South african fast bowlers, I think during 98-99 tour or sometime was the most amazing shot I saw. It totally bamboozled the SA quickies. 

Still remember the one straight drive that he played against Donald in the Diana memorial match. The only time Donald clapped for a batsman off his own bowling, instead of abusing which he was more known for.

People just dont know the class Tendulkar was.

Lewis, Cork, Ealham, Mulally, Patel- was that the most pedestrian English attacks of last 25-30 years ?

@op this may be about England but Sachin's 100 at Cape Town 1997 had better drives, still cant forget that cover drive of Donald, that was perfection 

3 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

Out of all the shots, the slice upper cut that he created for South african fast bowlers, I think during 98-99 tour or sometime was the most amazing shot I saw. It totally bamboozled the SA quickies. 

Still remember the one straight drive that he played against Donald in the Diana memorial match. The only time Donald clapped for a batsman off his own bowling, instead of abusing which he was more known for.

People just dont know the class Tendulkar was.

Incredible treatment of mcgrath and donald.

3 hours ago, SK_IH said:

Lewis, Cork, Ealham, Mulally, Patel- was that the most pedestrian English attacks of last 25-30 years ?

@op this may be about England but Sachin's 100 at Cape Town 1997 had better drives, still cant forget that cover drive of Donald, that was perfection 

10:58 thats the cover drive.Just savage.Donald looking helpless throughout the innings,hit on both sides of the wicket with impunity.

12 hours ago, MechEng said:

That 177 reminds me of Virat Kohli's offside strokes in 2014 Aus tour. The biggest difference being that Kohli never played any shots on backfoot.

That is a big difference. Kohli, albeit a great batsman, does not have the skill or the confidence to punch off the back foot through the covers. That I think was Tendulkar’s extra capability.