How to drive in england -Tendulkar at his peak.

8 hours ago, Gollum said:

Again the back injury nonsense? 

He was classy no doubt, technique in its purest form. 

More effective player? Quality of batsmanship? Lara of 90s, Ponting/Dravid of 2002-06, peak Kallis, peak Sanga, peak KP, peak ABDV etc were serious quality too....can't say for sure 90s Sachin trumped them all. Even if his quality was higher, he choked far too often to make a big difference. Smith and Kohli are in the middle of their phenomenal run, they have the potential to further enhance their standing.

And please, 90s England had a **** bowling attack, when English bowlers were at their best (2009-12) we all know which Indians played them the best. 

There is a difference between on the up drives against Chris Lewis/Cork/Ealham and doing the same against Anderson/Broad. Just like there is a difference between a visiting batsman trumping against Shastri/Maninder/Arshad Ayub compared to Ashwin/Jadeja/Kuldeep, 70s quartet or Kumble/Chuckbhajan. 

Rahane smacked Starc and Harris and Babar Azam smacked Steyn. Azam>Rahane> Tendulkar

13 hours ago, MechEng said:

That 177 reminds me of Virat Kohli's offside strokes in 2014 Aus tour. The biggest difference being that Kohli never played any shots on backfoot.

Kohli DOES NOT HAVE an adequate backfoot game. He gets out to spinners because of this mainly. IMO of whatever I've seen of him he tends to play mostly of the front foot.

1 hour ago, Audiophile said:

That is a big difference. Kohli, albeit a great batsman, does not have the skill or the confidence to punch off the back foot through the covers. That I think was Tendulkar’s extra capability. 

Tendulkar was punching off the backfoot on English pitches which are soft in nature as opposed to hard bouncy tracks, that is very high level skill. He came from the traditional Bombay school of batting where playing the ball as late as possible was encouraged, which is why his backfoot game was so good.

I also remember Tendulkar playing a backfoot square drive off a fuller length ball from Kasprowicz on low bounce Sharjah pitch which went for four, commentators could not believe how he played a backfoot shot on a slow pitch like that.

1 hour ago, Audiophile said:

That is a big difference. Kohli, albeit a great batsman, does not have the skill or the confidence to punch off the back foot through the covers. That I think was Tendulkar’s extra capability. 

One among many.  But the one thing Virat has, that Tendulkar lacked, is his supreme will.  Virat is a wolf, once he sinks his teeth into it, he just refuses to give it away - he may not have the optimal technique, but he's going to sink his teeth in and just refuse to let go.  Somehow, Tendulkar wasn't able to do that more often.  A neglected aspect of this, is the fact that Virat has been luckier than Tendulkar when in his batting prime.  Tendulkar played extraordinarily few number of tests in the 95-2000 timeframe.  

10 minutes ago, Stan AF said:

Kohli DOES NOT HAVE an adequate backfoot game. He gets out to spinners because of this mainly. IMO of whatever I've seen of him he tends to play mostly of the front foot.

It's modern day cricket. Backfoot game has almost become extinct since the T20 generation. The last time I saw strong backfoot game was Dravid vs Swann in 2011 UK tour.

14 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Peak Sachin of 90s was exceptional in England against Lewis, Cork, Ealham, Mullally, Irani. Always wonder why he never tried those scintillating back foot punches and majestic cover drives against McGrath in the 1999 WC encounter, a win there and we could have qualified to the semis.

In Tests, when both McGrath and Warne were in the playing 11:

View overall figures [change view]
Primary team India remove India from query
Opposition team Australia remove Australia from query
Involving all of the players GD McGrath (AUS) remove GD McGrath (AUS) from query or SK Warne (AUS) remove SK Warne (AUS) from query
Qualifications runs scored greater than or equal to 200 remove runs scored greater than or equal to 200 from query
Ordered by batting average (descending)
Page 1 of 1 Showing 1 - 6 of 6   First pageFirst Previous pagePrevious Next Next page Last Last page dblBakArwB.gifReturn to query menu
dblBakArwW.gifCleared query menu
Overall figures
Player Span Mat Inns NO Runs HS AveDescending BF SR 100 50 0 4s 6s  
V Sehwag 2004-2004 3 6 1 286 155 57.20 409 69.92 1 1 1 42 0 investigate this query
VVS Laxman 1999-2004 9 17 0 777 281 45.70 1272 61.08 2 3 1 125 0 investigate this query
SR Tendulkar 1999-2004 7 14 0 592 126 42.28 1067 55.48 2 4 1 76 3 investigate this query
R Dravid 1999-2004 9 17 0 540 180 31.76 1597 33.81 1 2 2 62 1 investigate this query
S Ramesh 1999-2001 5 10 1 222 61 24.66 475 46.73 0 1 1 25 0 investigate this query
SC Ganguly 1999-2004 8 15 0 342 60 22.80 750 45.60 0 1 0 43 0

@zen I remember reading a cricinfo or sportstar article that Sachin scored some 150 runs against McGarth in test cricket and got dismissed 6 times (H2H) making it an average of around 25. Not claiming for sure because I have a vague memory and can't dig the exact article, most probably an old sportstar edition. Suffice to say for those of us with eyes and absence of fanboyism he struggled for large parts in both formats against the legendary pacer.

Bolded that bit otherwise some chanchal baalak will come up with his 90 odd from 1996 WC, MCG 100 or the Nairobi match to counter me. 

I dedicate the below segment to hardcore Sachin followers on ICF, to show them who the real master was. Let them see the light :pray2:

Edited by Gollum

Never seen a complete batsman than SRT. 

He could play every shot out there. He would get out playing same shots but than those mastery skills will help him bring loads of runs playing the same shot which half of the cricketing world did not even try because they knew they could not "pull it off" and it wasn't worth it for them. 

This is what you call a risk taker. What we see today, the expansive and newly inventive shots which yield quick 20 runs in T20 cricket is just piece of what Tendulkar used to do in Test Cricket over and over playing nasty deliveries and converting them into runs, also ensuring bowlers are tired and change their plans. 

Real batsmanship could and can only be seen in test cricket and Tendulkar defined that batsmanship. 

20 minutes ago, Gollum said:

@zen I remember reading a cricinfo or sportstar article that Sachin scored some 150 runs against McGarth in test cricket and got dismissed 6 times (H2H) making it an average of around 25. Not claiming for sure because I have a vague memory and can't dig the exact article, most probably an old sportstar edition. Suffice to say for those of us with eyes and absence of fanboyism he struggled for large parts in both formats against the legendary pacer.

Bolded that bit otherwise some chanchal baalak will come up with his 90 odd from 1996 WC, MCG 100 or the Nairobi match to counter me. 

I dedicate the below segment to hardcore Sachin followers on ICF, to show them who the real master was. Let them see the light :pray2:

FYI, 

image.png.0fe841ec80b408b135e97219c7515561.png

^ That includes Aus attack with both McGrath + Warne, SA attack with both Donald + Pollock, and SL with Murali (bowlers who started out in 90s and the basket containing the respective pairs + Murali .... 3 quality pace bowlers + 2 quality spinners)