A R Rahman"s daughter's burqa on stage causes controversy

Texy

28 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Hindus ka kaunsa aisa tradition hai similar to Burka which you want to stop? 

Women in town in UP,haryana,rajasthan are often seen with a ghoonghat covering the entire face  even in crowded market place. It is such a safety issue for them and other driving on the road because the saree or the duppatta does not even have an 'eye slot ' to see what os ahead. They walk around like blindfolded sheep.

Just google ' women in ghoonghat '.

Edited by beetle

9 minutes ago, beetle said:

Being brainwashed is not really a choice.

Being a part of an environment which makes you ashamed of your body in the name of religion or respect of elders/ men or whatever is rarely a matter of choice. Here the bondage very often is in the brain .

In cases where the person covers up and calls it choice is similar to a form of skockholm syndrome where the victim is looking for the approval of the oppressors, often her own family,her father ,her brother ,her mother ,her society who make her feel like a good person if she follows their views.

Whether it is in the form of a veil, burkha ,ghunghat or even mandatory pallu on the head ,it is all the same.

AR Rahman may be a brilliant musician,but he  is also an oppressor for giving an environment to his kids where one is made ashamed of their own body.

He being a muslim ,will get away with it because of the hypocricy of the media.

He is another backward thinking person and an abusive parent who has taught his daughters to follow his views and call it a choice.

Self harming is also an individual choice.

If any renowned person had appeared on stage with his daughter in a ghoonghat covering her face...the media would be all over that person calling him a jaahil gawaar...but since AR is minority it is a personal choice.

I agree with the gist of your post but it could also be argued that she did choose this lifestyle and it wasn't imposed upon her since her sisters as showed in the pic are seen without a veil.

Maybe it was a choice a after all?

1 minute ago, Stradlater said:

I agree with the gist of your post but it could also be argued that she did choose this lifestyle and it wasn't imposed upon her since her sisters as showed in the pic are seen without a veil.

Maybe it was a choice a after all?

It is far more complex than that.

It is similar to one child in the family being the good sanskari child who always listen to elders, never disobeys,never tries to disagree with their views no matter how regressive the views .

The reward is the title of the ' good son ' by the parents and family ....while the other children get to be the kids who do their  own thing,live a normal life without the burden of being the chosen ones.

12 minutes ago, beetle said:

It is far more complex than that.

It is similar to one child in the family being the good sanskari child who always listen to elders, never disobeys,never tries to disagree with their views no matter how regressive the views .

The reward is the title of the ' good son ' by the parents and family ....while the other children get to be the kids who do their  own thing,live a normal life without the burden of being the chosen ones.

While Burqa is definitely hideous and ugly but how is it regressive?

Doesn't the whole premise of modern , progressive society rests on the notion of freedom of expression and right to life?

Maybe she really wants to wear it after all.

Im afraid your post makes way too many generalizations.

Mind you I'm not supporting this whole concept of parading on a street while wearing this tent house but shouldn't the individual choice be taken into account too as long as it's not a threat to the society in any way?

39 minutes ago, beetle said:

Women in town in UP,haryana,rajasthan are often seen with a ghoonghat covering the entire face  even in crowded market place. It is such a safety issue for them and other driving on the road because the saree or the duppatta does not even have an 'eye slot ' to see what os ahead. They walk around like blindfolded sheep.

Just google ' women in ghoonghat '.

Beetle ji Ye zyada ho gaya. I come from a village as well and while ladies do use Ghoonghat in the households , they don't take it to the extreme levels you are talking about. Certainly not to the extent of blinding themselves while sitting on a bike.

24 minutes ago, Stradlater said:

While Burqa is definitely hideous and ugly but how is it regressive?

What is the reasoning behind the concept of the burqa ?

1) Apparently....first reason is to keep oneself  safe from the  eyes of other men ( with bad intention ,I presume )

This puts the burden of safety on woman instead of the men to behave. It also equates women to meat . It also encourages victim blaming and puts the onus of safety on the victim rather than abusers and society.

2) The assumption that the body of the woman belongs to her husband / man and only he has a right to see it ...so much so that the woman does not have a right to even show her hair ,her face.

Imagine a life where you cannot feel the wind on your face or hair.

This reduces a woman from a human with a functioning brain to a domestic animal.

These two reasons are enough to make the burqa ( or other forms)an opressive instrument.

It is a walking prison .

All this talk of choice does not seem logical in an environment which supports the oppression.

Edited by beetle

11 minutes ago, Stradlater said:

Beetle ji Ye zyada ho gaya. I come from a village as well and while ladies do use Ghoonghat in the households , they don't take it to the extreme levels you are talking about. Certainly not to the extent of blinding themselves while sitting on a bike.

Try walking around with your face covered completely with a duppata for a day  . Try balancing two kids on the backseat of a bike while trying to keep the ghoonghat in place.

Just because they do it or are expected to do it does not make it less oppressive.

Waisay ,can you tell me why women need to cover their faces or head in their homes too?

Ghar ke mardon se bhi bachana padta hai kya?Unke samne to free feel kar sakte hain?

Don't tell me it is for respect because then I will ask,why the men don't have to cover up to show respect to elders.

Mandir mein to sab cover kartein hain to show respect to God....phir why not at home?

Edited by beetle

This guy was a Hindu convert to Islam, only thing that bugs me :facepalm:

But I won't judge this pic too harshly. The wife and another daughter aren't in ninja suit, so don't think ARR is forcing them. Maybe the girl Khatija is going through a rebellious teenage phase where she wants to stand out from the crowd or go against the flow. I mean all of us have gone through that stage in our lives which if you reminisce about now will have plenty of embarrassing moments, teenagers are difficult !!!! ARR's close sister Reihana is married to a Hindu and follows Hindu customs and traditions still, even their son (GV Prakash) had a Hindu wedding recently with yajna and all that tradition with Mr and Mrs Rahman in attendance....so don't think they are that extreme or inflexible. 

Edited by Gollum

9 hours ago, Under_Score said:

May be she's trying to be a Ninja :winky: 

On a serious note...in this day & age, it does draw negative attention as in the case mentioned below

1z70co4.jpg

Aankhon Se Tune, Yeh Kya Keh Diya 
Dil Ye Deewana, Dhadakne Laga 
Tanhai Mein Hum, Mile Is Tarah 
Baarish Mein Shola, Bhadak Ne Laga

:dancing:

Edited by Laaloo