Was Dhoni's IPL form last year just a mirage?

We all know Dhoni has been absolute garbage since 2015 now barring one innings vs England and a knock here and there. Looking back it is amazing that he somehow managed to turn back the clock in the IPL last year. I am puzzled as to how that happened - for that one series it looked like prime Dhoni was back and then he reverted to type post IPL, the misleading Aus ODI series notwithstanding.

1 hour ago, Sandeep99 said:

Make no mistake, Dhoni is still good at IPL level. International cricket is played at a different level though. One can't equate batting against the likes of Unadkat, Dinda, etc with batting against Boult, Lockie, etc.

That doesn't fully explain it though. For one, IPL also usually has 1 or 2 decent bowlers and international teams have a useless bowler or 2 especially in T20I. 

1 hour ago, velu said:

dhonis percentage cricket will work really well in IPL ..

ever team has got 2/3 weak bowlers to target

In T20I (outside of World T20), it is the same...except our neighbours poyz who play full strength T20I teams, every team usually rests 2-3 main players...see the SA attack that we played last year for example and compare it to some of the IPL attacks.

Why only last year? He was ALWAYS a pathetic T20I batsman as there are hardly any lolls pop bowlers in int’l cricket.

Compare his IPL recordto his T20I record

IPL - 175 matches,158 innings, 58 not outs, 4016 runs@40, SR 138, 20 50s, 186 6s

T20I - 95 matches, 82 innings, 41 not outs, 1527 runs@38, SR 127, 2 50s, 48 6s

Note the % of not outs in IPL vs T20Is. At CSK, he plays for the team, tries to hit more 6s, takes more risks getting out in the process. For India, he plays for his average in the name of risk free cricket (like today)

14 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Why only last year? He was ALWAYS a pathetic T20I batsman as there are hardly any lolls pop bowlers in int’l cricket.

Compare his IPL recordto his T20I record

IPL - 175 matches,158 innings, 58 not outs, 4016 runs@40, SR 138, 20 50s, 186 6s

T20I - 95 matches, 82 innings, 41 not outs, 1527 runs@38, SR 127, 2 50s, 48 6s

Note the % of not outs in IPL vs T20Is. At CSK, he plays for the team, tries to hit more 6s, takes more risks getting out in the process. For India, he plays for his average in the name of risk free cricket (like today)

:csk: team is full of winning mentality players .. even if dhoni fails , others will save the team

not the case with indian team .. he needs to play responsibly 

4 hours ago, Sandeep99 said:

Make no mistake, Dhoni is still good at IPL level. International cricket is played at a different level though. One can't equate batting against the likes of Unadkat, Dinda, etc with batting against Boult, Lockie, etc.

Boult too plays IPL and gets thrashed.

He wont find so many kachda bowlers in intl t20 sides as compared to IPL where teams chop and change the combination and many time play rubbish ARs. 

Also it's not true that he's that great in IPL ,even in IPL I've seen him struggle plenty of times against good bowlers (case in point against MI he was hiding against Johnson and malinga lol) ,only the point is that he can launch an assault on plenty of lesser bowlers in IPL