Happy Birthday Glenn McGrath

Nikola

2 minutes ago, Gambit said:

Break this down to a one on one contest.

Tendulkar hammered McGrath in 1996 WC, 2000 CT and 2003 WC group game - yes where he took him for 14 an over before Dravid killed momentum with a 1 (23).

McGrath owned Tendulkar in 1999 WC, 2003 final and 2006 CT.

You missed one important detail. We lost every game apart from the 2000 CT where Yuvi scored 80+ and we fielded brilliantly.

His ability to rise to the occasion and make the best of the best appear helpless is something no other bowler can claim. His resume is as complete as it gets, played a big role in winning series everywhere (incl 2004 India), WC performance, Ashes (marquee rivalry), measure over all the ATG batsmen of his era.....

I am sure that given a large sample size he would have emerged triumphant over every ATG batsman in the history of the sport...Sobers, Viv, Gavaskar, Border, Chappell, Crowe... literally everyone. His dry, monotonous, patient style was not everyone's cup of tea but damn effective, it is what Peter Roebuck would call- 'like a dentist with a drill'. Ultimate battle of attrition, only equivalents I can find are Nadal on slow, high bouncing clay (Philippe Chatrier) and Carslen in chess. No wonder beating these 3 extraordinary humans in their fields is the pinnacle of their respective disciplines. Their similar playing template is so simple and yet so difficult to best :adore:

PS- McGrath vs Kohli would have been fun, keh ke leta uski...that 4th/5th stump weakness and McGrath on top of his mark with a 5 man Oz slip+gully cordon, what a bloodbath it would have been. Everyone would eventually meet the same fate but watching Pigeon destroy the brat's ego would have been :eating:

This is post retirement Pigeon against Warner fresh from his 40 ball 90 against RSA

10 minutes ago, Gambit said:

Tendulkar hammered McGrath in 1996 WC, 2000 CT and 2003 WC group game - yes where he took him for 14 an over before Dravid killed momentum with a 1 (23).

Clutching at straws there mate. 2003 WC group game, come on !!!!

SCORECARD

3 minutes ago, Gambit said:

96 WC skipped my mind, McGrath must have been hammered there, I didn't watch that live.

But surely you can't say Sachin hammered McGrath based on 1over in Centurion :dontknow:

8 minutes ago, Gollum said:

His ability to rise to the occasion and make the best of the best appear helpless is something no other bowler can claim. His resume is as complete as it gets, played a big role in winning series everywhere (incl 2004 India), WC performance, Ashes (marquee rivalry), measure over all the ATG batsmen of his era.....

I am sure that given a large sample size he would have emerged triumphant over every ATG batsman in the history of the sport...Sobers, Viv, Gavaskar, Border, Chappell, Crowe... literally everyone. His dry, monotonous, patient style was not everyone's cup of tea but damn effective, it is what Peter Roebuck would call- 'like a dentist with a drill'. Ultimate battle of attrition, only equivalents I can find are Nadal on slow, high bouncing clay (Philippe Chatrier) and Carslen in chess. No wonder beating these 3 extraordinary humans in their fields is the pinnacle of their respective disciplines. Their similar playing template is so simple and yet so difficult to best :adore:

PS- McGrath vs Kohli would have been fun, keh ke leta uski...that 4th/5th stump weakness and McGrath on top of his mark with a 5 man Oz slip+gully cordon, what a bloodbath it would have been. Everyone would eventually meet the same fate but watching Pigeon destroy the brat's ego would have been :eating:

This is post retirement Pigeon against Warner fresh from his 40 ball 90 against RSA

Not sure about these guys though. Kohli, Root, Willaimson and Smith would be toast though.

Closest to the ideal bowler one could create using Robotics and ML.

His biggest weapon was his immense control and intensity throughout the innings. 

Though I would take Wasim and Ambrose in my team over him, too mechanical for my liking.

Regarding battles in big game vs Sachin he got better when he had scoreboard pressure in 99 and 2003. 

In 1996 world cup( moderate total) and 2000 CT Sachin dominated him.

Regarding bi-trilateral ODIs McGrath was better in Australia and Sachin dominated him in India 2001.

Edited by Number
18 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Sachin scored 36(59), Mcgrath 1/23 in 8 overs (3 maidens)..India A.O 125, what a hammering based on 1 over !!!!

Agree. I was giving some one on one context that when the game started McGrath got taken for 14 runs by Tendulkar and things were looking good until Dravid batted inexplicably.

9 minutes ago, Gambit said:

Agree. I was giving some one on one context that when the game started McGrath got taken for 14 runs by Tendulkar and things were looking good until Dravid batted inexplicably.

Sachin could not have taken those 14 runs off of Mcgrath when Dravid was at the other end. It was after Sehwag got out that Dravid came in and batted cautiously

Untitled.png

2 hours ago, Gollum said:

And LOL at Sachin forgetting about his masters (McGrath, Anderson, Murali, Pollock, FD Villiers  ...) and picking Cronje as the toughest bowler he faced. Besharmi ki bhi hadd hoti hai yaar. How petty can a person get to downplay his lifelong nemesis? It will be like Anand calling Nakamura his toughest opponent and not Kasparov, or Federer rating Kuerten as a tougher rival than Djokodal. 

Sachin neither disses an opposition player nor praises his rivals. 

yes, he is miserly with praise. He hardly said anything memorable about Lara, McGrath, Waugh, Warne etc... whereas all his era bowlers like Donald, Ambrose, McGrath, Warne, Murali heaped massive praises on him. Later, when they realised that he doesnt play the "reciprocation game" they shifted their viewpoints about their favourite batsmen too. At one point of time, Warne said that Sachin is the greatest but recently he said that it was actually Lara. 

Lara once said that he would like his son to grow up and become Sachin. This is a massive praise coming from a guy who was accused of superiority complex by his own teammates. Whereas when Sachin was asked to say something about Lara he just said that "Lara was probably one of the best batsmen in my era", which is more like stating a fact than a genuine heartfelt praise.

Kallis is another guy who hardly praises others. A bit like Sachin. You cannot really find fault with Sachin or Kallis because they are not bitter people. They are too alpha for their own good. Dont give a S**t about other's opinion kind of guys.

Edited by Temujin Khaghan
18 minutes ago, Temujin Khaghan said:

Kallis is another guy who hardly praises others. A bit like Sachin. You cannot really find fault with Sachin or Kallis because they are not bitter people. They are too alpha for their own good. Dont give a S**t about other's opinion kind of guys.

sachin is more like think twice before speaking a word kind of guy .. sachin hardly said anything about mi and mipaltan as well ..