New generation indian kids are not that crazy about cricket?

gakgupta

2 hours ago, gakgupta said:

Well...

This is what I am seeing.

When I was a kid, kids used to get crazy about cricket. But now, I feel kids are not that crazy. Is this just in Hyderabad or everywhere else?

My son likes kabbadi....I have seen few of my cousin kids like football..

Seem like in next 10 years there will be lot of change in indian sports in terms of interest...

Btw, how successfully is ISL, pro kabbadi and other leagues of India?

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Tapatalk

Not sure about that. Even i liked a football a lot when i was a kid. Then i switched to cricket. I have played Kabaddi. But that is definitely not my most favorite sport.

11 minutes ago, maniac said:

You know that’s not the “point”’of having a silly point right?

I do know. Who was the first one to start it? Maybe long time back but now these balls are flying and it is nothing but silly.But that does leave a fielder in a vulnerable position.

10 minutes ago, Khota said:

I do know. Who was the first one to start it? Maybe long time back but now these balls are flying and it is nothing but silly.But that does leave a fielder in a vulnerable position.

No one has silly point in a T20 game or even in ODIs. It is usually when the ball is turning or the batsman is trying to fend short pitch bowling on a juicy track. If some one has a silly point on a 200 run t20 pitch sure you can call that stupid but don’t ever recollect that happening ever.

2 minutes ago, maniac said:

No one has silly point in a T20 game or even in ODIs. It is usually when the ball is turning or the batsman is trying to fend short pitch bowling on a juicy track. If some one has a silly point on a 200 run t20 pitch sure you can call that stupid but don’t ever recollect that happening ever.

Even in test when I have seen it if a batsman shows some intent the fielder is dead meat. I understand it does help in close in catching but what if the batsman heaves at it. It is more of a suicide point than silly.

Few months back i was driving though western UP and saw so many young boys running on highway. These boys were in proper running gear much like you see in US schools. They were toned and it was evident they were training. Then i watches a bit of khalo india which made sense. For those who saw khelo india might have noticws how u17 boys were quicker than u19. Its fantastic for india and we will see results in coming years.

But more kids are playing proper cricket (with cricket kits in academies)
Because parents see that as a stable career with IPL coming in the picture. One of my cousins tried to pursue cricket as a career but his body couldn't handle the workload and he had to return home.

Sent from my SM-G611F using Tapatalk

Badminton has become a lot popular after saina & sindhu's emergence , Boxing could've seen a boom after Vijender's success but looks like that's on hold now. A lot of youngsters here watch Football , even those who don't know names of all the players of their favourite team :phehe: .. 
When you said here....which place you are referring to??

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Tapatalk

It's a global trend with sport. I was in Italy a few months ago. Italians in their late 20s, 30s and above were complaining that the young kids are just not into soccer like previous generations. 

People just have more entertainment options now. 

Edited by kosingh
8 hours ago, prasen82 said:

The biggest reason has to be lack of space. Earlier in flats there were not many cars or vehicles or children can play in roads. Today how many children can play like that. 

Besides too many paraphernalia required for cricket. Add to the fact that hard ball is dangerous . I just stopped practicing with hard ball once my finger nail ruptured as a kid..And parents will also be loathe to allow kids to play with hard ball.

For small town kids it's a way to achieve dreams, bigger city kids have more options and probably are content playing for 1 hour and watching it on television. 

Cricket has huge challenges going forward .  For me personally, I find other sports to be more relevant than cricket. It's one dimensional and very rarely thrilling. 

This^

When I was a kid and family would travel to India, I would play cricket on the road with the neighbours.

Back then they loved the novelty of having an "Australian fast bowler" play against the locals.

Fast forward to 2019, those roads and side roads are full of traffic. Its impossible to play unless you go to an oval. Its sad because I have fond memories of playing against the locals and how much they relished for an overseas bowler to play against them.

6 hours ago, kosingh said:

It's a global trend with sport. I was in Italy a few months ago. Italians in their late 20s, 30s and above were complaining that the young kids are just not into soccer like previous generations. 

People just have more entertainment options now. 

I think smart phones and internet has changed the mindset of kids....not just india but everywhere and not just cricket but every sport.

Attention span has decreased multi-fold