New generation indian kids are not that crazy about cricket?

gakgupta

Well...

This is what I am seeing.

When I was a kid, kids used to get crazy about cricket. But now, I feel kids are not that crazy. Is this just in Hyderabad or everywhere else?

My son likes kabbadi....I have seen few of my cousin kids like football..

Seem like in next 10 years there will be lot of change in indian sports in terms of interest...

Btw, how successfully is ISL, pro kabbadi and other leagues of India?

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Tapatalk

Kabaddi has grown leaps and bound. Has become the 2nd most famous sport in India after cricket. All because of the league and its marketing and investment. And add to that India is the king of kabaddi even though very few teams play kabaddi. Pro Kabaddi also have a grass roots programme called kbd juniors where schools from all the city teams compete for becoming the national school champions. The tournament is live telecasted when there is off day for senior players.

Isl has raised the level of football and subsequently ranking from 120s to 90s but it needs a breakthrough moment like wc 1983. Could have happened this afc asia cup If the team didn't choke in ending moments.

Basically any sports need 2 things. Good marketing and investment and national team doing well.

Cricket and Kabaddi is the first choice for boys and girls go for Badminton for obvious reasons.
Even in my school there was a kabaddi tournament for boys and badminton tournament for girls last month.

Can't say much about other sports but the Khelo India School Games and it's like telecast on star is surely a good step to grow other games.

Sent from my SM-G611F using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, sscomp32 said:

Kabaddi has grown leaps and bound. Has become the 2nd most famous sport in India after cricket. All because of the league and its marketing and investment. And add to that India is the king of kabaddi even though very few teams play kabaddi. Pro Kabaddi also have a grass roots programme called kbd juniors where schools from all the city teams compete for becoming the national school champions. The tournament is live telecasted when there is off day for senior players.

Isl has raised the level of football and subsequently ranking from 120s to 90s but it needs a breakthrough moment like wc 1983. Could have happened this afc asia cup If the team didn't choke in ending moments.

Basically any sports need 2 things. Good marketing and investment and national team doing well.

Cricket and Kabaddi is the first choice for boys and girls go for Badminton for obvious reasons.
Even in my school there was a kabaddi tournament for boys and badminton tournament for girls last month.

Can't say much about other sports but the Khelo India School Games and it's like telecast on star is surely a good step to grow other games.

See I told you when I made thread on khelo India games on icf that this going to improve sports at grass root level big time. This is the thread I made by the way 

Nice post...

How are these leagues performing?? ISL, batminton league, pro volleyball etc...

Are they making profits?

Btw, are there any training institutes for kabbadi in Hyderabad?

Very few percentile of Indian kids played proper cricket in 1970's. Even today there are less kids playing proper cricket. By proper cricket i mean a proper 20,30,40,50  over or multi-day match with proper cricket rules, on a cricket wicket, with a hard cricket ball.

The reaons kids do not play proper cricket:

(1)Most kids are afraid of the hard ball.

(2)The other reason is the kids are not so much attracted to the game of cricket and hence we see almsot everyone play with rubber or tennis ball and are not enough crazy to paly with ahrd ball proper cricket.

(3)The 50 overs matches need lot of stamina and fitness. Boys generally prefer 8 or 10 overs matches at most apart from the ones who are fit and have stamina.

(4)Proper cricket nets start early at 5:30 a.m. or 6 a.m. Not everyone is crazy about this game to give up sleep and go to play.

(5)There are some who do not like to play in heat for so long in the day.

(6)Some kids are just interested in studies and hardly play sports.

Kabbadi is a pure Indian sport and should be a matter of pride for all Indians. I love Kabbadi as this is the only physical contact sport India has. I am happy to see it getting popular.

I think in the long run India needs to make football as number 1 sport. As long as India can move into 25-50 ranking it is fine with me.

Cricket as a a sport has not advanced any and the level of players who make it to cricket are just not athletic enough to compete in any other sport. Moreover cricket is a sport associated with affluence. The biggest con of cricket is that India is supporting all the countries in the world. That is a huge drain of Indian money.

Nice post...

How are these leagues performing?? ISL, batminton league, pro volleyball etc...

Are they making profits?

Btw, are there any training institutes for kabbadi in Hyderabad?

It's a school level sport. The school does all the training and preparations. The kabaddi team of hyderabad is named Telegu Titans. I am not sure how to go about it but you can search on net or contact school about it.

Kabaddi is making profits because it has become viral. Sky sports in UK telecasted it for 1 or 2 seasons. 16 nations played kabaddi World Cup.

Isl I don't know but football does have a fanbase because of European leagues and a lot of people watch indian football. But how are they doing it financially I don't know. Also its owned by Nita Ambani so that is in good hands for sure. They also run a young champs program and send kids to European tours.

And seeing these every sports wanting to capitalize.

The biggest reason has to be lack of space. Earlier in flats there were not many cars or vehicles or children can play in roads. Today how many children can play like that. 

Besides too many paraphernalia required for cricket. Add to the fact that hard ball is dangerous . I just stopped practicing with hard ball once my finger nail ruptured as a kid..And parents will also be loathe to allow kids to play with hard ball.

For small town kids it's a way to achieve dreams, bigger city kids have more options and probably are content playing for 1 hour and watching it on television. 

Cricket has huge challenges going forward .  For me personally, I find other sports to be more relevant than cricket. It's one dimensional and very rarely thrilling. 

Soccer,Badminton and Kabaddi have definitely seen a huge popularity rise recently. 

Infact I see a badminton academy now in every other gully in Andhra thanks to Gopichand and also the popularity of Saina,Sindhu,Srikanth,Jwala Gutta and Gopichand. People are actually playing this game.

Soccer fans in India are mostly posers. They follow the leagues and maybe like to wear the  jerseys to show off.That’s about it. This is only among the urban youth though.

Kabaddi is seeing a huge popularity surge in terms of TV viewership but again how many are taking it up ?

In  cosmopolitan  centers like Mumbai and Bangalore there are some rich kids who follow NBA as well. Bigger posers than the soccer types .

2 minutes ago, prasen82 said:

The biggest reason has to be lack of space. Earlier in flats there were not many cars or vehicles or children can play in roads. Today how many children can play like that. 

Besides too many paraphernalia required for cricket. Add to the fact that hard ball is dangerous . I just stopped practicing with hard ball once my finger nail ruptured as a kid..And parents will also be loathe to allow kids to play with hard ball.

For small town kids it's a way to achieve dreams, bigger city kids have more options and probably are content playing for 1 hour and watching it on television. 

Cricket has huge challenges going forward .  For me personally, I find other sports to be more relevant than cricket. It's one dimensional and very rarely thrilling. 

Hard ball has taken life of rare cricketers who were close-in fielders. Philip Hughes and Raman Lamba are two well known cricketers who died due to ball hitting them.

Indeed hard ball can be dangerous. I have seen my team mates bleed profusely through mouth as in some cases the lost few teeth. Ball hitting the legs was also very painful but that was part and parcel of the game. Got hit many number of times in three decades of my time in proper cricket. Bleeding was part and parcel of proper cricket. I wonder how many litres of blood i would have saved in 3 decades that i played cricket. Can't play proper cricket expecting not to feel the pain..

22 minutes ago, prasen82 said:

Cricket is technically the one of the best sports.It offers tremendous variety of challenges -spin,swing etc..Also very importantly its a skill game,not a physique game - a frail small man like gavaskar can be a legend of the game,only partly possible in football and absolutely impossible in basketball,rugby,wrestling..which is why common man can play it and hope without being a natural athelete.

Also cricket is the perfect blend of teamgame combined with individual play,here  one man can still win on occasion a match for his team  on his own but teamwork is still paramount.However the game still retains the element of 1 vs 1 gladiatorial combat on good surfaces .

City kids that 'follow' football would never have been sportsmen anyway - they follow it as a side timepass and passion along with their studies.Lets face it,football is mostly a physique/stamina game,otherwise countries like japan,china with superb financing would be world beaters by now.Also you can't really play football in tropical climates with same intensity for 90 minutes .Kabbadi is a fun sport for most,very few play it professionally and internationally.Wrestling and tennis are niche sports.Finally i like football,but thing is i never support a foreign 'club' with the same passion that i can with my national team .Indian national team is a big player in cricket,not in football and won't be in near future.I can't really be 'hala madrid' or viva barca with same passion that i do with indian cricket team.

Edited by Tendulkar1996
9 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

The altnernative is to play with rubber or tennis balls. There is an option for all types of people.

That is a more radical change. Silly point is nothing but silly. If a batsman hits a shot there is no way someone at silly point can stop it.

No other sport in the future will enjoy the Popularity that Cricket enjoyed from 90-2011 in India. Thanks to Internet and Social Media,  kids these days have even shorter attention span and are hardly as enthusiastic and passionate about Sports anymore like we were crazy for Cricket during the 90s.

Popularity of some Other sports has increased just like Women Cricket has become more popular than it was in the 90s. We do know about Harmanpreet,  Smriti now but nothing was known about the 90s women Cricketers,  doesn't mean that kids are more passionate about women's Cricket today.