Obscure and random cricket matches you remember.

maniac

Robin Singh hit 45 odd against Zimbabwe in a tri-series in SA in the late 90s. At one point it looked like the match was a lost cause but Robin didn't give up. He kept chipping away at the target, running hard to steal quick singles, converting singles into twos etc. He thrashed Eddo Brandes for a six and a 4, brought us to the doorstep of victory but his dumbo batting partner (don't remember who it was) got run out and screwed up the match, ending it in a tie. Robin had a habit of turning lost causes into wins. There was a match in Pakistan where Sachin got out, the rest followed him to the pavilion and the match was looking done and dusted. Again, Robin stepped up and steered the team towards victory. IIRC, it was the match in which Rajesh Chouhan thrashed Chuqlain Mushtaq for a six to seal the deal for us. On the field Robin was all heart, never gave up without a fight. Even the foul mouthed Steve Waugh had words of praise for him.

50 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

Sundeep tyagis debut against Australia that was cut short because of a bad pitch. And I don't think he ever played again. He looked promising. :((

sreesanth wreaking havoc on a rain shortened match against Australia. I think it was washed out 

It was against SL iirc,where the game was called off due to dangerous pitch behavior,2009

Probably this may not be obscure but anyone remember Ijaz Ahmed absolutely smashing our trundlers for a 100. He was hitting some mighty 6s just for fun.

Ijaz Ahmed prior to that was only famous for sticking his butt out and having a weird stance and never recollect him before or after that innings to ever play a brutal knock like that. He was always a sedate boring batsman.

Boy was he in the zone or what and our trundlers fed him nicely as well.

5 minutes ago, maniac said:

Probably this may not be obscure but anyone remember Ijaz Ahmed absolutely smashing our trundlers for a 100. He was hitting some mighty 6s just for fun.

Ijaz Ahmed prior to that was only famous for sticking his butt out and having a weird stance and never recollect him before or after that innings to ever play a brutal knock like that. He was always a sedate boring batsman.

this one?

Hrishikesh kanitkar hitting the winning runs in the finals of Independence cup 1998 ,Dhaka

Rahul Dravid's brave batting in those times aginst the likes of Pollock,Donald,Klusener in the finals of tri nation cup in SA....India lost that final after running the saffers close,that was the time when i felt, this is the next big thing in Indian Cricket(Rahul Dravid)

Edited by Suhaan
2 minutes ago, maniac said:

I remember this one. Jaddu played a cameo towards the end of our innings to give the total some respectability. I went out to meet some friends, hoping to see a bunch of Pak wickets fallen by the time I came back. Instead, the match itself was over when I got back home as Ijaz destroyed our bowlers and finished the match in a jiffy. Back in the day such hitting was very rare and to pull it off for the entirety of the match was just unbelievable.

14 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

God I hated that TVS cup. In the final we couldn't chase 235 :facepalm:.

As if world cup final wasn't enough, Aussies scored 347-2 in one of the matches in group stages as well. Jalne pe namak :((

Agarkar slogged well at the end but we were never going to win it. That Aussie team was way too clutch.

Speaking of TVS cup , one anecdote comes to my mind. We all associate Sehwag with aggresive batting but in thode days it was usually Tendulkar who used to give us a blistering start. I remember there was this commercial related to cricket which showed both of them batting together and the scorecard would read Tendulkar 45* and Sehwag 25*.

Sachin was truly a God back then. Never seen a better stroke player in my life.

5 minutes ago, Stradlater said:

Agarkar slogged well at the end but we were never going to win it. That Aussie team was way too clutch.

Speaking of TVS cup , one anecdote comes to my mind. We all associate Sehwag with aggresive batting but in thode days it was usually Tendulkar who used to give us a blistering start. I remember there was this commercial related to cricket which showed both of them batting together and the scorecard would read Tendulkar 45* and Sehwag 25*.

Sachin was truly a God back then. Never seen a better stroke player in my life.

Yeah I can recall it, two rookies from Aus ,Bracken and Brad Williams were just too much for us,infact,NZ the third team too had problem facing the new ball attack of Aussies

They could field their second xi aginst any team and still win it,such was their dominance then