Obscure and random cricket matches you remember.

maniac

I don’t remember all the match results but during the 1996 tri series Aus-WI-Sl right before the 96 WC where SL were coming into their own and experimenting with Jaya-Kalu combo, I remember this funny incident, Jaya got hit on his “nuts” multiple times 3-4 games in a row by Mcgrath  and someone in the crowd had this creative caricature cutout of Jayasuriya holding his nuts with his eyes popping out (you know the ones with springs attached)  :laugh:. Will remember that forever. 

Same series Bevan played his first clutch knock with the tail in a low scoring game vs WI. I remember the game where Roger Harper claimed a clear bump catch and it was karma that Bevan hit him for a 4 on the last ball 

34 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Always hated ian harvey , always made me wonder how his slower ones get so many wkts

and the number of catches we dropped in that game

Ian Harvey

Bracken

Brad Williams

All trundlers

And don't forget Andy bichel. If it wasn't for him we would have faced NZ in the 2003 wc final :((

8 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

Yeah I can recall it, two rookies from Aus ,Bracken and Brad Williams were just too much for us,infact,NZ the third team too had problem facing the new ball attack of Aussies

They could field their second xi aginst any team and still win it,such was their dominance then

I think it was the same series where Dravid scored a brisk Fifty off 21 balls to equal an Indian record.

3 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

Ian Harvey

Bracken

Brad Williams

All trundlers

And don't forget Andy bichel. If it wasn't for him we would have faced NZ in the 2003 wc final :((

Brad Williams wasn't a trundler,he regularly  bowled in excess of 140

I remember in 2004 vb series,he bowled quite a few deliveries above 145k

He rushed many of our batsmen in that series

2002 CB series after Ashes got over. In one ODI, England bowled out Australia for some 169 on a flat MCG pitch. It looked obvious that Australia will lose the game, but Brett Lee bowled fast and single handedly won the game for Australia. I then realized why were they called world championship.

I didn’t see this game live but saw the scorecard the next day in the newspaper. In the odi series in India’s 1996 England tour there was this player called Alistair Brown who hit a quick fire 125+ (for those days standards) against us in one of the ODIs. The match was washed out and I don’t think records stayed those days if match was abandoned( need to check  on that).

Anyways this guy would not find a spot in the mediocre English odi side even though he was one of the first guys to hit a list a 200 or have the highest list a score or something like that.

He was eventually given a shot much much later and he was washed up by then.

# Pakistan Australia Kenya tries series (one of the most random tries series you'll ever see) , with one of the most random end ,yes the final was washed out lol ,trophy shared but I remember Hayden smashing the daylights out of Pakistani phaasstt boilers! And then their joke of a batting line up shitting bricks against McGrath and Gillespie. 

# Australia  chasing 326 against saf in a bilateral odi series in saf ,that was the highest chase during that time.

# dinesh mongia scoring a 170 odd against Zimbabwe in the decider and I was actually scared that zim could chase down that 330 odd total lol 

# India vs nzl gwalior odi 1999 ,remember that game due that bhardwaj run out and dada smashing nzl bowlers like tinpot at the death .that was a good one day series played with the red ball .

# India vs saf 2000 odi series game 1 at kochi I think ,India chased down 300 and I remember that game specifically because the umpires had signalled a 4 wrongly and then recalled the players when it was too dark just to finish the final run .

That was a great game and probably the best series win for India,beating saf in odis was the pinnacle for any team during that time 

Matches from 1987 WC, watching on B&W TVs! Gavaskar hitting a ODI 100 and Chetan Sharma’s hattrick 

Chetan Sharma hitting a 100 vs NZ in Nehru Cup 1989

1993 ODI series vs Eng, esp the match where Robin Smith hit a 100 and we won thanks to Sidhu’s 100, Paul Jarvis taking a 5-er

Mohali Test vs WI in 1994, Prabhakar getting hit by Ken Benjamin

Ricardo Powell’s 100 in Singapore in a tri series final

Phillo Wallace hitting a first ball six off Srinath in 1998 ICC Knock out semis

Sehwag’s 100  vs NZ in SL in 2001, word spread around the hostel that a Sachin clone is batting!

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

There was an ODI against NZ at home ('99 series) where they batted 1st and got 349 runs on the board. Remember the scores more or less, Spearman 68(44), Astle 120, Twose a 50. I had never seen hitting like that before in any ODI match, a couple of 6s by Spearman resulted in the ball getting stuck in the tent like roof.We batted well and scored 300+ but lost. That's a random match I guess. In our gully cricket matches, we had to choose a player's name and we used to call each other that...I christened myself Spearman for a few months when the other kids went for the big names.

Then an ODI between NZ and RSA. It was a proper thriller and Klusener scored a rapid 50 or 60 to finish the match in the final ball.I remember Shane O Connor bowling yorkers on leg stump and somehow Zulu would hit those for 6s over square leg and deep mid wicket....insane power. 

Yeah remember watching both the matches as kid .those days it was telecast on star sports and I used to see the highlights at night for nzl matches 

I remember this Aus-Eng odi series in England where the Hollioke bros absolutely whitewashed Aussies. A rare feat in those days.

Adam was a “street smart cricketer” who could bat and bowl and Ben was a 135k trundler who could slog a few ( @zen sound familiar) 

These bits and pieces bros absolutely smashed Aussies which for England in those days was a big deal.

Also this SA-Aus test match in SA where Gilchrist was hitting 6s for fun. The sponsors had a hoarding where they were giving a million rand I believe for those who hit it and Gilchrist was absolutely toying with SA phaast bowleirs and trying to hit the target at will and kept missing marginally.One of the most exciting test innings ever :laugh:

Edited by maniac
11 minutes ago, maniac said:

I didn’t see this game live but saw the scorecard the next day in the newspaper. In the odi series in India’s 1996 England tour there was this player called Alistair Brown who hit a quick fire 125+ (for those days standards) against us in one of the ODIs. The match was washed out and I don’t think records stayed those days if match was abandoned( need to check  on that).

Anyways this guy would not find a spot in the mediocre English odi side even though he was one of the first guys to hit a list a 200 or have the highest list a score or something like that.

He was eventually given a shot much much later and he was washed up by then.

Rathour, one of my favourite players at that time (had seen him bat a few times at Roshanara Club in Delhi), hit his only 50 of the tour. The bugger must have scored over 1000 runs in practice matches on that tour but was a total dud in Tests and ODIs

I remember watching Shoaib Akhtar for the first time. Back then I did not understand the concept of speed guns and thought that 100 kph is extremely fast.

He was bowling so fast that I thought the batsmen should not try hitting the ball at all, just change the direction of the ball and boundaries easily.