Obscure and random cricket matches you remember.

maniac

I am not talking about the famous games but just random cricket games that are etched in your memory.

The one that comes to mind was a match between SA and WI from a odi series in 1998. SA had a middling score and WI made a quick start opening with Chanderpaul and some other hack. 

All of a sudden Kallis,Kluesner,Pollock etc started bowling short pitch and hitting WI players on the grill,body and helmet and WI who looked like they will win all of a sudden folded meekly. It was painful and fun to watch at the same time.

The other one was a odi match between India and Nzl in the mid 90s in Mumbai. I remember this one well because  the next day my dad had given me passes to see an exhibition double wicket contest in the same ground. This tournament   had Sachin,Azhar,Kambli etc. anyways, I remember this odi match the previous day as well because Kambli absolutely took apart Simon Doull with some breath taking drives and India chased down a small total real quick. 

I remember that exhibition game that followed as well. The star wasn’t Sachin or Azhar or Carl Hooper(who played in it) or Kambli but Gagan Khoda who hit some  mighty 6s. Some of them so hard that it thudded into the cement block above the members stand where  the members name was etched  on it. One 6 was hit so hard that the dust flew off of the cement block. One of the most powerful 6s I have seen.

The other one probably not so obscure game was when Chetan Sharma was promoted as a pinch hitter and ended up getting a 100 against England I guess. First time I saw such a innovative move. I believe Srikkanth was the captain.

Also I remember Gilchrist’s 1st or 2nd game in the titan cup. Before this game I had seen Gilchrist in 1995 in the Hong Kong 6s tournament. The guy was the absolute standout star of this tournament. Those days there was no bias like “oh” this is T6 or some random pointless tournament. It was just exciting and refreshing to see this kind of hitting. Anyways, I was really excited to see him bat in internationals but I remember this game more for Alan Donald’s lethal spell. He got 2 in 2, just missed the hat trick with a Jaffa and got a wicket the next ball. Had 3 in 4. Was a lethal spell from an ATG at his peak.Absolutely dismantled Australia.

Another one that comes to mind was from the India-England odi series 1993. Siddhu got a brilliant 100 and had a partnership with Kumble to get India over the line. I remember watching the last few overs live after I just came back from school.

There are many such games but what are your random cricketing memories? Try avoiding the famous matches that everyone knows.

* douglas marillier taking zaheer khan apart 

* sachin giving some phainta to henry olanga in some random game

* ashes test , atherton needed 12 or 13 for his century and eng needed 50 odd to win .. alex stewrat came and scored run a ball 40 to screw his century

* manoj prabhakar bowling off-spin

* mongia and prabhakar scored 20 soemthing in the last 10 overs when we needed 40 odd runs :wall:

India vs Australia , first game TVS cup 2003.

I was probably 8 or 9 but vividly remember this match.

India batted first and Nathan Bracken struck early to get Sehwag out in the slips in the very first over.

Afterwards Tendulkar and Laxman batted sensibly and scored centuries to take India to a good , challenging total. 

Gilly and Hayden opened the innings for Australia and started to take apart Indian bowlers to cleaners from the word go.. Gilchrist especially was in superb sublime touch and made Indian pacers look like joke. Finally when it looked like these two would easily guide Aussies to victory , Zaheer struck and clean bowled Gilly. Oh the joy we felt couldn't be described in words.

This wicket proved quite crucial for India and Aussies couldn't recover afterwards resulting in a win for us. Those days beating Australians used to be a mammoth task which made the victory even more sweet.

There was an ODI against NZ at home ('99 series) where they batted 1st and got 349 runs on the board. Remember the scores more or less, Spearman 68(44), Astle 120, Twose a 50. I had never seen hitting like that before in any ODI match, a couple of 6s by Spearman resulted in the ball getting stuck in the tent like roof.We batted well and scored 300+ but lost. That's a random match I guess. In our gully cricket matches, we had to choose a player's name and we used to call each other that...I christened myself Spearman for a few months when the other kids went for the big names.

Then an ODI between NZ and RSA. It was a proper thriller and Klusener scored a rapid 50 or 60 to finish the match in the final ball.I remember Shane O Connor bowling yorkers on leg stump and somehow Zulu would hit those for 6s over square leg and deep mid wicket....insane power. 

Edited by Gollum
15 minutes ago, velu said:

* ashes test , atherton needed 12 or 13 for his century and eng needed 50 odd to win .. alex stewrat came and scored run a ball 40 to screw his century

* mongia and prabhakar scored 20 soemthing in the last 10 overs when we needed 40 odd runs :wall:

Edited by Stradlater
28 minutes ago, velu said:

That wasn’t really obscure. That is one the most notorious games in the history of Indian cricket :((

6 minutes ago, maniac said:

That wasn’t really obscure. That is one the most notorious games in the history of Indian cricket :((

i haven't watched that game actually .. but that scorecard is not easy to forget :p: 

later in 2000s , i did some research on that game  ..

Also I believe I mentioned this before as I recollect having a conversation with @sscomp32 on this before.

There was this random domestic T20 tournament  that was telecast on DD sports. This was way before WT20 or IPL or ICl

This was some where around 2005-2006. Right before Dhoni became a superstar with his 180 odd against Srilanka but right after he made a splash against Pakistan with his 140 odd, just right in that sweet spot.

Sehwag played earlier that day in the same tournament and scored a breath taking 50 of 20 or 25 odd balls, might have been in the same game or a game held prior.Can’t  recollect However 

Dhoni absolutely destroyed the opposition that had some decent ex and current Indian nationals and some upcoming domestic bowlers. He scored a 80 odd I think at the rate of knots. Some unbelievable hitting with some trademark helicopter shots and some brutal slog sweeps.

I remember in the post match interview where he was the man of the match when the interviewer asked him if he is the new Sehwag, Dhoni replies humbly “I am a big fan of his and try to play like him” or something like that. No fake bs like “jet plains” “process” etc. That was the pure and earthy MSD we all fell in love with. What a pathetic downfall :wall:

Edited by maniac
3 minutes ago, maniac said:

Also I believe I mentioned this before as I recollect having a conversation with @sscomp32 on this before.

There was this random domestic T20 tournament  that was telecast on DD sports.

This was some where around 2005-2006. Right before Dhoni became a superstar with his 180 odd against Srilanka but right after he made a splash against Pakistan with his 140 odd, just right in that sweet spot.

I think that A-tour of kenya where he smashed pak , i do remeber that game ...he batted at 3.

It was telecasted on ten sports and the footage is used in his movie as well

2 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

I think that A-tour of kenya where he smashed pak , i do remeber that game ...he batted at 3.

It was telecasted on ten sports and the footage is used in his movie as well

No. It was a proper domestic tournament on DD sports. I saw Sehwag bat in this as well. This was even before T20 became a thing but it was T20 tournament. Dhoni was already famous but not a superstar yet.

Edited by maniac

One game i remeber was against Zimb , dont when or which game was it....as i was very small

I remeber that game for robin singh outstanding fielding 

Another one that is still very fresh was when dinesh mongia smahsed 159 against zimb n yuvi smashed 80+ in same game, M from chandigarh n me n dinesh mongia lived in same sector so it was a huge celebration in the area

3 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

India vs Zimbabwe tied Match at Paarl in 1997 where Eddo Brandes Bowled a wide and our batting pair ran them self out. I was mad, furious that time to see us fk up the chance to win that game.

Watch from 4:18

Didn’t watch the video. Wasn’t that the game that made Robin Singh and Saba Karim famous? I remember watching the highlights the next day and becoming a fan of Robin Singh’s talent :giggle:

40 minutes ago, Stradlater said:

India vs Australia , first game TVS cup 2003.

I was probably 8 or 9 but vividly remember this match.

India batted first and Nathan Bracken struck early to get Sehwag out in the slips in the very first over.

Afterwards Tendulkar and Laxman batted sensibly and scored centuries to take India to a good , challenging total. 

Gilly and Hayden opened the innings for Australia and started to take apart Indian bowlers to cleaners from the word go.. Gilchrist especially was in superb sublime touch and made Indian pacers look like joke. Finally when it looked like these two would easily guide Aussies to victory , Zaheer struck and clean bowled Gilly. Oh the joy we felt couldn't be described in words.

This wicket proved quite crucial for India and Aussies couldn't recover afterwards resulting in a win for us. Those days beating Australians used to be a mammoth task which made the victory even more sweet.

God I hated that TVS cup. In the final we couldn't chase 235 :facepalm:.

As if world cup final wasn't enough, Aussies scored 347-2 in one of the matches in group stages as well. Jalne pe namak :((