maniac

Obscure and random cricket matches you remember.

There was this game vs SL, on a hot April Saturday, that I saw at the Wankhede, where Dhoni hit a 6 to win us the game. It was probably the only thing I remember in that otherwise dull game. People went berserk for a few days after that 6. 

Dont know what the fuss was all about :dontknow:

Never again, am I going to see an ODI in its entirety. Even on a TV, let alone in the stadium.

- India vs. WI Chepauk 1983 test Sunil Gavaskar 236 not out 

- India vs. Pak 1983-84 at JLN stadium, Delhi ( Kirti Azad plucking out a victory) 

- India vs. WI Tied ODI 125 score 1991 

- India vs England 1984 ODI series with VEngsarkar scoring 105 

- India vs. WI Delhi test match 1988 test with India getting bowled out for 75 and then restricting WI for 29/6 before Richards bailed them out and got them to 127 . EVentually, WI won in a close contest .

ODI match between WI and Aus wherein Steven Waugh and bevan had the wonderful partnership to win the match. They did not hit many fours and sixers but still they chased at more than run a ball and won. Their running between wickets and strike rotation was amazing.

Sohail Khan picking 5 fer against us in ODI WC. Debut match and he just ran through the batting lineup.

Similarly other debutant. Franklyn Rose took a 5 for something on test debut on our tour to WI.

Vinod Kambli crying on-field against Sri Lanka.

Solkar taking a brilliant catch of Lloyd in 1974 test series in India. Probably that superb catch was the only way we could have got Lloyd looked well set for a 200.

Glenn Turners 100 which knocked our chances of progressing to WC knockouts.

Collission between Lloyd and Sobers which helped India get run-out .

Paul Valthaty scoring a IPL ton. Came from nowhere. Totally unexpected by anyone.

Edited by Straight Drive

On 2/11/2019 at 1:35 PM, MultiB48 said:

Remember watching that on the streets,I think they won off a scrambled single .

Yes, ODIs were awesome and even better to watch than tests till mid 2000s. And I'm not even being nostalgic.

2009 CT semis I think where Ponting scored a ton vs England. That was the best Ponting innings I have ever seen aesthetic wise, classiest shots galore.

Edited by MechEng

In 2002 Ind Zim series 1st ODI,Ind scored 274. Zim were 210-8 after 44 overs.Out of nowhere,Douglas Marilier scooped and ramped  to 56(24) to win the game in last wicket. Zaheer had figures of 8-2-14-4.But finished with 10-2-47-4. Kumble got destroyed that day.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/15394/scorecard/64753/india-vs-zimbabwe-1st-odi-zimbabwe-tour-of-india-2001-02

Edited by diehardpacer

1 hour ago, diehardpacer said:

In 2002 Ind Zim series 1st ODI,Ind scored 274. Zim were 210-8 after 44 overs.Out of nowhere,Douglas Marilier scooped and ramped  to 56(24) to win the game in last wicket. Zaheer had figures of 8-2-14-4.But finished with 10-2-47-4. Kumble got destroyed that day.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/15394/scorecard/64753/india-vs-zimbabwe-1st-odi-zimbabwe-tour-of-india-2001-02

that is still fresh in the memory

Same series another match when hondo took 4 wkts against us and we collapsed 

Anyone remembers the Titan Cup 1996 Tri Series involving India,  Australia and SA shortly held after the 1996 WC. 

In one of the India - Australia matches held in Bangalore,   India needed around 40-50 runs with just 2 wickets in hand and Kumble- Sri Nath took India to victory with their Mothers sitting and cheering in the stands. 

In one of the other India - Australia match held in the same tournament which was a virtual semi Final,  India put up a good score and Australia put up a fight till the 49th over where 6 runs were needed off 6 balls with only one wicket remaining. Tendulkar bowler the last over and a mix up happened at the first ball of the over and India qualified for the Finals against Sa,  which India won thanks to heroics from Ajay Jadeja. 

31 minutes ago, rageaddict said:

Anyone remembers the Titan Cup 1996 Tri Series involving India,  Australia and SA shortly held after the 1996 WC. 

yes the 1st time i started watching cricket that was the series 

31 minutes ago, rageaddict said:

In one of the India - Australia matches held in Bangalore,   India needed around 40-50 runs with just 2 wickets in hand and Kumble- Sri Nath took India to victory with their Mothers sitting and cheering in the stands. 

In one of the other India - Australia match held in the same tournament which was a virtual semi Final,  India put up a good score and Australia put up a fight till the 49th over where 6 runs were needed off 6 balls with only one wicket remaining. Tendulkar bowler the last over and a mix up happened at the first ball of the over and India qualified for the Finals against Sa,  which India won thanks to heroics from Ajay Jadeja. 

Still remember kumble taking  4 wkt haul in final 

42 minutes ago, rageaddict said:

One of the most enjoyable ODI tri-series I remember watching. RSA looked unbeatable up until the final. Bloody Rakesh Maria ruined it for me a few years later when he said the final was "totally fixed" :((.

4 hours ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

One of the most enjoyable ODI tri-series I remember watching. RSA looked unbeatable up until the final. Bloody Rakesh Maria ruined it for me a few years later when he said the final was "totally fixed" :((.

:omg:

15 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

another painful final

Remember this was a Tri-Series involving Zimbabwe if it am not wrong. It also reminds us how difficult was it for us to defeat even teams like West Indies and NZ in those days. 

Sodhi, Dighe and Mohanty LOL,  Chris Gayle has been around forever played along with these guys and still playing. 

13 minutes ago, rageaddict said:

Remember this was a Tri-Series involving Zimbabwe if it am not wrong. It also reminds us how difficult was it for us to defeat even teams like West Indies and NZ in those days. 

yes , 3rd team was zimbabwe

NZ was a good side in those days specially with an x-factor like bond 

It wasnt difficult ...we use to make a mess of finals. In this series we were winning every game easily...our batsman specially sachin was in top form . 

13 minutes ago, rageaddict said:

Sodhi, Dighe and Mohanty LOL,  Chris Gayle has been around forever played along with these guys and still playing. 

it was collymore who got us in the final

Then there was this 2001 home series vs WI when it was 3-3 and jermaine lawson destroyed us in decided

Ganguly was not a good captain for finals, he infact made a joke in his last year during a domestic competition where they again lost in final . I think he told manoj tiwary to take up the leadership saying they wont win final under ganguly