Sign in to follow this  
Trichromatic

Shannon Gabriel suspended for 4 ODIs for on-field comments

I can't believe he is getting punished for stating "do you like boy?" To which root replied with "nothing wrong being gay." To which Gabriel replied with "I don't have a problem with that ... Stop looking at me then"

This is not even a f'ing dig at the homosexuals. Wtf ICC? 

Edited by Zero_Unit

45 minutes ago, Zero_Unit said:

I can't believe he is getting punished for stating "do you like boy?" To which root replied with "nothing wrong being gay." To which Gabriel replied with "I don't have a problem with that ... Stop looking at me then"

This is not even a f'ing dig at the homosexuals. Wtf ICC? 

I'd argue that if you're attempting to use the suggestion that someone's gay as a way to insult or mock them that makes the comment homophobic.

10 hours ago, Stumped said:

I'd argue that if you're attempting to use the suggestion that someone's gay as a way to insult or mock them that makes the comment homophobic.

I totally agree with you on using the "gay" term to insult someone however, here is the problem with this scenerio for me. Asking someone if they are gay is not offensive. It is most likely he used it in the way you laid out, however Gabriel could say I just simply asked him about his sexuality preference since he kept on staring at me. You can't pin him down for that. This would not hold up in a court me thinks. 

Take Safraz's offence for example. Guy said the term Kalaa - this is what got him caught. The rest of his nonsense was fine, just the word Kalaa got him in trouble. However in Gabriels episode, nowhere did he use the term Gay or did he say he has a problem with gay. All he said was you like boys cause you looking at me, if not stop looking at me. This does not deserve a demirit point. 

6 hours ago, Zero_Unit said:

It is most likely he used it in the way you laid out, however Gabriel could say I just simply asked him about his sexuality preference since he kept on staring at me. You can't pin him down for that.

You can however if he admits to it in his statement: "...the comment... which I assumed was inoffensive picong and sporting banter." Picong being a West Indian word meaning to taunt or ridicule.