Your top pick among DK, Pant, Rahul, Rayudu and Shankar

zen

WC spot   

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your top pick for a spot in the WC?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/01/2019 at 05:00 AM

Just now, zen said:

Currently, these guys are in consideration for 3-4 spots. 

That is one sorry bunch of players to choose from. I will go easy on Pant though. He had very very limited opportunities. But too late for us to understand how he goes about his innings in an ODI where you should be capable of rotating the strike for long period and accelerate at the end. 

As far as others go they are woefully inadequate in one area or the other

KKD - can rotate strike(occasionally), can go big at the end , Can't stay long

Vijay Shankar - can rotate strike, cannot be a reliable hitter down the order, Staying power - unexplored

Rahul - can't do anything consistently

Rayudu - can't rotate strike, can't go big at the end, can stay long by scratching around, sucks against good quality bowling

57 minutes ago, bowl_out said:

Don't know why Rayudu is on every poll.. He has the backing all the way from selectors to Captain and VC..

There is no way he is not going to be in the WC squad, whether you like it or not..

None of the others in this poll have a guaranteed spot.

This is about who is the most well regarded for a spot from this group among fans (not necessarily who is guaranteed a spot) .... the most well regarded by fans may not find a spot in the squad .... And  even if Rayudu makes it, he could be replaced by one of these in the playing 11 if he does not perform after a few games 

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

2 spots.  I want Rayudu and DK to be given an opportunity to solidify their spots.  Its too late for the WC to audition Pant and Shankar.  KLR needs to force his way back into the squad by some serious run-scoring.  

Do you think Rayudu / DK would be consistent enough to play all 9 games in the group stages? 

I think it is a futile exercise anymore to worry about our batting. I say let us fully focus on our bowling. Get a group of bowlers who can consistently employ pressure against all oppositions. We have had dream run in ICC trophies when our bowling clicks. True since 1983 world cup.  Have 5 gun bowlers who never allow any team to get away. Having said bringing back this useless head band kaul is a regressive move.

9 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

I think it is a futile exercise anymore to worry about our batting. I say let us fully focus on our bowling. Get a group of bowlers who can consistently employ pressure against all oppositions. We have had dream run in ICC trophies when our bowling clicks. True since 1983 world cup.  Have 5 gun bowlers who never allow any team to get away. Having said bringing back this useless head band kaul is a regressive move.

Bowlers would be Bumrah, Shami, Bhuvi/Chahal, Kuldeep, Pandya and Jadhav 

23 minutes ago, zen said:

Do you think Rayudu / DK would be consistent enough to play all 9 games in the group stages? 

I do not expect Rayudu or DK to have to bat in all 9 games.  At least 5 of them will be dominated by our top order.  We need those guys for situations where we lose 2 or more of the top 3 cheap and early.  And for them to deliver when those situations arise, they need to play a bunch of games so that they get the opportunity to bat frequently in less pressure situations, and build up some semblance of form, confidence and batting rhythm.  

Its one of the toughest jobs in LOI cricket to ask a middle-order batsman to solidify and reverse the pressure and momentum in a collapse.  If you are asking guys to do that job with some level of reliability, its unrealistic to expect them to do that when you keep benching them, dumping them from the squad, etc. 

Batsmen get better with more runs and game time under the belt.  Whoever is designated for the 2 middle-order slots for the WC, should get maximum number of games from here forward.  It looks like the selectors have decided to give Rayudu that extended run, but aren't sure about Karthik.  

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

I do not expect Rayudu or DK to have to bat in all 9 games.  At least 5 of them will be dominated by our top order.  We need those guys for situations where we lose 2 or more of the top 3 cheap and early.  And for them to deliver when those situations arise, they need to play a bunch of games so that they get the opportunity to bat frequently in less pressure situations, and build up some semblance of form, confidence and batting rhythm.  

Its one of the toughest jobs in LOI cricket to ask a middle-order batsman to solidify and reverse the pressure and momentum in a collapse.  If you are asking guys to do that job with some level of reliability, its unrealistic to expect them to do that when you keep benching them, dumping them from the squad, etc. 

Batsmen get better with more runs and game time under the belt.  Whoever is designated for the 2 middle-order slots for the WC, should get maximum number of games from here forward.  It looks like the selectors have decided to give Rayudu that extended run, but aren't sure about Karthik.  

If they are not showing semblance of form, confidence and batting rhythm as per expectations, we have to consider other option too