Did Shubhman Gill get hard done by selectors?

Austin 3:!6

Needless to say I am a big fan of Shubhman Gill and think he is the future star. But absolutely gutted the way selectors handled him. Got only 2 ODIs in NZ tour and then dropped from next series. Agreed he failed in both outings but it happens. If poster boys likes of Rahul, Jadhav and Rayudu can get so many chances why cant a youngster like Gill? I was so looking forward to watch him bat in the Australia series. He could have played a huge role for us in world cup as well.

Edited by beetle
13 minutes ago, Nikola said:

It was wrong time to test him actually. I will say selectors took brave call to pick him in NZ side. He is too raw atm but will get his chances after worldcup if he keeps working hard.

6 minutes ago, WeStMiDz said:

He should not feel hard done by. This was just an opportunity for him to get a feel for the surroundings of international cricket. Sure he did not make a mark but he should not fret, he will be back. 

Surely should have played the home series, especially now with Pandya out?

I am a supporter of Gill but watching him in NZ (Though the batting conditions were relatively tough in games he played), gave me the impression that he needs a bit more polishing. Did not appear as “ready” as Shaw and Pant. Agarwal, who is much older, also looked like he belonged to international cricket straight away 

Of the guys who made debut recently:  

* Excellent (look good. have to adjust to the learning curve): Shaw, Pant and Agarwal 

* Good (some tinkering required) : Shankar and Gill

* Average (need to work hard to improve the game for international cricket): Vihari (makes me want to questions domestic stats) 

Edited by zen

Like I mentioned before look at football leagues around the world like La Liga and Bundes liga the average age of player is in mid 20's. He got a break too soon. But then this is ICF and people refuse to learn from other sports. What do others know that resident expert on this forum are not aware of?

Introduced in the toughest period. But i don't think he should feel disheartened. He was playing his shots well. Once the initial nervousness is gone in the first few games he will be on his way. If he is not nervous it will be a destiny he will score runs all around the world. So far i am judging only his batting quality not the mental strength. I think Shaw  has an edge in this area.

35 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Introduced in the toughest period. But i don't think he should feel disheartened. He was playing his shots well. Once the initial nervousness is gone in the first few games he will be on his way. If he is not nervous it will be a destiny he will score runs all around the world. So far i am judging only his batting quality not the mental strength. I think Shaw  has an edge in this area.

That straight drive in his 2nd match was pure class. He was batting brilliantly even in the 1st ODI until got that blow on the head from Boult. He was looking the best batsman of the team until then.

4 hours ago, Nikola said:

It was wrong time to test him actually. I will say selectors took brave call to pick him in NZ side. He is too raw atm but will get his chances after worldcup if he keeps working hard.

Exactly. He got international exposure and the confidence that selectors had in his talent despite having very little domestic exposure. As expected, he looked raw. 

He shouldn't feel hard done at all. 12-18 months of domestic experience will do him a world of good. Bring him back to internationals mid-2020 and prepare him for 2023 WC

2 minutes ago, bowl_out said:

Exactly. He got international exposure and the confidence that selectors had in his talent despite having very little domestic exposure. As expected, he looked raw. 

He shouldn't feel hard done at all. 12-18 months of domestic experience will do him a world of good. Bring him back to internationals mid-2020 and prepare him for 2023 WC

He already proved he is too good for domestic cricket. There is literally no bowler who could trouble him. Also did well in India A. Was easily the best in under-19. Don't think he has to go back , score runs against Vinnie kumar and co to prove himself. If you identify a world class potential give him more chances.

8 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

He already proved he is too good for domestic cricket. There is literally no bowler who could trouble him. Also did well in India A. Was easily the best in under-19. Don't think he has to go back , score runs against Vinnie kumar and co to prove himself. If you identify a world class potential give him more chances.

Give him more chances, yes. But not start testing him out one series before the WC. 

Get him to domestics for another season and bring him back to internationals after WC.

2 hours ago, zen said:

I am a supporter of Gill but watching him in NZ (Though the batting conditions were relatively tough in games he played), gave me the impression that he needs a bit more polishing. Did not appear as “ready” as Shaw and Pant. Agarwal, who is much older, also looked like he belonged to international cricket straight away 

Of the guys who made debut recently:  

* Excellent (look good. have to adjust to the learning curve): Shaw, Pant and Agarwal 

* Good (some tinkering required) : Shankar and Gill

* Average (need to work hard to improve the game for international cricket): Vihari (makes me want to questions domestic stats) 

Now lets say Dhawan and Rohit debuted in those two matches Gill played, they looked like out of sorts in same match. Conditions were tough when he came to bat, and its not easy for established batsmen, let alone someone making debut.  

23 minutes ago, wanted_desi said:

Now lets say Dhawan and Rohit debuted in those two matches Gill played, they looked like out of sorts in same match. Conditions were tough when he came to bat, and its not easy for established batsmen, let alone someone making debut.  

My comparison is with likes of Shaw, Agarwal and Pant. The latter two batted in difficult conditions as well 

Rohit and Dhawan, i would only rate them on good batting pitches. They have failed multiple times in tough conditions in various formats :lol: