A question for gym goers

MechEng

After a long string of stressful Pakistan threads, I decided to let off steam with some of my threads 

How effective is the elliptical machine? It's winter right now and I prefer not to run because I don't sweat heavy on winters, so I use the elliptical machine at the gym instead which helps me in sweating too! So how good it is? How has it helped you?

Keep fit and don't stress!!

rihanna-gym-pic-twitpic2.thumb.jpg.ba66778b3d559a163c5822a383eb7744.jpg

Less effective than treadmill as far as burning calories is concerned. But a few months back I busted my knee, so do more elliptical these days...easier on knees. But then again what is your motive? Talk to your coach/trainer or some experienced guy in the gym, he'll be the best judge. 

^ Same here. I dont use treadmill at all unless I cant resist. That used to happen quite often but now that urge is going.

Coming back to op question, i use it atleast 65 mins for 4 days a week at decent resistance. This is my main cardio go to machine. 

Have been using it for past 3 years. Occasionally, i get back back pain or feel niggle on knee or ankle. In that case i drop resistance and train till niggle goes.

All in all, its safest. effective  cardio machine.

This is what I generally do in winters, MechEng - to get ready for the cricket season in April. I don't do much gym in summers since we are playing or practicing regularly, but just go once in a while in summers. But in Winters, below is my workout in terms of cardio. 

- 30 minutes High Incline Walk on treadmill - Don't just walk. Put it on incline and walk at a brisk speed. If you are need to the brisk walk and incline, start slowly and gradually after few days increase the speed. Now I put my incline on 15(which is the highest) and set the speed at 4.2 or 4.3. Remember, there are no heroes. You can start at lower speed. and Remember to hold the handles. You have to, as you won't have any choice if you are walking on 4.2 on an incline of 15. 

- Eliptical, where you hands are also moving. Don't use the middle holders. Use the side holders so your whole body is getting the work out, including your hands. Same like treadmill, increase the resistance/incline whatever is comfortable to you. Don't stick to the lowest speed for a whole week. Play around with the numbers. 

- Do crunches and stretching after you have completed the workout, or even before.'

When you do this regularly for few days or weeks, you might start to get bored thinking that 30 mins is too long. You can always do 15 minutes on treadmill, then go elliptical, and then comeback do remaining time on treadmill again, so that you avoid getting bored. Change it up every now and then so you don't feel lazy to go to gym. Don't put pressure. Once in the gym, everyone usually tries to make it count. Its just that effort of getting out of your house which is the toughest ask. 

Also have cheat days, don't starve yourself. 

and most importantly - stop checking weight every few days. Because results don't come fast and a lot of time reading isn't correct since you might check your weight after drinking lot of water or food, which will give you false reading. Just hide the weighing machine and don't check it for few days. If your face is getting slimmer, you are losing weight and doing something right. Just remember that and always carry headphones with your device, be it your phone or your iPod. It makes it more easier and sweeter. 

11 hours ago, MechEng said:

How effective is the elliptical machine? It's winter right now and I prefer not to run because I don't sweat heavy on winters, so I use the elliptical machine at the gym instead which helps me in sweating too! So how good it is? How has it helped you?

ellipticals are good to keep fit not stress actually.

When you run you build cortisol the stress harmone, but when you do weights you do not - thats why you feel relaxed after a weight training workout and tired after marathon. 

Ellipticals are inbetween, helps you get high intensity fat burn but less of the stress. 

51 minutes ago, Vilander said:

ellipticals are good to keep fit not stress actually.

When you run you build cortisol the stress harmone, but when you do weights you do not - thats why you feel relaxed after a weight training workout and tired after marathon. 

Ellipticals are inbetween, helps you get high intensity fat burn but less of the stress. 

So running makes you a girlie :giggle:

But yeah I actually like ellipticals more than treadmills, you can customize settings by increasing resistance, treadmill is boring, just run outside under hot sun instead.

Edited by MechEng

23 minutes ago, Tibarn said:

For weight training, I do a modified version of a workout called 5x5. The original workout is more for strength training, but I modified it with less rest intervals for muscle gain instead. 

I do some HIIT, like 10 minutes daily, via skipping/jumping rope as fast as I can. 

HIIT is not my thing unfortunately. I can run very long distances under punishing sun but struggle with short time span high intensity excercises.

10 hours ago, Gollum said:

1 hour ago, Cricketics said:

This is what I generally do in winters, MechEng - to get ready for the cricket season in April. I don't do much gym in summers since we are playing or practicing regularly, but just go once in a while in summers. But in Winters, below is my workout in terms of cardio. 

- 30 minutes High Incline Walk on treadmill - Don't just walk. Put it on incline and walk at a brisk speed. If you are need to the brisk walk and incline, start slowly and gradually after few days increase the speed. Now I put my incline on 15(which is the highest) and set the speed at 4.2 or 4.3. Remember, there are no heroes. You can start at lower speed. and Remember to hold the handles. You have to, as you won't have any choice if you are walking on 4.2 on an incline of 15. 

- Eliptical, where you hands are also moving. Don't use the middle holders. Use the side holders so your whole body is getting the work out, including your hands. Same like treadmill, increase the resistance/incline whatever is comfortable to you. Don't stick to the lowest speed for a whole week. Play around with the numbers. 

- Do crunches and stretching after you have completed the workout, or even before.'

When you do this regularly for few days or weeks, you might start to get bored thinking that 30 mins is too long. You can always do 15 minutes on treadmill, then go elliptical, and then comeback do remaining time on treadmill again, so that you avoid getting bored. Change it up every now and then so you don't feel lazy to go to gym. Don't put pressure. Once in the gym, everyone usually tries to make it count. Its just that effort of getting out of your house which is the toughest ask. 

Also have cheat days, don't starve yourself. 

and most importantly - stop checking weight every few days. Because results don't come fast and a lot of time reading isn't correct since you might check your weight after drinking lot of water or food, which will give you false reading. Just hide the weighing machine and don't check it for few days. If your face is getting slimmer, you are losing weight and doing something right. Just remember that and always carry headphones with your device, be it your phone or your iPod. It makes it more easier and sweeter. 

Ha, it's like either getting your first test wicket or scoring your first half century. Once confidence comes, long innings is due.

After a long string of stressful Pakistan threads, I decided to let off steam with some of my threads 

Keep fit and don't stress!!

rihanna-gym-pic-twitpic2.thumb.jpg.ba66778b3d559a163c5822a383eb7744.jpg

No Rihanna, you are not supposed to lift your heel. You are doing it wrong.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, MechEng said:

HIIT is not my thing unfortunately. I can run very long distances under punishing sun but struggle with short time span high intensity excercises.

You can build up your stamina. The first time I tried I felt like I was going to vomit. :((

I like HIIT better than long distance as long distance running is worse for muscle growth. HIIT gives a more time efficient calorie burn, and gives me an awesome endorphin buzz as well :cantstop:

Edited by Tibarn

15 hours ago, Tibarn said:

You can build up your stamina. The first time I tried I felt like I was going to vomit. :((

I like HIIT better than long distance as long distance running is worse for muscle growth. HIIT gives a more time efficient calorie burn, and gives me an awesome endorphin buzz as well :cantstop:

Long distance running up to 5 kms is sensible, anything more than that is not normal. People in the past never needed activities which required 21 to 42 kms of running. Marathons are not normal.

17 minutes ago, rahulrulezz said:

I have been going Eliptical since for less than 2 months and have already lost more than 12 kgs since then. 40 mins Elliptical and 40 mins weight training is my secret. 

@MechEng Eliptical can help as Rahul and I pointed our. If younare not sweating that means your resistance level is low. Increase it and make it challenging for yourself. Remember “paddling fast” is not required. It will only tire you ourquickly after bit of sweat.

Remember to take it as a marathon. Go at your normal paddling pace at decent enough resistance and keep going, and you will see results.