How did we lose to this SA side?

R!TTER

Just now, Nikola said:

I know most people will say Ab de villiers but i will say our overrated batsman who can't chase anything over 100 in 4th innings. Look at Sri Lankan inexperienced side chased 300+ scores easily against same attack.

Yeah, playing the extra non performing A/R also didn't help! Heck SA paid for the same arrogance in last test. Test cricket has a set template for nearly 150 years - 6 batters/wk/bowlers & the 2 best test teams ever followed that to a tee.

Edited by R!TTER
26 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Discussed to death here:
Catching...number 1 reason
Openers
Spineless batting
Weak mental game in 4th innings chases
Selection blunders
No prep
Overconfidence

Sent from my SM-G350E using Tapatalk

We lost 3 test atleast where we couldn't able to chase anything around 210. Look at SL they chased in both the matches and in 2nd test very comprehensively. I bet we wouldn't have chased this 197 even against this SA team forget abt chasing more than 300.

The thing is NZ, WI, SL have shown proper test cricket application in the last year or so. We also did in Aus, but only in Aus & after 8 tests on the road - in none of them did we have a plan to combat opposition batters or bowlers like you normally do in tests. Test cricket is a lot like chess, sure we din't take our chances while batting or bowling, but some of the key aspects were IMO -

• We didn't have a plan - taking undue risks while batting, even when we didn't have to.
  • Bowling out the tail - still haven't figured this one out.
  • Team selection - IMO consistently the biggest blunder & still a huge question mark.

Edited by R!TTER

The Legend, AB de Villiers was the difference in that series. He outperformed all batsmen on either side, in the SA wins. 

In fact, the 3rd Test, which we won, had us get him out cheaply in both innings. I don't think that is a coincidence. 

SA's batting lineup looks so empty without him in it. I don't think he gets enough hype as a ATG Test Batsman.  

5 minutes ago, Tibarn said:

The Legend, AB de Villiers was the difference in that series. He outperformed all batsmen on either side, in the SA wins. 

In fact, the 3rd Test, which we won, had us get him out cheaply in both innings. I don't think that is a coincidence. 

SA's batting lineup looks so empty without him in it. I don't think he gets enough hype as a ATG Test Batsman.  

SA still scores almost same runs without ABDV. Difference was Srilanka didn't choke while batting in 4th innings like we did in 1st & 2nd test. In 3rd test SA choked.

3 minutes ago, Nikola said:

SA still scores almost same runs without ABDV. Difference was Srilanka didn't choke while batting in 4th innings like we did in 1st & 2nd test. In 3rd test SA choked.

The average scores were similar for SA, but I haven't watched the entirety of all the 5 Tests between SA and Ind/SL to comment fully on them. They could have scored around the same runs, but on easier pitches, I'm not sure.

I think it is true that AB saved them that series. He top scored in both their wins, IIRC.   

However, I agree with you that we need to find a way to win 4th innings chases, even in England, that was the case, we had a chance to win some of those tests chasing in the 4th. In SA we were trying Rohit Sharma again in the lineup over Rahane, which could have made a difference possibly in one of the matches, but Rohit was is good ODI form then, and Rahane was in bad form during the home tests, so who knows.

Amla declining so alarmingly, AB's absence, Philander's absence, SL had nothing to lose and hence could play with out any pressure of expectations at all....All said and done nothing to take away   from SL. This is because  this is the way it operates. All the said factors are part and parcel of cricket. Hence  the question ' how did we lose to this sa side' does not carry  much importance.