02/03 - 01:30 PM IST: 1st ODI (D/N), Australia tour of India at Hyderabad, Mar 2 2019

Search for ideal XI continues as India and Australia square off in Hyderabad

Five. That's the number of ODIs India play between now and the start of the World Cup. Though most Indian players will be in action during the IPL, the selectors need to have more or less firmed up their picks before that. So, when India face Australia in the first ODI of the five-match series on Saturday in Hyderabad, it will be another chance for the likes of KL Rahul and Vijay Shankar to push their cases forward.

The same holds true for Siddarth Kaul in the bowling department. Kaul replaced Khaleel Ahmed, who had been part of India's limited-overs set-up since making his debut at the Asia Cup last year. But now it looks like the selectors are exploring other options as well.

Australia are slightly better placed on that front, as they play another five-match ODI series - against Pakistan in the UAE - before the World Cup. But with Steven Smith and David Warner likely to come back into the reckoning and, if fit, the selectors' thoughts, there are question marks over their plans too.

Though Peter Handscomb kept wickets during the T20I series against India and has also kept in ODIs previously, Australia captain Aaron Finch confirmed on the eve of the match that Alex Carey would return to the side and assume the wicketkeeping duties. He may, however, bat at No. 7.

Glenn Maxwell's form with the bat in the India T20Is must have given Australia some assurance, but his desire to bat higher up was dashed by coach Justin Langer , who said the team management would only do "what's best for the team".

The visitors will be high on confidence after sweeping the two-match T20I series, but India might not make too much of a deal of that, especially in a World Cup year with the bigger picture to focus on.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/19059/preview/1168242/india-vs-australia-1st-odi-aus-in-ind-2018-19

Just now, SK_IH said:

He has done nothing in LOIs so far to coerce the TM. His time will come hopefully after WC.

He got great chance to prove his worth in t20s & odis but he just looks one dimensional cricketer at the moment. Many cricketers don't get chance to prove themselves. Ask Iyer how it feels. Pant should have used all chances he got to make worldcup spot his own.

1 minute ago, Nikola said:

He got great chance to prove his worth in t20s & odis but he just looks one dimensional cricketer at the moment. Many cricketers don't get chance to prove themselves. Ask Iyer how it feels. Pant should have used all chances he got to make worldcup spot his own.

I agree with you but I still hope he is part of the squad. Between DK and Pant, I ll choose Pant

Just now, SK_IH said:

I agree with you but I still hope he is part of the squad. Between DK and Pant, I ll choose Pant

Maybe but atm he has done nothing to be part of it. I will still want him to play 2 - 3 odis in this series and if he plays maturely in those then he will easily get picked.

17 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

I hope Virat knows what's his best XI.Ind has been constantly chopping and changing. Looks like this is it for the Pant from ODI squad.

He doesnt know ****.He is an arrogant retard.Watch him saying the same **** of "game time" for everyone when we lose this 4-1

Jadeja,Dhoni and SHANKAR...:facepalm: