India has a top order problem

flamy

Everyone keeps harping about middle order, and look at what is actually happening.

What is the world's best opening pair doing?

Everyone keeps quoting Dhawan's ICC record, but look at what is actually happening. Dude got one 50 in the last 10 games.

Rohit has gotten fat and lost his hand-eye coordination.

This and Pandya's fitness are the nuclear issues. 

Agreed. Even though i like rohit's batting he must improve his fitness else his days are near. Dhawan idk he is made for ICC tournaments specially against SENA. Pandya's worldload will have to be shared in wc & this is reason we should pick 4 pacers not just 3 so in matches which contains subcontinent teams we can play 3 seamers and rest pandya.

In 2018 Dhoni was averaging 24 at a strike rate of 71.  Few 50s against Australia don't mean he is "back to form".He still has dot ball issues, acceleration issues. Rayudu still has issues. Jadhav is good. But i still don't trust his fitness level.  He is a hopeless fielder too. Then we have 4 rank tailenders. KL Rahul looks good in T20 with his airy fairy shot. Not sure how effective he will be in the one dayer.  

34 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

In 2018 Dhoni was averaging 24 at a strike rate of 71.  Few 50s against Australia don't mean he is "back to form".He still has dot ball issues, acceleration issues. Rayudu still has issues. Jadhav is good. But i still don't trust his fitness level.  He is a hopeless fielder too. Then we have 4 rank tailenders. KL Rahul looks good in T20 with his airy fairy shot. Not sure how effective he will be in the one dayer.  

He will do a lot better than Dhawan with the field in for the first 10 overs if he hits out.

Flamy, you made valid points. But we also

don’t have choice but to back these guys as they have played all along all this while and its unfair to put someone else or replace them now as they have done pretty well untill very recently.

It surely can be a concern but I would only keep a backup for such situation instead of thinking of booting out one of the openers.

For me they will start and we must have backup in the form of Rahul, who can also be backup to anyone in the middle.

2 hours ago, Cricketics said:

Flamy, you made valid points. But we also

don’t have choice but to back these guys as they have played all along all this while and its unfair to put someone else or replace them now as they have done pretty well untill very recently.

It surely can be a concern but I would only keep a backup for such situation instead of thinking of booting out one of the openers.

For me they will start and we must have backup in the form of Rahul, who can also be backup to anyone in the middle.

We do have to back these guys, but Rahul needs to be seriously groomed by getting some actual game time, which I'm fairly certain will happen this series, maybe even next game.

With the standard of fitness that Kohli and Bumrah set, I'm surprised Rohit is in the shape he is. How does he get through the yo-yo tests?

With Dhawan, it feels like an attitude problem, like he's taken his place for granted.

That said, I'm confident with this TM. They are the people on ground level. Rahul is sure to get some chances, hopefully he is up to it.

33 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

Dhawan is bordering on becoming a serious issue. 

Yes,Rohit alongwith him are going downhill,we need to phase them out after wc,no need of continuing with either of them till wc 2023,just to give time to another set of openers to settle in

2 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

Yes,Rohit alongwith him are going downhill,we need to phase them out after wc,no need of continuing with either of them till wc 2023,just to give time to another set of openers to settle in

I think it's a given that would happen. Rohit might stay but dont see Dhawan hanging on.

Indian top order is overrated. When the going gets tough, expect Sharma to be back in the pavilion. He is useless when we most need him and Dhawan is showing decline in his form. So, all in all, this was predicted by many fans going into the World cup. Well done selectors for sticking to your mediocre standards. 

39 minutes ago, Lannister said:

Indian top order is overrated. When the going gets tough, expect Sharma to be back in the pavilion. He is useless when we most need him and Dhawan is showing decline in his form. So, all in all, this was predicted by many fans going into the World cup. Well done selectors for sticking to your mediocre standards. 

Who in your opinion will make it to semis ?