Most Impactful player from Australian Side

Most Impactful player from Australian Side  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Most Impactful player from Australian Side

I am talking about great Australian side from 90s to 2007. Question is simple. Just vote who you think had most impact on win for Australian side & you can give details on why by posting below. My personal choice would be Glenn McGrath but it's close call between Gilly & Him for me. Let me know your personal choice.

Edited by Nikola

McGrath...neutralized every great batsman of his era. Mind-blowing WC record. Most of the test losses for Aus in that golden era happened when he didn't play or was carrying injury, including both of England's victories in 2005 Ashes, our series triumph in 1998 and the 2003 Adelaide victory. Gilly a close 2nd for me, having a WK like that is a luxury no cricket team will ever have, and he too was clutch. The reason I put McGrath above him is because of consistency and he had very few weaknesses, Gilly wasn't effective against all teams and in all conditions. For instance Gilly could never dominate a series in India the way McGrath did in 2004....neither was he good in England. Warne close 3rd maybe because of bias (his record against us) and also because I feel he depended on McGrath's support more than the other way round. 

If I have to rate:

1. McGrath

2. Gilly

3. Warne

4. Ponting

*Top 4 are practically indistinguishable, any order among these 4 and I doubt there will be much grouse. 

Hayden at distant 5th 

PS: You should have added Steve Waugh in the poll even though he was from an earlier generation. From 1995-2003 which covers more than half of their dominant period, he was a big factor. He will be in between Ponting and Hayden IMO. Gillespie, Langer, Martyn (in that order) to follow behind Hayden. 

Edited by Gollum

For me it is Warne. Revived the art of leg spin & took it to great heights. His performances in 1996 WC SF, 1999 WC SF & final was just out of this world. Only spinner in that '99 WC to make a significant impact & got bucket load of wickets.
McGrath is ATG as well, but I'm personally biased towards Warnie because of the variety, skill, temperament, sheer-entertainment value.

Edited by Turning_track

My choice of vote & WHYYYYYYY

ALAN GARDNER | MARCH 7, 2019

Australia v South Africa, Super Sixes, Leeds 1999

Australia won by five wickets

What happened
Having lost to New Zealand and Pakistan in the group stage, Australia had their work cut out for them. Going into the final Super Six encounter, Steve Waugh's team knew they had to beat South Africa to progress. Herschelle Gibbs' hundred meant Australia needed 272 - but that was not to be Gibbs' most significant contribution to a match that has gone down in World Cup folklore. At 48 for 3, out strode Waugh, bristling with intent; in partnership with Ricky Ponting he resurrected the chase, cracking 50 from 47 balls. Then came the fateful moment when, on 56, he flicked Lance Klusener to midwicket. Gibbs took the catch but, seemingly attempting to celebrate, let the ball slip from his grasp. "You've just dropped the World Cup," was Waugh's (sadly apocryphal) response. He went on to score an unbeaten 120 and seal victory.

Why it was great
Waugh's innings, only his second hundred in 266 ODIs to that point, underscored his reputation for ice-cold execution under pressure. It secured Australia's safe passage to the World Cup semi-finals with just two balls to spare - defeat would have sent Zimbabwe into the last four instead - but the result was to have another hugely significant knock-on effect. The teams met again in the second semi-final, in Birmingham, four days later, and when it finished in a tumultuous tie, it was the victory over South Africa in the Super Six that sent Australia through (the head-to-head record was used before net run rate, although Australia held the advantage on that score, too).

http://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/1174304/-you-ve-just-dropped-the-world-cup

Edited by Stan AF