Likely scapegoats for potential WC debacle

zen

For many, Ind is the favorite to win the WC. Anything less than an entry into the final would be seen as under-performance. Esp. with hype around our bowlers and top 3. Many even think Rayudu as a world class performer .... Like mothers that think their child is the most beautiful, many fans have already visualized Ind with the cup. And that is great! 

However, things are not as straightforward as they appear. I have listed the challenges in various thread. I will take the entry into the final or even SF as a bonus rather than a guarantee. This allows me to enjoy the tourney more as well while appreciating good cricket from most sides (vs. worrying about every boundary that the other team hits)  

IF Ind fails to make the mark, the likely scapegoats would be Rohit (Tuktuk), Rayudu (if he plays in most of the games) and Dhoni, who is enjoying credit from all quarters but we know life is usually not a fairy tale and law of diminishing returns kick in (The higher you reach, the harder you fall if you unnecessarily keep climbing with diminishing skills. Many of our superstars have gone through that) :((

And, of course, selectors will be under the gun too for not giving youngsters enough chances 

Edited by zen

This could be the last WC for a number of the more famous players: Dhoni, Rohit, Dhawan

If any of them fail, they will be criticized harshly I think. I don't think the smaller players like Rayudu or Jadhav, if they fail, will get as much attention as the aforementioned 3.

Kohli will get the most  praise/scrutiny whether we win or lose, and whether he plays well or poorly. 

The only debacle that will arise is if we agree to play the WC alongside Terroristan....a sellout of national interest for short term gains.  

And then the scapegoat should be CoA, BCCI, GOI whatever. Doubt Indian public will put up with that level of ****. 

I pray that better sense prevails and we pull out. Govt has done reasonably well post Pulwama, we need to keep up the pressure. I wasn't in favor of such a drastic measure a week ago because I felt sports/culture ban should be side dish and not main course. Now thanks to Modi, IAF, WC Abhinandan, India diplomacy etc we have started the process. Use cricket to further tighten the screws, complement the other actions. Heavens won't fall if we sacrifice a WC, not when thousands of our countrymen are suffering because of the evil next door.  

Edited by Gollum
50 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

KL Rahul. Kohli should have given up the no.3 spot and batted at 4 and given this lad consistent chances at 3. That gives a lot more stability to that lineup and Rahul could have played his natural game. 

KL Rahul should draw inspiration form his namesake from his state. Rahul Dravid batted wherever he was asked to bat. Opened innings, batted at 3, 5 , In Tests 6. Ganguly was also batting all over the line up. At the end of the day batting is batting. He cannot wait forever for a perfect batting spot. He should start embracing whatever the position he bats at. 4 is a pretty good spot. When someone like Dhoni, Yuvraj could achieve so much by mostly batting at 5 or 6, 4 is not such a bad spot.