World wrestling body asks all national federations to suspend dealing with India

Gollum

United World Wrestling recommended all the national wrestling federations associated with them to suspend their relations with Wrestling Federation of India.

HIGHLIGHTS

• United World Wrestling asked for suspension of relations with India after IOC's stance
  • IOC suspended discussions with India for hosting of global events ahead of Shooting World Cup
  • IOC's actions came in the wake of visa denial to Pakistan shooters after Pulwama terror attack

The United World Wrestling (UWW) has asked all the national federations under it to stop communication with the Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) in the wake of visa denial of Pakistani shooters in the recent World Cup here.

The denial of visa to Pakistani shooters had led to the International Olympic Committee suspending discussions with India for hosting future global events.

"UWW recommends to all the affiliated and associated national wrestling federations to suspended their discussions or relations with the Indian wrestling federation," the world body wrote in its letter to national federations, according to a WFI source.

Neither WFI President Brij Bhusan Sharan nor Assistant Secretary Vinod Tomar could be reached for comments.

The denial of visas to Pakistani shooters in the Delhi World Cup last month has jeopardised India's chances of hosting the Olympics or any global event with the IOC suspending all such discussions with the country and recommending that no big tournament be awarded to it.

India denied visas to Pakistani shooters for the World Cup in the wake of the Pulwama terror attack, which killed 40 CRPF personnel. As a result, the IOC revoked the two Olympic quotas on offer in the men's 25m Rapid Fire Pistol competition of the event.

It remains to be seen to what extent the UWW directive would affect Indian wrestlers.

At the just-concluded Dan Kolov event in Bulgaria, Indian wrestlers had put up an impressive show as they won two gold and two silver medals.

Bajrang Punia and Pooja Dhanda won gold while Sakshi Malik and Vinesh Phogat settled for silver medals.

LINK

Which bastard in GOI took the decision to take panga with IOC? Do these people think IOC=ICC? Why do we punish our own people in the guise of taking a moral stance? Indian wrestling needs support, not this shabby treatment. Pakistan doesn't even have high calibre wrestlers, their rubbish athletes haven't qualified to these big events for many decades now. Have we harmed them or our own potential superstars via this dick move? 

What next? India to pull out of UN, WHO, IMF, ADB, WB, FIFA etc to lodge a symbolic protest against Pakistan? 

While this PM/govt/NSA deserve credit for not being pussies like UPA in dealing with terror attacks, have to say that they are milking this situation for political reasons. Why should Jitu Rai, Sushil Kumar or Sakshi Malik suffer for ensuring Modi gets a bit more political mileage? This is sick, a govt at war with its own patriotic people !!!

G@nd mein dam hai toh Kashmir mein kuch karo naa. 

Edited by Gollum

We have little standing in Olympic politics, so we wouldn't likely be able to isolate the Bakis there. They don't qualify for anything anyway, so it's not like we would play them. 

Even if an event was held in India, considering the current situation, they may not even be allowed by their government to travel here.  

Edited by Tibarn

2 hours ago, Gollum said:

While this govt deserves credit for not being pussies like UPA in dealing with terror attacks, have to say that they are milking this situation for political reasons. Why should Jitu Rai, Sushil Kumar or Sakshi Malik suffer for ensuring Modi gets a bit more political mileage? This is sick, a govt at war with its own patriotic people !!!

Oh so now it is political mileage? You should apply the same rules to every sporting arena ,be it cricket or squash or any other sports ,why only boycott cricket ? Why not other sports ?just because they dont have the intl clout? So ethics and national pride goes for a toss for other sports?

Selective boycott means hogwash ! And you would have been the first one to point out the GOi for selective boycotting 

2 hours ago, Tibarn said:

We have little standing in Olympic politics, so we wouldn't likely be able to isolate the Bakis there. 

Exactly dude, silly to expect us to get our way there. We need to stick to cricket, kabaddi atm and maybe in a few years make a push for it in hockey..still will be difficult. I wish I could say chess because we have significant clout in FIDE....but there is no Pak! in the top 10,000 ranked players, so they have isolated themselves already, their number 1 player will get bitch-slapped around by our U-12 girl's champion Divya Deshmukh :phehe:.  

They don't qualify for anything anyway, so it's not like we would play them. 

Precisely, no athlete from Pakistan qualified for 2016 Rio main event. We will never have to face them, our competition is elsewhere. Maybe one of our athletes may run into a Pak! hobbyist in trials, that's that. I'd say crush that Pak! and be done with it, once in a lifetime occurrence. Majority won't have to face 1 Pak! in their entire career. 

Another point to be taken into consideration is they aren't financially hurt if we pull out of these games. In cricket, we provide huge revenue to ICC which is then redistributed to other boards. Indian fans are funding PCB, that isn't the case here, so we can't apply the same logic. Also our cricketers can be sustained if we avoid ICC. The wrestlers, boxers, shooters, archers etc have trained all their lives for these rare events and if we take that away, what is left for them? A few like Sushil, Sakshi, Narang etc win Olympic medals and make it big, but there are many who shine in Asian Games/CWG and then get money, fame, jobs etc...some recognition for their dedication and sacrifice. We shouldn't indulge in self-harm in trying to hurt Pak!s. Indian sports is on the rise, many potential superstars waiting to take the world by storm...now's not the time to apply brakes.  

Even if an event was held in India, considering the current situation, they may not even be allowed by their government to travel here.  

That should have been done. Let their govt ban their useless athletes from competing in India. Even if 1-2 come here for trials it shouldn't be a problem because they don't attract much attention, mostly they aren't even shown live. Public is generally unaware of these events...only dedicated followers who are very few in number keep track of these things, a day late. And they don't care about Pak!s, it is only about Team India getting as many Olympic berths as possible. 

Edited by Gollum

36 minutes ago, Adi BB said:

Oh so now it is political mileage? You should apply the same rules to every sporting arena ,be it cricket or squash or any other sports ,why only boycott cricket ? Why not other sports ?just because they dont have the intl clout? So ethics and national pride goes for a toss for other sports?

Selective boycott means hogwash ! And you would have been the first one to point out the GOi for selective boycotting 

Explained in my previous post. Go through it and if you have disagreement, come back. But why I make a distinction between cricket and others I will repeat again. 

1. India funds PCB and in turn the Pak govt. Not the case in other sports.

2. India has to face Pak in ICC events. I am more or less sure that Sushil, Sakshi, Saina, Sindhu etc may never have been in the same building as a Pak! athlete in their entire careers. 

3. If India pulls out of WC, Indian cricket won't die because we have clout. Even outside ICC we can form a successful parallel body, IPL is always there. If India repeats this stunt in other sports they will meet their end, all the hard work of last 20 years will go down the drain. Are you seriously comparing cricket with say wrestling? Without Olympics, would you even be aware of the existence of a Sushil Kumar or Abhinav Bindra? 

4. Indian cricket has made its presence felt. Other sports are about to get recognition. Why throw it all away? You don't want Hima Das or Neeraj Chopra to make it big in Tokyo/Paris?

5. We can make noise in cricket, attract attention and shame Pakistan. In Olympics we have very little aukaat, Pakistan is literally absent. Other countries won't give a damn if we two bicker there. Tomorrow if India and/or Pakistan declare that they are boycotting UFC, will UFC give a damn? Same as cricket/kabaddi? If tomorrow Russia says it is pulling out of ICC because of political differences with USA, will anyone even notice the drama? Will all cricket fans get shellacked knowing that cricket rankings mean zilch without USA/Russia presence? 

I am all for ethics and national pride, but I also believe in being pragmatic. I want us to hurt Pakistan but I won't recommend a situation where we are harming ourselves without a scratch on our enemy. Here we are losing everything, Pak is losing nothing. 

Edited by Gollum

5 hours ago, Gollum said:

While this govt deserves credit for not being pussies like UPA in dealing with terror attacks, have to say that they are milking this situation for political reasons. Why should Jitu Rai, Sushil Kumar or Sakshi Malik suffer for ensuring Modi gets a bit more political mileage? This is sick, a govt at war with its own patriotic people !!!

Relax, all will be well before Olympics.  Don't disagree with you that better planning and thoughts should have gone into actions taken.  

12 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

@Gollum Why didn't you participate in the ICF world chess championship?

You would have also gotten the opportunity to lose to me like the rest, a la,

@FischerTal @Straight Drive

Or maybe pulled a @Singh bling and forfeit before playing.

:p:

I can surely say that your rapid chess game is very very good and at professional level. I say that because not many opponents catch novelty moves, especially in a rapid game, and you caught one of my novelty in that match. That makes the match one of the memorable match i have played, although being on losing side.

Edited by Straight Drive

1 minute ago, Straight Drive said:

I can surely say that your rapid chess game is very very good and at professional level. I say that because not many opponents catch novelty moves, especially in a rapid game, and you caught one of my novelty in that match. That makes the match one of the memorable match i have played, although being on losing side.

I was just trolling you guys. I play only rapid. I haven't the patience or the wherewithal to play a routine game. You would beat me easily in regular chess.

28 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

@Mariyam is a genius and in my opinion the wittiest poster of this forum. She is generally in form during IPL season, when I take hiatus. I joined the forum after her and when I was a lurker I used to often check her posts for the laughs, she was more active back then. 

Edited by Gollum

5 hours ago, sandeep said:

Relax, all will be well before Olympics.  Don't disagree with you that better planning and thoughts should have gone into actions taken.  

Tokyo 2020 qualifications have started or will start in full flow this year.

^ Exactly, United World Wrestling should not do politics. Its job is to spread wrestling, India is one place where wrestling is one of the very popular sport. Its just that format and rules differ among Indians. It should work hard to streamline the format by developing more facilities and working with Indian sports federation.

52 minutes ago, mishra said:

^ Exactly, United World Wrestling should not do politics. Its job is to spread wrestling, India is one place where wrestling is one of the very popular sport. Its just that format and rules differ among Indians. It should work hard to streamline the format by developing more facilities and working with Indian sports federation.

This body is involved with wrestling in Olympics and hence follows IOC. More sports bodies associated with IOC too, this is just the tip of the iceberg. In the coming days I see problems for all our athletes preparing hard for Tokyo. The dickheads in GOI responsible for this mess better go to IOC and beg for forgiveness. 

2 minutes ago, Gollum said:

This body is involved with wrestling in Olympics and hence follows IOC. More sports bodies associated with IOC too, this is just the tip of the iceberg. In the coming days I see problems for all our athletes preparing hard for Tokyo. The dickheads in GOI responsible for this mess better go to IOC and beg for forgiveness. 

Yes, pulling string Is needed. IOC is not priority. Olympics can not chuckout India. It has no basis. GoI can simply ignore them. That will make it no issue. 

GoI is not to bow to IOC. IOC can be told off whatever times by Olympic Federation. But any action they take, is illegal. 

GoI , Ignoring them is best policy

Now India will grant visas for sportspersons from all countries, including Pakistan

We have paid a price, our women wrestlers weren't invited to the all important wrestling camp by the Japanese federation which saw participation by all medal prospects from over 20 countries. A chance to spar with the best in the business. Who will talk about the athletes who suffered because of GOI's stupidity? 

Edited by Gollum

1 minute ago, Gollum said:

Now India will grant visas for sportspersons from all countries, including Pakistan

We have paid a cost, our women wrestlers weren't invited to the all important wrestling camp by the Japanese federation which saw participation by all medal prospects from over 20 countries. A chance to spar with the best in the business. Who will talk about the athletes who suffered because of GOI's stupidity? 

Stupid are these people not boycotting Pakistan for terrorism.