POLL : Seeking the right team combination for World Cup

SK_IH

Right team combination for World Cup ?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Right team combination for World Cup?

• Combo A - two wristys, two seamers, 1 all rounder
    • Combo B - one wristy, 3 seamers, 1 all rounder 
    • Combo C - two spinners (one phoney Jadeja), 2 seamers , 1 all rounder 
    • Combo D- two spinners, two seamers, relying on Shankar-Jadhav to finish the 5th bowler quota 
    • Any other (please specify)

The WC  squad of 15 has been announced :

1. Virat
  2. MSD
  3. Rohit
  4. Dhawan
  5. KL Rahul
  6. K Jadhav
  7. Dinesh Karthik
  8. V Shankar
  9. Hardik
  10. Jadeja
  11. Bhuvi
  12. Bumrah
  13. Shami
  14. Kuldeep
  15. Chahal

On the basis of those selections , there can be multiple team combinations, which can be following :

Combo A - two wristys, two seamers, 1 all rounder

Rohit ,  Dhawan, Virat, Vijay Shankar, MSD, K Jadhav, Hardik, Kuldeep, Shami, Chahal, Bumrah, 

Combo B - one wristy, 3 seamers, 1 all rounder 

Rohit ,  Dhawan, Virat, Vijay Shankar, MSD, K Jadhav, Hardik, Bhuvi, Kuldeep, Shami, Bumrah, 

Combo C - two spinners (one phoney Jadeja), 2 seamers , 1 all rounder 

Rohit ,  Dhawan, Virat, Vijay Shankar, MSD, K Jadhav, Hardik, Jadeja, Kuldeep, Shami, Bumrah, 

Combo D- two writys spinners, two seamers, relying on Shankar-Jadhav to finish the 5th bowler quota 

Rohit ,  Dhawan, Virat, Another batsman, Vijay Shankar, MSD, K Jadhav, , Kuldeep, Shami, Chahal, Bumrah, 

Edited by SK_IH

Combo A for me. You have 7 bowlers and 7 batsmen. Your one main bowler may get tonked so you need 7th bowler to cover up. In any case, I would be more comfortable to divide 20 overs among Hardik, Jadhav and Shankar rather than two of those. We need Hardik at number 7 just for his hitting ability. 

Between A and B. We shouldn't blindly go for two wrist spinners. Chahal will be hammered on non-spin tracks. An option should be kept open between Chahal and Kumar. There will be two all-rounders including Jadhav and one of Pandya/Shankar. 

My teams, 

Team 1:

Rohit

Dhawan

Rahul

Kohli

Jadhav

Pandya

Dhoni (:facepalm:)

Kuldeep

Kumar / Chahal

Shami

Bumrah

Team 2:

Rahul

Dhawan

Kohli

Shankar

Jadhav

Pandya

Kuldeep

Kumar / Chahal

Shami

Bumrah

Team 3: 

Rahul

Dhawan

Kohli

Shankar

Pant

Pandya

Kuldeep

Kumar / Chahal

Shami

Bumrah

Edited by Lannister

First XI:

Dhawan

Rohit

Kohli

Shankar/Jadhav/Dhoni/Pandya (unsure of the batting order)

Bhuvi

Shami

Kuldeep

Bumrah

So combo B works for me...I don't consider Jadhav/Shankar as proper all rounders like Pandya. Sure they can roll their arms and be effective back ups but that's about it.

I will use Bhuvi like how England uses Willey....7/8 overs front up when ball is new and there is some swing available. This way Shami/Bumrah can be used more in middle/death overs. We need Bhuvi the number 8 batsman...pretty sure we will have match situations where it will be incumbent on a main batsman batting with the lower order to chase down a manageable score in the final 5/10 overs. We would need someone like Bhuvi who can at least rotate the strike and give confidence to the batsman at the other end. Also with Bhuvi at #8, our batters can up the ante with more freedom while batting first, rather than the case where we have 4 duds from 8-11. 

First 3/4th of the tournament we need only 1 wristie. Then as wear and tear on the pitches increase, as temperatures soar we can think of playing Chahal...he can make his way in place of an under-performing quick. Will be a mistake to play Kulcha right from the word go, tracks won't be supportive enough. 

Edited by Gollum

Yup India is so orthodox in their approach that they always try to sneak in 2 spinners irrespective of pitch conditions and against whom we are playing. Same mistake we did in ct17 where a 3rd fast bowlers was required. Ideally in eng we should start with 3 fast bowler + all-rounder + Kuldeep.

On 3/11/2019 at 12:39 PM, Stan AF said:

Bhuvis inclusion into the squad is frankly terrifying. He bowled like **** yesterday. Didn't look like taking a single wicket and got hit around like a dog on the streets. Such a waste.

He bowled well up front, was more economical than bumrah early on. Every one got hit in the end and not because of their inability but because of dew. I won't judge anyone based on that. Nothing you can do when there is dew. Dew is also partly responsible for drops and midfields. It happens a lot whenever outfield has dew. Leather balls becomes too slippery and difficult to control.

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

Rohit, dhawan, Kohli, Shankar, Dhoni, jadhav, pandya, kuldeep, chahal, Shami/BK, bumrah

Can Shankar play at no4, look at no4s around the world. India might be having the weakest no4 and no 5 in Dhoni.Jadhav is not the great either.